If you support the Confederate flag.... | Page 3

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by TalkinNoise, Jul 19, 2015.

1. MarcoW Bojacked Horsehungman

MarcoW
    I find it the same as supporting the swastika.
    It shouldn't be erased from history, but why the hell would you want it anywhere in public view?

2. Thurisaz GARBAGE DAY

Thurisaz
    Sure. State sovereignty and opposition to an invading empire.

3. hydrobadazz Green Belt

hydrobadazz
    As an American I feel that the confederate flag is worse than displaying the ISIS flag.

The USA went to war with confederates. Displaying the flag is a threat to our nation.

4. Kowboy Karl Brown Belt

Kowboy Karl
    My friend supports people burning the American flag as an act of free speech

5. MarcoW Bojacked Horsehungman

MarcoW
    if you support burning the Quran, you should also support burning the stars and stripes.

Not one or the other. Tell him that.

6. thefirstemporer Overdone and dry!

thefirstemporer
    Nobody cared about it until Dylan Roof killed those people. This goes to show how much influence the media has.

Blood Python likes this.
  7. Mike Cecil Harvey Belt

Mike
    To the people saying nobody cared, that's untrue. There have been people in SC trying to get the flag taken down for decades. Most of the rest of the country had no idea there were still confederate flags flying on government property in 2015, and were rightfully pissed off to find out.

ehtheist likes this.
  8. CoffeeAndBeer OG from 1993

CoffeeAndBeer

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. ehtheist Black Belt

ehtheist
    Meh, it's a bit like saying "Do you support Planned Parenthood?" and in doing so insinuating that you support what the founder of Planned Parent stood for.

[​IMG]

Yep, that's her. She essentially wanted to start Planned Parenthood to help eliminate the "inferior" bloodlines she perceived - so, it was viewed as one of many tools to pursue a program of eugenics. Now, how silly would you feel insinuating that someone supporting Planned Parenthood was a racist supporting eugenics directed towards non-whites because of what Margaret Sanger said? I don't even care much for all of the rhetoric around the Confederate flag - you guys lost, get over it - but this type of line of reasoning is a clusterfuck if you don't apply is very specifically, and only to things you want to tear down. If it gets applied freely, many things you think are wonderful make you a racist by association with it.

10. Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt

Edison Carasio
    "But but but muh kkkulture" - some dumb hick

KONG-D'SNT-TAP likes this.
  11. IngaVovchanchyn Gold Belt

IngaVovchanchyn
    You are correct that most Northeners were racist. But it's bullshit to say the Emancipation Proclamation was unpopular. The Republican party, which had long stood for abolition, was pretty strong in the North.

1. One of the most popular soldier's songs of the war was about ending slavery, The Battle Hymn of the Republic.
    2. Union soldiers directly freed at least a million black slaves during the course of the war. They were really clear about what they were doing and why. It doesn't mean they liked blacks, but they sure as hell didn't like slavery.

The truth about the war is that it as complicated, with union, states' right, abolition all figuring prominently. But most soldiers and politicians were crystal clear on how those pieces fit together. The could be no Union if slavery lived. States' rights mainly meant the right of state's to declare slavery legal. And so on. And when the Emancipation Proclamation was issued, most people knew damn well it meant the end of slavery. And it damn well did, with Lincoln easily garnering the votes necessary to amend the Constitution to prohibit slavery just over a year later.

Madmick, Limbo Pete and klnOmega like this.
  12. IngaVovchanchyn Gold Belt

IngaVovchanchyn
    Sanger was a bigot. She didn't seem to like human beings very much, which sorta makes sense of her life's work. but I agree that this is irrelevant to current debates on abortion.

13. Mike Cecil Harvey Belt

Mike
  14. KONG-D'SNT-TAP Steel Belt

KONG-D'SNT-TAP
    This is like that bad Jeff Foxworthy bit he does, "you might be a redneck."

"If you support the confederate flag, you might be a redneck"

If you support the confederate flag you prob banged a family member.

If you support the confederate flag, you might be in a white trash biker club.

15. klnOmega Black Belt

klnOmega
    You're right. My statements were too strong for a naunced topic. I'm just trying to remind people that it isn't like every confederate hated blacks, and it isn't like every northerner wanted to end slavery. There were people on both sides all over. And that while we tend to view the North as basically modern day liberals who completely tolerant and believed in equal rights for blacks, that generally was not the case. You would have been seen as a batshit insane radical to propose the vote for blacks, for example.

16. fonzob1 Brown Belt

fonzob1
    I do not in any way utilize a confederate flag. However, I don't think that what the confederate flag represents can be summed up into being strictly a symbol of white supremacy. I think for some people it represents different things (e.g., state rights, southern history, etc.). People have a right to express themselves with it, although I wouldn't do it myself. To me personally, it represents a failed rebellion against the United States. The South lost. Why celebrate defeat?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  17. Rational Poster Elite Daemon Assassin

Rational Poster
    If by courage you mean incompetence. Sure, let's go with that.

18. Bloodworth Silver Belt

Bloodworth
    Haven't most flags from a lot of countries committed greater atrocities then what the Confederate flag looks like.
    Do you see jews asking to ban the German flag, because it reminds them of their possible extinction.
    Let me guess this is the same group that claims racism more then any other culure on the planet

gigantalor likes this.
  19. gigantalor Black Belt

gigantalor
    Great post.

20. oldshadow Gold Belt

oldshadow
    If you mean a poor decision on the part of the leaders then yeah but the men showed unbelievable courage.

Captain Davis likes this.