If you train 5 days a week....

... provided you are getting enough rest to recover. Otherwise this may really slow down the process.

Yeah that's the bottle back for sure. I'm a 35 year old geezer so sometimes when i 5 days a week by Thursday or Friday my body just doesn't cooperate at all.

years dont matter, mat time is what matters, if you train 2 hourds a day x 5 days a week, thats a lot, must be young so your body doesnt break... 3 years for purple at that pace is good.

... provided you are getting enough rest to recover. Otherwise this may really slow down the process.

Eh..how must rest do you need from 1.5hr of bjj a day? Real Injuries that prevent you from training are the only thing that can slow down the process. Basic soreness or fatigue won't. Said another way, If you can complete 5 training days a week..your bjj will improve at a very nice rate. Hell, 3 good days a week is steady solid improvement.

Eh..how must rest do you need from 1.5hr of bjj a day?
It depends on experience and intensity. I train 4 days/week judo + once a week bjj, so I am an example that is doable even for an old guy. But I was gradually increasing my training starting with 1x/week 5 years ago.

I do not take soreness and fatigue lightly. They do slow down the progress.

It depends on experience and intensity. I train 4 days/week judo + once a week bjj, so I am an example that is doable even for an old guy. But I was gradually increasing my training starting with 1x/week 5 years ago.

I do not take soreness and fatigue lightly. They do slow down the progress.

The experience level was already covered in the OP. The guy was talking about going from white to blue to purple...a beginner to experienced

Ok I have trained bjj 5 days in a week before for periods of time...doesn't seem like you have. Soreness and fatigue are temporary granted less temporary when you're over 35. If you can still train you make progress. Don't really see how you don't get that. doesn't matter your age, you will be sore if your train 5 days a week. If you're under 35 two days are plenty to recover. Anyway good convo dude and keep judo-ing

Eh..how must rest do you need from 1.5hr of bjj a day? Real Injuries that prevent you from training are the only thing that can slow down the process. Basic soreness or fatigue won't.

Not true if you're over 35. Decripitude is real.

The experience level was already covered in the OP. The guy was talking about going from white to blue to purple...a beginner to experienced

Ok I have trained bjj 5 days in a week before for periods of time...doesn't seem like you have. Soreness and fatigue are temporary granted less temporary when you're over 35. If you can still train you make progress. Don't really see how you don't get that. doesn't matter your age, you will be sore if your train 5 days a week. If you're under 35 two days are plenty to recover. Anyway good convo dude and keep judo-ing
Over 35 5 days a week is too much... Your body is going to break... Unless you don't roll every day...

Over 35 5 days a week is too much... Your body is going to break... Unless you don't roll every day...

Of course it can't be rough

But I don't remember in the OP where he said he was over 35. Did I miss that??

depends on your aptitude for learning. I got my purple in under 3 years because I trained a lot, was slightly obsessed, and picked it up fairly quickly.

I think more than anything though, it depends on your instructor and how they go about promoting their students. In the end, your jiu jitsu will speak louder than the color of your belt.

Lots of variables. In well established schools with lots of brown and black belts on the mat each training session, people get better faster. Total time means almost nothing, quality time with a good instructor and higher rank training partners matters more. Another thing I've noticed is that being athletic can get you a blue belt faster but being intelligent and coachable will get you to purple and brown belt faster.

But I don't remember in the OP where he said he was over 35. Did I miss that??
Link I posted above. 34 yo 7 months ago. However 4-5 hours a week is not a big deal. Should be ok.

It's Monday through Saturday. Daily class is about an hour:

15 minutes calthenics (sp?) - push-ups sit ups jumping Jack's and common bjj movies like hip escapes forward/back rolls etc.

30 minutes instructor showing 2 or 3 techniques, then you and partner doing it for 5 minutes each.

Finally, about 10 to 15 minutes live rolling, 5 minutes each. On average 2 rolls.

Im the most consistent student. Go on average 4 and mostly 5 classes a week (M-F) and take weekends off to rest.

Link I posted above. 34 yo 7 months ago. However 4-5 hours a week is not a big deal. Should be ok.

Actually I mentioned I was 35 in this thread too. Great detective work though :)

All in all, I'm at the gym/on the mats about 6-7 hours a week. I try to not roll TOO hard. Sometimes I go in and can roll 20 minutes. Sometimes I can roll only 5 and my body just shuts down.

Gettig old sucks. But happens to the best of us I guess.

I do very much regret not starting out 10 years ago. Better late than never I guess

U gotta take care of your body if you are going to train more than 2 hrs a day over 5 days a week.

Meaning, supplementary body conditioning and stretching above the warm ups at class.

A lot of U BJJ guys r into Yoga because Rickson did it...I think.

I supplemented Tai Chi when recouping from training related surgery and put it into my 5:30am training along with light weight training+cardio and Yoga type 30 minutes of stretching.

The plus side is I was able to train lengths of 14 days in a row, 4 hrs a day for 6 months before my Shodan test and make tournies and seminars.

Down side is somewhere along the way I didn't take the time to heal from a hip injury and now need all the cartilage scraped out and a ball and socket installed on one side.....

So somewhere between each extreme is what works for you, but our rule of thumb is 4 times a week just to absorb what you learn and develop your own implementation of that in Randori.

Back