I'm a Purple belt thinking of demoting myself to white belt

If you got kicked out of your gym for hurting your training partners, it almost certainly wasn't a one-time thing. Screwing up that guy's knee was probably just the last straw. Maybe you should take it down a notch in training.

Don't take this the wrong way, but is there possibly more to your story?

You train somewhere for years (enough time to earn a purple belt) and are the highest ranked student in the gym beside the instructor.

Then you hurt someone on accident one time and your instructor tells you that you have to leave without even hearing your side of the story?

Something doesn't add up. Also, have you been bad mouthing the gym or your instructor to anyone? Either they are being completely irrational by not even letting you come inside the door to pick up your girlfriend or there is more to your story.

Anyway, I would of just waited in my car to pick my girlfriend up. Going back inside is kind of weird after that kind of split.

I agree that this story doesn't add up. But just because you've been tapped by some blues you are going to spit your dummy out and go to white? You need to grow up

You train somewhere for years (enough time to earn a purple belt) and are the highest ranked student in the gym beside the instructor.

Then you hurt someone on accident one time and your instructor tells you that you have to leave without even hearing your side of the story?

Something doesn't add up. Also, have you been bad mouthing the gym or your instructor to anyone? Either they are being completely irrational by not even letting you come inside the door to pick up your girlfriend or there is more to your story.

Anyway, I would of just waited in my car to pick my girlfriend up. Going back inside is kind of weird after that kind of split.

Yeah. Could be that the TS is a jerk. Or that the coach is, hence a gym full of newbs

Exactly. And not only do they ask him to leave but just at the sight of him returning for a friendly visit they have to BAN HIM FROM THE PREMISES. There's gotta be more to this.

And when people switch gyms they often have difficulty simply due to the foreign environment and that the members of the new gym emphasize certain techniques and styles not practiced at the old gym. Sounds like this guy needs to humble himself-- not by making some big dramatic gesture like throwing away a belt, but by relaxing and accepting that training is not always about winning and losing.

so switch schools,demote yourself, so you can sandbag? seems like u're purple belt level from what you're describing anyways

There is probably more to this.

Have you competed? I don't think anyone who regularly competes would doubt their belt level or anything like that. They'd also feel secure getting tapped by lower belts, cause that shit doesn't matter when you have solid competition results.

I would talk to the instructor at the new gym. Start by explaining (honestly, without exaggeration) that the guys here are much better than at your old school. You used to dominate everyone but here you get tapped by people you would expect to tap. That will flatter him, but it's the truth.

Then you tell him your thoughts, like you don't think it's fair to the other students to keep your purple belt, or you feel uncomfortable, or whatever your justification is. Most likely he'll say don't worry about it stay at purple, and he'll just wait longer to promote you until you've caught up. That's what happened when I came to my current school as a not-so-good blue belt. Or maybe he does the opposite and say sure, you can wear a blue belt here. And then you kind of got your wish. But don't just throw out your belt and start wearing a white belt, that would be kind of weird.

I was going to say this, but with more monosyllables and cursing.

Your story doesn't make sense to me, and neither does your solution.

Why would an instructor just kick out his best student because he's too dangerous...for one incident? I've never seen anything like that. If anything, the instructor usually makes excuses for his or her best student. I have a feeling it was a recurring thing.

Also, demoting yourself is not cool IMO, especially if you are tapping other purples belts. You don't have to be the best purple belt in your gym to be a purple belt. I train with one guy who demoted himself from blue to white when he came to our school, but the gym he came from was complete BS and he was not blue belt level by any means. Talk to your new instructor. If you respect him then you will take his advice.

And get your girlfriend to switch ASAP. That's a shitty situation

Ask your new coach if he thinks you're purple belt level. Tell him what happened, and if he thinks you deserve a purple belt, ask if he can be a purple belt officially under him.

You keep purple, lots of happys, good day.

Maybe you guys are right. That getting tapped by blues isn't a big deal. That's fair. My ego was a little hurt, but I guess that'll pass. Maybe I'm a lower level purple and I'll feel better about it when I improve. I'll just ask my new coach what he thinks of my level.

I said the "too dangerous" thing because it's ridiculous. He said I'm a danger to them because I'm well trained and I apparently hurt people. I'm not dangerous. I'm not a spaz, I don't crank subs when people won't tap, people don't leave the mats after rolling with me with bloody noses because I spazzed out and elbowed them on accident. I get out of bad positions with technique not by going crazy. I beat people on technique and strategy not muscle.

I spar hard with the pros because I can take it and so can they. We have fun and beat eachother up. That's how I like sparring. That's usually how they like it.

The guy I sparred claimed to me that he didn't blame me. That we were just going hard and shit happens. He said he told the instructor that too.

But maybe when I wasn't there he was bitter about it and told the coach that I was going too hard or something. I don't know.

You are only getting my side of the story and this is how it happened from my point of view. I don't know what people are saying behind the scenes... What the coach thinks he sees that makes him think I'm dangerous. He's always telling students that you hit as hard as you want to get hit and that sort of thing so when a student ramps up the intensity they should expect to get hit back as hard in turn. It's only fair. That's the scenario as I saw it.

In the instructors defense, he admitted that he didn't see it but that if I'm hurting people like that I'm obviously doing something wrong. I disagree with that, but he wasn't trying to be a super dick. I just don't see how he can be such a dick about it.

Sounds like your old coach wants to bang your girlfriend IMO

What are pro fighters doing training at a scrub city like that anyway?

If you can tap some of the purples at the new gym, do you think they are at white belt level also?

Demoting yourself is a ridiculous ideal. The only time in which it would be appropriate would be if the instructor who gave you the rank was not a certifiable black belt. Just suck it up and be a scrub purple for awhile and focus on improving your game and becoming a purple belt whose skill is more in line with your new surroundings.

Take you girlfriend and the rest of your friends to the new club.

Not sure if trolling or not, but it's threads like this that make me embarrassed to be doing BJJ and checking this forum. You would never see this drama in a boxing gym

Have you stopped to think that waiting out in the car would solve all of your problems at the other gym?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back