If you hate Danaher for his teaching style.. you have to Hate Hall

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by jack36767, Jun 9, 2018.

1. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

You literally didn’t read what I wrote

2. Judoka1532

Judoka1532 Judoka1532

I was just putting my thoughts out there man. That wasn't criticism. I read what you said, I'm a little confused on the purpose of this post...and the randomness in general. But again, not really attacking you here.

3. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

I’ve seen criticism of Danaher on multiple fronts, that goes beyond normal critiques of teaching style. Saw very strong similarities in what many criticized in one with another, thought it’d be interesting to point out

4. vcmmafan

vcmmafan Dark Knight Returns

I would agree

5. kenetics

kenetics Red Belt

Hall gets a pass because he actually competed and rolls with others. Danaher never competed and hardly rolls. He says he has all these injuries but people who have known him for years say he's a better teacher than a actually Jiu jitsu competitor lol.

vcmmafan likes this.
  6. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

Some of those people like GSP speak about him with nothing but respect and about how much they help them.. without prompting. GSPs podcast with Rogan was particularly striking because without being prompted or acting like he was promoting anyone.. When talking about training, camps, technique, game planning, the science of fighting, and his coaches.. Danaher and Zahabi are who he talked about, the way Werdum would talk about Cordero in the same context or Dillishaw about Ludwig. I find that more revealing than anything

HunterAcosta likes this.
  7. DatCutman

DatCutman Yellow Belt

Nothing wrong with not liking a dude's personality. Info is legit though.

FatherSauce likes this.
  8. kenetics

kenetics Red Belt

Cordero and Ludwig actually competed. Like is said, danaher is a good coach, teacher, but competitor no.

9. berimBOWLoh

berimBOWLoh Silver Belt

im glad TS cleared this up for me. here i was foolishly enjoying Halls teaching style and persona but now i know better

vcmmafan and PointyShinyBurn like this.
  10. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

Please no straw man arguments... I didn’t say that. If you are annoyed with my point I understand. But creating a straw man like that is beneath you

11. berimBOWLoh

berimBOWLoh Silver Belt

No straw man my friend. You are basically saying two different people are the same and should rub me the same but that is never ever the case in reality. People are much more than bulletin points like your original post comparison.

Danaher to me comes off arrogant and condescending. Hall doesn't. It is what it is.

vcmmafan and listrahtes like this.
  12. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

I don’t get why people are obsessing over the having competed part.

Danaher isn’t a self defense instructor.. who doesn’t compete barely and his students don’t..

he has successful students in actual competition who attribute success to him. I understand not liking him personally, but people are using their opinions of him as a person to make non objective judgements about him from a technical or coaching perspective..

And quite honestly, I’m sorry some people can’t handle big words. Because my observation is that people react to his vocab like he makes them feel dumb and are angry about that as much as anything. Shrug.

13. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

I pointed out nearly all the criticisms can be easily applied to both.. I’m sorry the word “have” in the title rubbed you the wrong way because you saw it as an absolute.

So yeah, little bit of a straw man

14. berimBOWLoh

berimBOWLoh Silver Belt

Yes but it's the vibe each man gives off. I just feel the pretentious elitist attitude every time Danaher makes one of his long winded whirlwind social media posts claiming to have invented whatever but some body else actually proved it works.

Hall can be long winded too but the energy is different and I don't feel like he is non stop humble or outright bragging and viewing others beneath him.

Now all this might not even be true. I have never met Danaher and only met hall briefly. It's just a vibe and energy thing for me.

BJJ_Rage, vcmmafan and kenetics like this.
  15. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

Fair, but I don’t think Hall is as humble as some think but that’s my opinion

Ice 9 Cobra likes this.
  16. kenetics

kenetics Red Belt

I find him funny and weird. I mean he wears his rash guard while walking around NY.

That like a former solider wearing his uniform out in public just to get noticed lol. SMH

Watch his video with Matt Serra. Serra clowns him alot lol.

17. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

Jiu jitsu kills the ego brah.........when you're a white belt.

kenetics likes this.
  18. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

You’ve never had odd obsessive friends?

kenetics likes this.
  19. Ice 9 Cobra

Ice 9 Cobra Black Belt

For all the people commenting, how many have met either in person? Because I dont know how you can walk away from meeting Hall and think he is a humble individual.

cjd likes this.
  20. kenetics

kenetics Red Belt

Ya. My former friend who was in the military who served a few years used to wear his uniform to odd places after he returned.

He loved the attention lol. I remember him wearing his uniform to buy a car at the dealership and other places.

The funny thing is he joined the military because he couldn't cut it in the civilian world. (He could never keep a job longer than a few months.)

I stopped talking to him because he became annoying and acted like civilians owed him something lol.

vcmmafan and dmwalking like this.