IJF bans Travis Stevens from doing BJJ

Huh? How do you figure he makes anywhere close to that? Going by that video?

Based on the video and that he explicit say that private sponsors are not in the calculations. Amateur athletes that compete in the Olympic's often have a large main sponsor that pay them a salary as an "employee" and years ago I knew olympic athletes that earned the same as an engineer on yearly terms from their main sponsor but without working. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Travis have a similar deal, but he is anyway earning much more in addition from sponsors than he is showing in that video.

If he made that much money, I doubt he would say "I don't make a lot of money, so I'd like to compete in this BJJ comp so I can make some extra money"

Where in America is 200 K a year not a lot of money.

Hahaha, "not a lot of money" - compared to what? Its relative of course and compared to Conor McGregor it may be very modest, lol

I'm not too keen on the Olympic Committee in general... but the IJF is simply strong arming this athlete from doing something he loves. So F those guys.

I was really enjoying seeing some of the Hybrid Guys getting submission in this years olympics.

He should play bjj and mma before his time is up.
Fuck that.

If he's pulling 200k a year in judo, he should just keep doing that for at least a couple more years, and just train BJJ but don't compete.

Make dat cheddah, Travis.

I love Judo but well he should go to BJJ, he will be 34 and you don´t see many to become olympic champions at that age, a silver is something great in the sport, not many thought he could make it...

750x422

<cheer>

You must be a younger guy :) The Dream Team basketball squad was the "first" time that the US used it's Pro's in the Olympics. Other countries had been doing it for longer, but the US didn't bring in it's NBA players in the '92 Barcelona games.

Is it because of the ADCC wrestler syndrome? Whereby a wrestler gets a few takedowns and then stalls for the rest of the match?

Last edited:
http://www.bjjee.com/articles/travi...-personally-doing-any-jiu-jitsu-competitions/

Thoughts? Sounds like more strong arm bullshit from the IJF.

It's an interesting proposition however. Will Travis compete again in the Olympics? To be honest, I hope he doesn't. As much as I love watching him compete in Judo, Olympic training takes so much out of the athlete. At this point I'd love to see him dedicate himself full time to BJJ before his prime is spent. I think he could absolutely win the worlds if he does. Nobody can outwork him.

Who thinks he can win all three?
Judo is an absolute disaster in the United States because it operates on a fiefdom system that controls regions like the english did in the movie Braveheart.

They want to own their athletes and manipulate the contest to eliminate wrestling techniques to perversely maintain the "purity" of japanese-style Judo. If they even get a whiff of your MMA involvement they're likely to send a hit squad to your house to collect your black belt and burn it in effigy. I wish we could ban the ijf.

Olympic athletes and NCAA athletes are professionals. Whether they are paid with simply room and board (and education if an NCAA athlete) or simply paid, or very well rewarded when medaling. They are professionalathletes whose job is to train compete and win
Too bad they don't get any support like "professionals" do in the rest of the world especially in the Olympic Games.

Few serious Olympians have day jobs. They'd almost all be professionals if that was the criterion.
Countries like Korea, Japan and France find a way to maintain their Olympic athletes as professionals why can't we?

Time stamped

Travis has got some weird attitudes about Judo accessibility. In his YouTube videos he commonly states that we should not have Judo in schools the way we have wrestling, I'll never understand this attitude coming from someone with that kind of background in the sport. Can you imagine if wrestling was only available through a tiny handful of specialized for-profit clubs and not supported by our public school system? it would probably be just as unpopular as Judo is and that's pretty much DOA in the USA.

There's actually a similar policy regarding Olympic wrestling. You are not allowed to do both Greco Roman and Freestyle.

There's actually a similar policy regarding Olympic wrestling. You are not allowed to do both Greco Roman and Freestyle.
Thats different, thats because they don't want one guy being a national team for both. Ehat if he gets injured? Its screws both teams.

Thats different, thats because they don't want one guy being a national team for both. Ehat if he gets injured? Its screws both teams.

So you can switch styles between Olympics? Chanel Sonnen described it as a life path choice with no return

Interesting that Travis thinks that the grappling sport with a gazillion restrictions both in stand-up and the ground, is the best sport in the world.

Back