Illinois Budget Crisis - Will They Be the First State to Go Broke?

Jorge Luis Borges

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
The debt problem in the US is very bad at the federal level, with Bush and Obama more than doubling our national debt in the last ten years.

But less discussed is the massive debt owed by the individual states, and the potential political crisis that develops when one or more states (almost inevitably at this point) defaults on its debt. Illinois is in a tough spot right now, with even lottery services threatening to suspend services to the state.

Check out this public letter from the state comptroller published on her website:
https://illinoiscomptroller.gov/new...reaches-out-to-state-leadership/#.WUqMGmjyu71

"... I must communicate to you at this time the full extent of our dire fiscal straits and the potential disruptions that we face in addressing even our most critical core responsibilities going forward into the new fiscal year. My Office has very serious concerns that, in the coming weeks, the State of Illinois will no longer be able to guarantee timely and predictable payments in a number of areas that we have to date managed (albeit with extreme difficulty) despite an unpaid bill backlog in excess of $15 billion and growing rapidly.

We are effectively hemorrhaging money as the state’s spending obligations have exceeded receipts by an average of over $600 million per month over the past year.

"My cause for alarm is rooted in the increasing deficit spending combined with new and ongoing cash management demands stemming from decisions from state and federal courts, the latest being the class action lawsuit filed by advocates representing the Medicaid service population served by the state’s Managed Care Organizations (MCOs). As of June 15, the MCOs, and their provider networks, are owed a total of more than $2.8 billion in overdue bills at the Comptroller’s Office. There is no question that these obligations should be paid in a more timely manner and that the payment delays caused by the state’s financial condition negatively impact the state’s healthcare infrastructure. We are currently in court directed discussions to reach a workable and responsive payment schedule going forward, but any acceleration of the timing of those payments under the current circumstances will almost certainly affect the scheduling of other payments, regardless of other competing court orders and Illinois statutory mandates.
"

Recently, Moody's Investor Services, a credit fating firm, has warned that unless a budget is passed soon (Illinois has essentially functioned without a budget for the past three years) Illinois could become the first state to be downgraded to junk status. It also emphasized that the financial problems of the state are political in nature, and not due to a recession or external economic factors.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...et-moodys-rauner-met-0331-20170330-story.html

If no budget is passe by July 1, we could see things really come apart by the seams.

I bet it's because of Chicago, the corruption and the leftist politicians that come from there

They need a community organizer to get them back on track.

Good

A dysfunctional state is a good state

The less money they have the less shit they can do

I bet it's because of Chicago, the corruption and the leftist politicians that come from there
madigan has been in power every year since 1983 not counting 2 years.

hes got a lock down on the state and the consequences are finally arriving.

IL is fastest decaying state, doctors arent getting paid and are leaving for other states, the nurses they hire are getting laid off en mass.

Schools arent getting paid ect.

Not good.

I live in IL and both parties suck in the state. Both Dem and Rep governors have gone to prison Like Blagojevich (D) for corruption and George Ryan (R) for corruption for example. Aaron Shock (R) was 18th congressional district rep and he was indicted on fraud and theft. Mel Reynolds (D) resigned on a statutory rape case and Dan Crane (R) had a sex scandal. Dennis Hastert (R) had a corruption scandal.

I now vote third party in local/state elections in IL since both sides in our state have been shown to be scum bags.

I live in IL and both parties suck in the state. Both Dem and Rep governors have gone to prison Like Blagojevich (D) for corruption and George Ryan (R) for corruption for example. Aaron Shock (R) was 18th congressional district rep and he was indicted on fraud and theft. Mel Reynolds (D) resigned on a statutory rape case and Dan Crane (R) had a sex scandal. Dennis Hastert (R) had a corruption scandal.

I now vote third party in local/state elections in IL since both sides in our state have been shown to be scum bags.
Yes, I tried hard to keep the parties out of this, though that's probably impossible. Illinois is a notoriously corrupt state, mainly due to Chicago, but state debt issues are a nation-wide problem.

I just moved from Illinois. When I was there we liked to joke, our governors make our license plates.

Hopefully the state will workout a budget and pay off some debt. I know of some in the medical field owed a great deal of money through the sate for services given. Last I hear they had to resort to asking for payment from patients, saying the government program owed them to much money. The University of Illinois was looking to grow their way out of the problem, essentially allow more students into the University. Hopefully it will work. I imagine the other Universities will not be as successful with a similar idea but who knows.

Theyre state was a customer at the company I work at and took over a year to pay us because of the budget stalemate. It's the one government agency we considered withdrawaling credit terms for.

Last edited:
al-capone.jpg

Repercussions are still going.

I read it has a lot to do w/ pensions for state employees and the safety net, not sure how accurate that is

Governor of Illinois is a filthy rich republican businessman who was notorious for outsourcing jobs

Just thought that was worth a mention..

hard to pay for those fat government pensions and all the dependents in chiraq

I read it has a lot to do w/ pensions for state employees and the safety net, not sure how accurate that is
This is what I've read as well. The problem is not limited to Illinois. Pretty much every state that allows public sector unions has massive debt problems.

Just kill education like Louisiana, what could go wrong?

Governor of Illinois is a filthy rich republican businessman who was notorious for outsourcing jobs

Just thought that was worth a mention..
And the gov before him was a filthy rich Dem that thought we could live on the moon wasn't it?

This is what I've read as well. The problem is not limited to Illinois. Pretty much every state that allows public sector unions has massive debt problems.
As a public sector employee, this is the fault of the state. My pension is covered by a privately held pension fund, my employer makes contributions which are equal to the ones I make, but once I retire they hold no responsibility.

Back