If you support the Confederate flag....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you should deface an 80 year old sculpture. But if the state wanted to put an Outcast sculpture somewhere else in the park, that would be fine. I used to like Outcast as a teenager.

I find it hilarious considering Outkast have also displayed the confederate flag citing southern heritage.

If you support the Confederate flag because of "Southern heritage", then you should have no qualms about getting behind this...

outkast.preview.png

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2015/0...join-the-confederate-faces-on-stone-mountain/

I mean, it's all about "Southern Heritage" right? :wink::icon_lol:

102213-music-confederate-flag-andre-3000-ms-jackson.jpg.custom1200x675x20.dimg

What's funny over the whole flag thing is everyone is so concerned about a flag flying in SC. Look at the Mississippi state flag.

lol, a quote from 1858 when Lincoln needed to defend himself because even before he was president, his detractors were clutching pearls and fanning themselves to a fury over him maybe not being an overwhelming racist (which meant he was obviously planning to destroy the south, turn it into new africa and enslave the white population).

And your quote was from 1853, so your point is what exactly? Also, nice necro-strawman, LOL indeed.

If anything the quote just proves that the only thing on the mind of southern politicians was continuing slavery.

That makes absolutely zero sense.

What's funny over the whole flag thing is everyone is so concerned about a flag flying in SC. Look at the Mississippi state flag.

Dan Snyder might have a refuge for his team when D.C. takes a stand against the nickname. The Tupelo Redskins has a ring to it. :cool:

Do you wear cotton? If there is anything that is a sign of southern slavery, it is cotton. I hope you are into 70s fashion.

Post of the year! Also, Egyptian cotton is off limits too. Cuz they had slaves too!

Liberia was a US colony designated for freed slaves.

In my US History class in college the professor said, that many freed slaves then went and enslaved the local Liberia population and forced them to plant cotton.

The Confederate flag was a flag that was flown in the name of rebellion against the U.S.(Killing American Soldiers) and Slavery. It has no place on State grounds. If you're ok with it being flown on State grounds, why not fly this one?

th

They stand for the same thing and Americans fight for them.

Dat heritage doe...

What about the war flag of the Imperial Japanese Army? Some people wear it because it stands for strength and courage or simply because they are Karate fans.

But some other Asian nationalities see it as a symbol of arrogance. Most Katate kids who use this flag don't think that massmurder or massrape are cool concepts.

Had that idiot Dylan Roof not killed 9 people, it wouldn't have been an issue.

I'm disappointed SC decided to take the flag down. Obviously it never meant slavery to them otherwise it wouldn't have been up in the first place. Hope the other Southern States won't toe this stupid line to appear PC

If you support the Confederate flag because of "Southern heritage", then you should have no qualms about getting behind this...

outkast.preview.png

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2015/0...join-the-confederate-faces-on-stone-mountain/

I mean, it's all about "Southern Heritage" right? :wink::icon_lol:

I don't think you should deface an 80 year old sculpture. But if the state wanted to put an Outcast sculpture somewhere else in the park, that would be fine. I used to like Outcast as a teenager.
Stone Mountain Park is privately operated.

In my US History class in college the professor said, that many freed slaves then went and enslaved the local Liberia population and forced them to plant cotton.

Yep. The freed slaves moved there and adopted the plantation model themselves.

Stone Mountain Park is privately operated.

Stone Mountain Park is owned by the state of GA.

The private company that operates the theme park has a contract with the state. They don't own the mountain.

This is false, while some native tribes had practices that could be considered slavery Liberia's constitution outlawed it at the inception of the colony. They even helped to prevent enslavement in west Africa.

Also, a quick google proves your picture is bullshit. William T Thompson designed the the Second National Battle flag. That is not the "Confederate flag" the southerns are known for flying, and not the one in the background of that image.

1024px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281863-1865%29.svg.png

" A white rectangle two times as wide as it is tall, a red quadrilateral in the canton, inside the canton is a blue saltire with white outlining, with thirteen white five-pointed stars of equal size inside the saltire." The white in this picture is just for scale

Designed by William T Thompson, the second national flag... I don't see where it's bullshit. It's nearly identical to the one flown today.

And the one flown today (once again, nearly identical) was designed by William Porcher Miles, a staunch fire eater, racist, and supporter of slavery, so either way you put it....

1024px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281863-1865%29.svg.png

" A white rectangle two times as wide as it is tall, a red quadrilateral in the canton, inside the canton is a blue saltire with white outlining, with thirteen white five-pointed stars of equal size inside the saltire." The white in this picture is just for scale

Designed by William T Thompson, the second national flag... I don't see where it's bullshit. It's nearly identical to the one flown today.

And the one flown today (once again, nearly identical) was designed by William Porcher Miles, a staunch fire eater, racist, and supporter of slavery, so either way you put it....

It doesn't matter if it is "nearly identical". The stars and bars existed before that flag. He created a new flag for his white supramicist view points, and that isn't the flag that is flown today.

Basically what you are arguing is that the Hindu swastika is a racist symbol because later, the Nazis used a variation of it as such.

Everyone on both sides of the war were white supremacists. The Emancipation Proclamation was extremely unpopular in the North, and most at the time accepted it as only a temperary war measure. No one other than the most extreme outliars saw as whites and blacks as true "equals".

Saying that one side was "racist" and ignoring that the other side was as well, is just dishonest. If could poll Union soldiers and ask them why they are fighting, they would say "to preserve the Union". None of them gave a fuck about freeing slaves.

And if you poll Southern soldiers, you'd get things like "Lincoln is a tyrant/States rights". Slavery was already becoming unpopular in South, not as a "blacks and whites are equals" thing, but as a "they took our jobs" thing. Only a small percentage of people could afford slaves, and that meant wealthy plantation owners could outcompete independent farmers, and it meant that field working jobs were lost to slaves.

To most in the South, the flag stands for a resistance against the federal government overstepping its bounds. I've never met a single person in my life who believed we should re-institute slavery.

Secondly, I think it is cowardly for states to take it off memorials. These states were part of the Confederacy, and they asked their sons to die in the name of the state. Now, when it is in vogue, they disgrace the people who died serving the state. I don't agree with the Iraq war, but I would find it utterly detestable for the government in the future to alter Iraq memorials because they are considered unfashionable.

Do you really enjoy being on the losing side of an argument? Almost every declaration of secession mentioned slavery in the first or second sentence. So while the crowd that loves to spout "The civil war was about states rights" are in part correct, they were ultimately defending their right to enslave another race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back