If you strongly disagree with the idea of the UFC adding more weight classes...

FlyThaiMMA

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Then don't bitch and complain about weight cutting and have fake outrage on how it's unhealthy for the fighters.

If you have the option to fight at a suitable weight and you kill your self cutting weight than that's your problem.

Uriah Hall has no suitable weight class. 205 isn't a feasible option for him, 20 lbs is a HUGE jump. He would get ragdolled at 205. So of course he's going to try to kill himself making 185. There really needs to be a weight class every 10 lbs. After 205 add a 225 Cruiser and unlimited HW. Any other solution until we can read hydration levels instantly, is just fluff talk

Except there's not enough depth for all the existing divisions. Some there are, and it would make sense to split them, but there's barely even 5 legit hws out there right now, if you turned half into cruiserweights, there would be no one to fight each other

I really don't know where to be at. On the one hand, I do get that for health reasons it's for the best. On the other, I feel like I wouldn't like so many new champions, such a different landscape.

But I do realise that's pretty fucking selfish of me.

Then don't bitch and complain about weight cutting and have fake outrage on how it's unhealthy for the fighters.

If you have the option to fight at a suitable weight and you kill your self cutting weight than that's your problem.

Uriah Hall has no suitable weight class. 205 isn't a feasible option for him, 20 lbs is a HUGE jump. He would get ragdolled at 205. So of course he's going to try to kill himself making 185. There really needs to be a weight class every 10 lbs. After 205 add a 225 Cruiser and unlimited HW. Any other solution until we can read hydration levels instantly, is just fluff talk

lol, why does there need to be a 195 lb division? There's like 10 solid fighter between 185-205, and most of them are 40 or older.

485123.jpg

I see where this thread is headed so let me say this, If you don't think the UFC should add more weight classes because it might affect your entertainment value then STFU about your concern about weight cutting. Obviously what entertains you personally is most important

Uriah has made 185 in the past no problem multiple times in the past. Must be an injury or something that prevented the weight cut.

Based on what?
Look at the hw top 10... 5 of them are in their late 30s and/or ridiculously injury prone. Most have already fought each other at least once. Pretty similar situation at 205, lots of old and/or injury prone guys, most have already fought each other.

Some divisions would be ok to split up, but the amount of talent in a lot of divisions is pretty thin

I don't agree with you.
How more weight classes resolve the problem?
Let's say there was a class between MW and LHW, named SMW.
Maybe Hall would still have tried to gain the maximum advantage and compete at MW and not at SMW.
Fighters have this mentality of going to the extreme.

Also, it amuses me how people don't seem to understand that if you add several other classes you hurt the existent classes.

There are not so many good fighters out there. Watch the UFC rankings, especially HW, it is a mess.
If you add more classes, you hurt the existing classes.

Look at the hw top 10... 5 of them are in their late 30s and/or ridiculously injury prone. Most have already fought each other at least once.

Some divisions would be ok to split up, but the amount of talent in a lot of divisions is pretty thin

Indeed

Top 15 HW
Browne is still there
Albini has a decent records against cans, but come on
Arlo, and I like the fighter, was there after 5 losses
They keep Cain there in the top 5, although he is injured and fought 2 times in 4 years

Same for LHW

Not to mention the female FW has no rankings because there are no opponents for Cyborg, she has to fight women from lower classes

I am against more weight classes. I'm also against massive weight cutting. I'd rather fighters stop being afraid of fighting someone who weighs a few pounds more than them.

Considering the current competition at 205, Uriah hall would probably be top 5 in the UFC. The competition at 185 is way tougher

tenor.gif

More weight classes will not fix the problem, idiot fighters not cutting unhealthy amounts of weight for an advantage will.

I don't see what the big deal would be to just have weight classes every 10lbs. You close 170, you add 165 and 175.

On top of that, you do a hydration test weigh-ins. If you are not hydrated, you are recommended to move up to the next weight class. If aren't hydrated the 2nd time you fight, you are forced to the next weight class.

If you don't want more weight classes, which means more fights, then maybe you don't like MMA as much as you claim. You just like the idea of two fat guys locked in a cage, to club each other into bloody pulps (sadly, that is how most hardcore MMA fans want the sport to be).

Every sport expands as it gets more popular and lucrative. More competition. Fuck your UFC 1 nostalgia. LOL

Weigh-in 10 minutes before entering the cage
If you fail the weight-in, you are obliged to fight a HW (there should be a list of HW as back-ups)
It should make things more interesting

Such a daft argument. Fighters will cut as much as they can, you'd probably end up with more 205 fighters cutting extra weight to make 195 than you would fighters moving up from 185.

It's not like weight cutting isn't a problem in the divisions that are staggered at 10lbs from 125,135.145.155 is it? fml.

Back