Ilk's Log - Boxing, soccer, conditioning

Not very often the last half an year. It is just that I work at different spots, often resorts and there are no martial art gym. I try to shadow box, bag work, or spar with friends to keep things going.

Morning private boxing class

Private session at 7 am today. I was so angry with my bad habits from the video I posted. I called yesterday a 79 years old coach who has an olympic medal in boxing and explained him the situation. Showed the video to him. He laughed at it and we worked on my posture, my feet and snapping my shots. 1 hour of jabbing, footwork, 1-2, 1-1-2.

Basically my stance has been way too wide. He showed me the boxing stance first and then we worked something similar which is not that bladed. He explained it is just another boxing stance. Explained me to transfer weight. Explained to me jump often at a spot to check my stance and how good my feet are staying.
Then footwork, he wanted way smaller steps, way way smaller steps. Again jumping up relaxed to check my feet if they are wide.
Snapping the shots - less hip rotation, more snap that comes from the back foot and weight transfer. When you snap like he asks your hands come very fast into a defending position. Again feet are narrow, steps are small, just weight transfer and a snap. Like if you are hitting with a skewer or a small sword. Very relaxed hands, rotating the hands and putting strenght only at the end.
Getting the posture up all the time, he was shouting at me to relax and get up, chin down. Arms relaxed, back relaxed, chin down, feet relaxed.

Very, very good experience that costed me only 5 Euro. I am in love with this coach, hopefully he can help me lose some bad habits.

Afternoon
1 hour of boxing drills and spar with a friend

Been working on distance drills for 1-1, 1-2, 1-1-2 and some simple counters. I tried to box simple and apply what I learned from today. It was way better but still lots of work to be done.

Last edited:

Morning

Conditioning training with few friends I have no clue how to explain most of the exercises so I should try my best. It was a very short explosive training.

Warm up 4x4 sets of power cleans with 30 kg

3 circles

1. Kettlebell cleans 12.5kgx10 each hand
30 second rest
2. Bench press - 5x60kg
30 seconds rest
3. Around the world with a 20kg plate 10x
30 second rest
4. Inverted body weight rows x10
30 second rest and repeat the circle
core work with planks and some crunch variations for about 5 mins.

The bad news I have gained a lot of new weight - I am 95 kg now :*(

Noon Strength Training Military Press

Military press - 3x8x40 kg
Pull down - 3x10x50kg
Push exercise 3x10x50kg
Rowing exercise - 3x10x50kg
Rowing exercise - 3x10-x50kg
Rear delts machine - 3x12x25 kg
Some biceps and triceps work just 2 sets x15 reps with 25kg

Afternoon - 1 hour tennis

Damn that was a very busy day!

Last edited:

Boxing private session.

Working on the 1-2, the jab, the cross on pads and a bag. Some footwork and trowing the jab, the 1-2 and the cross on the move. Lots of relaxation while footworking and trowing, working on the posture and body posture when trowing. Some work on the guard.

There were 2 more people, to whom the pull counter was explained and how to draw it and how to flow in between their jabs and drawing a counter so they can pull and trow the cross. I was watching with amazement. Then they did some side steps with a cross counter. While I was struggling to trow a proper cross :D. The coach wanted me to relax on it, and not trow it with the body at all, but just transfer weight from leg to hand, without moving the body. He also wanted that on the jab, just to do a little semi jump initiated with the rear foot to make the weight transfer. Then he gave us a story about a national boxer who he has coached who has been terrible on the pads, but so relaxed on the body and the feet that in a boxing match you can not really hit him.

Morning Boxing Private Session

Today I sucked too much. I was not doing anything properly. We worked on footwork and trowing a quick punch on the move but God I sucked. The coach tried to encourage me, but it was not a good work out. Then we did some cross and 1-1-2, a bit working on the guard, to try different ones and see what would suit me more.

Noon Lower Body Strenght Training Squat

Squat 3x8x80kg
Leg Curls for the back side 3x12x50kg
Hyperextensions - 3x15 body weight
Walking Lunges with Dumbbells - 3x12 steps each leg x 20kg
Calfs - 4x15x55kg
Simple core work

I am too tired, so I need a day off this week, but not sure when.

Last edited:
So I took 2-3 days off. I was even a bit sick, I guess I over trained a bit too much the last week.

21.05.2017 - Just 1 hour and 15 minutes of soccer. I gave it all on my gas tank today I was well rested so I put a lot of effort running. Proper cardio training.

Strenght Training Bench Press Upper Body

Bench Press 5x65kg but I felt pain in my wrist, it was injured a bit from before so I dropped weight and worked with low kgs
Bench Press 2x8x60kg
Barbell Row 3x12x50kg
Inclined Bench Press 3x8x50kg
Pull Downs 3x10x50kg
Peck Deck - 3x12x35 kg
2 sets of 15 reps tricpes and biceps

Shitty work out, due to my left wrist. I may take a break from the Strenght work outs.

Morning
Private boxing class

Working on a moving and jabing, moving and 1-2, moving and 1-1-2. Later I did some 2 and slips, 1-2 and slip. Then on the boxing bag 1-1-2 while moving forward and backwards. Simple techniques. And guard and stance work. The coach is never happy with my guard and stance. He wants me taking something close to a Muay Thai stance, squared, legs very close to each other, hands in front of me. When I move to the left and to the right he wants me to move very squared too. I am slowly getting rid of my bad habit to lean in and be front foot heavy, but still much work to do.

Next time according to my coach we will add some creative work on the inside. Combining 1-2 with some fast and quick 1-2-1-2 on the inside or while moving outside.

Noon
Strength Training Lower Body Dead Lift

Dead Lift 3x8x85kg
Leg Press - 3x12x120kg
Leg Curls for the back side - 3x12x55kg
Back hyper extensions 4x12xbody weight + 10kg
Calfs - 4x15x55kg
4 sets of core work

5 rounds x2 min bagwork
1 round x 1 min bagwork

Here is the last round. I finally was able to make someone record me. Still lots of work on the bad habits are needed but there are some improvements it seems.

Last edited:
25.05.2017 - Morning

Private boxing session - same stuff as yesterday. We did not move forward as the coach did not like my cross again. He likes my jab, but my stance, guard, cross and bringing my hands back to guard position need work.

Afternoon

Core work. Did a 10 min core work which included different type of crunches, burpees, extensions and push ups.

I do not really remember the sequence but imagine the following:
exercise 1 x 20
exercise 2 x 20
exercise 3 x 20
exercise 4 x 20
10 burpees + 10 push ups

all that x4, while all exercises were different.

Last edited:

I am not sure how often I will update and train the next month an a half as I have exams coming and I am planning to get engaged in early July. I am also starting a job in June. I will try to train as often as possible, but it will be more rear than now.

I would have liked to call this block so far a general conditioning one. It did not last long but it was fine. If at Winter I was running more, now at Spring I was lifting more weights.

What I did:
- increased the cardio with LISS runs
- did a body building routine to get back to some general strength levels doing mainly x8 and x10 rep ranges and 3 sets I am glad with the results although I wanted 70 kg Bench, 100 kg dead lift and squad at 3x8.
- found a proper stand up sports fighting coach to teach me the basics
I am very glad with the results!

What I am planning to to do in near future next 2-4 weeks
Keep on working as much as possible before my girlfriend and hopefully future fioncee comes. She is coming mid June. Take a couple of weeks off to engage and settle down with the new job and find out what resources for training I have available.

Long term plans
Plan A) There is a proper fitness gym and I work on Strength during the summer
Plan B) There is no gym and I work on explosiveness and athleticism - some LISS running at the beach, some swimming, lots of sprints, hill sprints, circuits for cardio work. Lots of burpees, jumping, push ups, pull ups, crunches and I will look for equipment for body weight exercises and try to find some plan or routine or program on working with my body. I have never worked with body weight before as I have been over weighted in the last 10 years of my life and I can barelly even make 2 pull ups and dips.

I am more interested in plan B as it sounds new and may help me lose some weight in the process. I am almost always going to 85kg in the summer and 95 around the winter. So that may help me get to 80 perhaps. I will perhaps start an active training (train everyday) after mid July.

I will also shadow box a lot!

Lastly current weight update 91.8 kg. Thats hell a lot better than the 95 kg I measured a week ago.

Last edited:

Upper Body Military Press

Military Press
8 reps x 40 kg
5 reps x45 kg
4 reps x 45 kg
8 reps x 40 kg

Pull Downs 3x8x60kg

Dumbbell Press 3x12x 15 kg each dumbbell

Machine Rows 3x8x60kg

Rear Dealths Machine 4x12x30 kg

Grip, biceps and triceps work kept it short 2 sets of 15 for example

Upperbody Bench Press very intensive

Bench press 3x8x60kg
Machine Rows 3x8x55kg
Declined Bench Press 3x8x50
Pull Downs 3x8x55kg
Peck Deck - 3x8x40kg
Rear Dealths - 4x12x35kg
Some biceps and tripceps work

I had very little time so with a friend of mine we decided to do one quick upper body work out. All that took 35 mins.

Morning Private boxing session.

Working on 1-2, 1-2-1-2, 2-1-2 and slips in between this combinations. Variety also at the level I hit - head, chest, body. Variety on the level I hit from also.

Evening LISS 30 mins running.

Last edited:
01.06.2017 LISS 30 mins run.
I drank some beers yesterday night so I am glad I woke up at 6 am and ran.

So after few days break for moving to another place.

1 hour of a high tempo soccer. I have lost some weight in these 10 days and i felt very rested. So I had an amazing game with other amateur players. I was sorry it was not a trial game for some amateur team I could have been recruited. I did god damn well today. Played as a defensive mid, I was everywhere. Took some balls, blocked some shots, played the ball well out of deep. Did a couple of good 1-2 passes which lead even to goal scoring attacks.

12/06/2017
Morning

Private boxing session. Huge disappointment. My old school coach is gone and there is a new coach who is actually a student of that 79 years old olympian. However his attention to detail and technique teaching is not there. He wants me to bang with power the pads and the bag and he teaches totally different stuff. He even said my cross is fine while I know it is not. We were working on catching jabs, cross to the body and doing 2-1-2 while moving forward and to the right with strong powerful punches.

Edit: new weight 91 kg! Seems like I have lost some weight. This is why I felt lighter yesterday at the soccer game.

I am planning on swimming in 30 mins at the sea. And some well deserved sun batting and rest.

My girlfriend is coming in about 2 weeks so there will be extra cardio work :)
Hopefully I can make her record some shadow boxing or other work out.

Afternoon

Swimming - the water was too cold but still managed to swim a bit but not more than 5 mins with some rests.

Last edited:

LISS run for 15 ish mins at the beach at 6 am.

Tried some body weight exercices just two sets. Damn that was challenging.
Squats 2x15 in a supper set with Walking Lunges 2x15 each leg
Chin ups 2x6 assisted with some jumping in a super set with Push Ups 2x10
Rows 2x8 in a super set with dips - 2x4 with a bad form
2 sets of leg rises x8

I was just testing myself and experimenting to see where I stand at. But the body weight stuff are damn hard for me.

Very bad work out I wonder if it even deserves log in but anyways.

Dynamic warm up 3 mins.

Footwork drills 3 mins - 2 steps to the left diagonal, 2 steps to the right diagonal. Starting up slow and increasing the speed to maximum.

10 sprints x 20 meters with 5 seconds rests.

2 rounds of shadow boxing.

I wanted to do more rounds but as I was training at a kids soccer pitch behind a hotel I got observers who started shouting jokes and I decided to leave.

Fun training day. My friends called me that they are going to visit me and wanted to go to the beach.
We played about an hour beach volleyball which turned kind of competitive. Most of my friends lift weights, are working for the police or are fireman or are amateur footballers.

We then did competitive swimming of approximately 25-30 meters. So I did totally of 8 x 25-30 meters of swim sprints.

Mixing sports with leasure today. But hell of a day.

Dynamic warm up 5 mins
Footwork drills 5 mins
Sprints 20x20 meter sprints - 4 sets of 5 sprints with 5 seconds slow running in between to rest and a minute rest between the sprints
Static Leg and Hip streching 5 mins

Quick work out as I wake up at 5pm after a night shift and had to get ready for another night shift.
I was planning to swim today but my skin is burned from the sun yesterday so decided to something else.

Back