IJF bans Travis Stevens from doing BJJ

Ryo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
http://www.bjjee.com/articles/travi...-personally-doing-any-jiu-jitsu-competitions/

Thoughts? Sounds like more strong arm bullshit from the IJF.

It's an interesting proposition however. Will Travis compete again in the Olympics? To be honest, I hope he doesn't. As much as I love watching him compete in Judo, Olympic training takes so much out of the athlete. At this point I'd love to see him dedicate himself full time to BJJ before his prime is spent. I think he could absolutely win the worlds if he does. Nobody can outwork him.

Who thinks he can win all three?

Last edited:
What does that even mean?

That's really disappointing for the ijf to be doing things like this. I mean he had an opportunity to make a little bit of money but they denied his request. I really don't understand the mentality behind this. Seems as they hate their little cousin bjj.

Last edited:
I'd quit judo if that was the case. Bs.

Which Gracie competed in international Judo?

Olympic athletes could not participate in professional sport years ago either, this is not only about IJF.

More IJF BS. Not surprising, but still sad.

At this point, he should stop doing IJF tournaments and focus on grappling ones, hes got the medal he wanted, and theres probably more money for him now competing at grappling (specially considering he trains with DDS) than in Judo...

Don't t be naive

Do BJJ athletes at the highest levels have day jobs? No, so in that sense they're professionals. But in the terms the IJF is worried about (professional as in paid to compete) the only major open event is the World Pro. Everything else is either dependent on a qualifier or is invitational. Not sure what any of that has to do with naivety.

Do BJJ athletes at the highest levels have day jobs? No, so in that sense they're professionals. But in the terms the IJF is worried about (professional as in paid to compete) the only major open event is the World Pro. Everything else is either dependent on a qualifier or is invitational. Not sure what any of that has to do with naivety.

Few serious Olympians have day jobs. They'd almost all be professionals if that was the criterion.

Travis Stevens just want to earn some extra cash from BJJ tournaments, but as an top judo athlete he is under contract with the IJF so to speak. I'm not sure whether other sports federations approves that their top dogs goes to other sports either, but Travis should just stop competing within the IJF - same as olympic boxers used to do when going professional.

My guess is that he gets a more stable income from being in the IJF system though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he sign up for 4 more years...

The thing is, the "so to speak" in that is just him being strong armed. He didn't agree to any of this.

the "no professional stuff" is such bs, and has been a non-factor in other olympic sports for many years.

Olympic athletes and NCAA athletes are professionals. Whether they are paid with simply room and board (and education if an NCAA athlete) or simply paid, or very well rewarded when medaling. They are professionalathletes whose job is to train compete and win

That's just judo bullshit. The olympics wouldn't have a problem in a similar situation. The only sport that comes close would be boxing and even now they are allowing professionals.

Doing bjj matches shouldn't affect anything but judo is just gay like that

Back