if you take a modern MMA fighter and drop him into antiquity, Greek or Roman, what would happen?

lions, tigers and bears would kill all the fighters man.

Depends on the altitude. Just ask Werdum

the average mma fighter would lose to the average todays fencer. Cuz swords.

87LQd.gif

A lion would have eaten Mini Mouse alive.

In unarmed combat they would probably do well. A modern day MMA fighter would be physically inferior to someone that lived 2000 years ago due to genetic entropy but they would have superior training. I think it would be a Royce Gracie at UFC 1 type scenario. A 170lb pound guy choking out 220lb+ guys because no one knew anything about submission grappling.

If you mean in Pankration, the UFC fighters would fucking own everyone and it's not even close.

In unarmed combat they would probably do well. A modern day MMA fighter would be physically inferior to someone that lived 2000 years ago due to genetic entropy but they would have superior training. I think it would be a Royce Gracie at UFC 1 type scenario. A 170lb pound guy choking out 220lb+ guys because no one knew anything about submission grappling.

physically inferior? I think you mean average height of 4'5 with zero knowledge of nutrition. But what do I know.

If you're asking how today's hand to hand fighters would do against past hand to hand fighters, then I would say this is the most advanced martial arts have ever been, so Jon Jones would beat just about anyone in history.

If a top fighter in the big weights had time to train they'd probably do well. Bigger very athletic. But if you just dropped them in the fight they'd get killed; Wrestlers would probably have the best chance dive try to grab their weapon arm.

would his fighting prowess and technique be considered legednary like Achilles?

Take Demetrius Johnson for example, how would he have done in the Coliseums?

Right now, with no training, he'd get cut to pieces in anything involving weapons. In something like Pankration, he'd dominate. In weapons fights, he could train to become great and would have the substantial advantages of understanding modern physical training and nutrition. You should also take into account that he wouldn't be that small of a person in Ancient Greece as the average height was much lower back than.

Their people would kick MMA fighter's ass in armed combat with edged weapons but hand to hand, UFC fighter would beat most of them unless you got some pankration superstar and hes bigger than the MMA fighter. Pankration also allowed small joint manipulation and only groin attacks and eye gouges were illegal. There were no decisions. Fights went on until someone got knocked out or they submitted and sometimed theyd even kill. Remember there is no cut man, no doctor stoppage, no rounds. It was brutal stuff.

Arrichion, a pankration fighter died in a match but still got the win. His opponent had him in a choke hold. He used some type of technique to break his opponent's foot but the choke was still locked in. His opponent submitted but when he let go of the choke arrichion was dead.

Here is an interesting account of what happened:

Accordingly the antagonist of Arrichion, having already clinched him around the middle, thought to kill him; already he had wound his forearm about the other’s throat to shut off the breathing, while, pressing his legs on the groins and winding his feet one inside each knee of his adversary, he forestalled Arrichion’s resistance by choking him till the sleep of death thus induced began to creep over his senses. But in relaxing the tension of his legs he failed to forestall the scheme of Arrichion; for the latter kicked back with the sole of his right foot (as the result of which his right side was imperiled since now his knee was hanging unsupported), then with his groin he holds his adversary tight till he can no longer resist, and, throwing his weight down toward the left while he locks the latter’s foot tightly inside his own knee, by this violent outward thrust he wrenches the ankle from its socket.[6]

Would have head taken off by Broadaxe and be feed to lions.

Also there was a pankration guy in ancient greece named sostratus of Sicyon who was nick named fingertips because he would use small joint manipulation to break fingers lol

Isn't hendo old enough to have participated in one of those events?

Hand to hand I got UFC.

Not even close.

But it was like man vs. tiger for the fuck of it.

They had some serious luxuries though. Drainage systems, crazy fights and walk in orgys.
I almost bought a house with a walk in orgy, but it had septic issues

Back