If you hate Danaher for his teaching style.. you have to Hate Hall

Danaher is a legend. His style of teaching is what separates him from other trainers. It's important to be in depth and over-explain things. Because most people learn not just by knowing what to do, they need to know what to do, how to do it, and why to do it.
You literally didn’t read what I wrote

You literally didn’t read what I wrote
I was just putting my thoughts out there man. That wasn't criticism. I read what you said, I'm a little confused on the purpose of this post...and the randomness in general. But again, not really attacking you here.

I was just putting my thoughts out there man. That wasn't criticism. I read what you said, I'm a little confused on the purpose of this post...and the randomness in general. But again, not really attacking you here.
I’ve seen criticism of Danaher on multiple fronts, that goes beyond normal critiques of teaching style. Saw very strong similarities in what many criticized in one with another, thought it’d be interesting to point out

I think the difference is that Ryan doesn't take himself / subject to seriously. Would Danaher ever use the term "squeezing your balls off" or any of the fun tangents Ryan sprinkles in?

I get the general similarities (both speak a lot, focus on concepts, etc) but I don't equate them as equals. I enjoy both, for different reasons.

I enjoy Hall's DVD's more, because of the time in my life I studied them the most, I feel he is more approachable, funnier, less condescending and I get a perverse enjoyment out of him asking Seph to do stuff that he knows he obviously can't, and Seph playing along every time.

I would agree

So I had had a chance to actually watch more of the Danaher instructional in depth. Whereas before it was just a few times watching different sections..

And you know what.. people are whiny ass blankety blank blank hypocrites.

I said this before but I know for super duper sure now. Every criticism of Danahers style applies to Ryan Hall. Yet you don’t see the same level of hate. In fact people gush over Hall. Hmmm let’s go through some of the criticisms that apply to both.

1. Overly verbose - check
  2. Wastes a obnoxious amount of time explaining engineering shit instead of teaching - check
  3. Overly philosophical and using fancy terms - check
  4. Could cut out at LEAST a third of the time - check
  5. Could effectively explain all the concepts way quicker and actually show the techniques in a much more effective Way- check
  6. Treats basic positioning stuff as amazing examples of the proof bin is soooo like omg technical - check
  7. Weird ass idiosyncrasies the instructor has - check
  8. Monotone voice that drones on - check
  9. I could go on
So while I do not have a problem with the criticisms in general if they are rational. And I think some of the criticisms of his teaching style are valid. The amount of vitriol and hate and saying he’s “despicable” from some here and on reddit.. I really don’t get.

I like Ryan Hall btw, I’m talking about instructionals. Not him

And you know what, Danaher doesn’t blink constantly

*yes I know Hall can’t control it. Still distracting

And will someone please tell EvenFlow to actually go to a real gym to train, and not just a Gracie Barra McChain gym before suddenly being braggadocio

Hall gets a pass because he actually competed and rolls with others. Danaher never competed and hardly rolls. He says he has all these injuries but people who have known him for years say he's a better teacher than a actually Jiu jitsu competitor lol.

Hall gets a pass because he actually competed and rolls with others. Danaher never competed and hardly rolls. He says he has all these injuries but people who have known him for years say he's a better teacher than a actually Jiu jitsu competitor lol.
Some of those people like GSP speak about him with nothing but respect and about how much they help them.. without prompting. GSPs podcast with Rogan was particularly striking because without being prompted or acting like he was promoting anyone.. When talking about training, camps, technique, game planning, the science of fighting, and his coaches.. Danaher and Zahabi are who he talked about, the way Werdum would talk about Cordero in the same context or Dillishaw about Ludwig. I find that more revealing than anything

Nothing wrong with not liking a dude's personality. Info is legit though.

Some of those people like GSP speak about him with nothing but respect and about how much they help them.. without prompting. GSPs podcast with Rogan was particularly striking because without being prompted or acting like he was promoting anyone.. When talking about training, camps, technique, game planning, the science of fighting, and his coaches.. Danaher and Zahabi are who he talked about, the way Werdum would talk about Cordero in the same context or Dillishaw about Ludwig. I find that more revealing than anything

Cordero and Ludwig actually competed. Like is said, danaher is a good coach, teacher, but competitor no.

im glad TS cleared this up for me. here i was foolishly enjoying Halls teaching style and persona but now i know better

im glad TS cleared this up for me. here i was foolishly enjoying Halls teaching style and persona but now i know better
Please no straw man arguments... I didn’t say that. If you are annoyed with my point I understand. But creating a straw man like that is beneath you

Please no straw man arguments... I didn’t say that. If you are annoyed with my point I understand. But creating a straw man like that is beneath you

No straw man my friend. You are basically saying two different people are the same and should rub me the same but that is never ever the case in reality. People are much more than bulletin points like your original post comparison.

Danaher to me comes off arrogant and condescending. Hall doesn't. It is what it is.

Cordero and Ludwig actually competed. Like is said, danaher is a good coach, teacher, but competitor no.
I don’t get why people are obsessing over the having competed part.

Danaher isn’t a self defense instructor.. who doesn’t compete barely and his students don’t..

he has successful students in actual competition who attribute success to him. I understand not liking him personally, but people are using their opinions of him as a person to make non objective judgements about him from a technical or coaching perspective..

And quite honestly, I’m sorry some people can’t handle big words. Because my observation is that people react to his vocab like he makes them feel dumb and are angry about that as much as anything. Shrug.

No straw man my friend. You are basically saying two different people are the same and should rub me the same but that is never ever the case in reality. People are much more than bulletin points like your original post comparison.
I pointed out nearly all the criticisms can be easily applied to both.. I’m sorry the word “have” in the title rubbed you the wrong way because you saw it as an absolute.

So yeah, little bit of a straw man

I pointed out nearly all the criticisms can be easily applied to both.. I’m sorry the word “have” in the title rubbed you the wrong way because you saw it as an absolute.

So yeah, little bit of a straw man

Yes but it's the vibe each man gives off. I just feel the pretentious elitist attitude every time Danaher makes one of his long winded whirlwind social media posts claiming to have invented whatever but some body else actually proved it works.

Hall can be long winded too but the energy is different and I don't feel like he is non stop humble or outright bragging and viewing others beneath him.

Now all this might not even be true. I have never met Danaher and only met hall briefly. It's just a vibe and energy thing for me.

Yes but it's the vibe each man gives off. I just feel the pretentious elitist attitude every time Danaher makes one of his long winded whirlwind social media posts claiming to have invented whatever but some body else actually proved it works.

Hall can be long winded too but the energy is different and I don't feel like he is non stop humble or outright bragging and viewing others beneath him.

Now all this might not even be true. I have never met Danaher and only met hall briefly. It's just a vibe and energy thing for me.
Fair, but I don’t think Hall is as humble as some think but that’s my opinion

I don’t get why people are obsessing over the having competed part.

Danaher isn’t a self defense instructor.. who doesn’t compete barely and his students don’t..

he has successful students in actual competition who attribute success to him. I understand not liking him personally, but people are using their opinions of him as a person to make non objective judgements about him from a technical or coaching perspective..

And quite honestly, I’m sorry some people can’t handle big words. Because my observation is that people react to his vocab like he makes them feel dumb and are angry about that as much as anything. Shrug.

I find him funny and weird. I mean he wears his rash guard while walking around NY.

That like a former solider wearing his uniform out in public just to get noticed lol. SMH

Watch his video with Matt Serra. Serra clowns him alot lol.

Jiu jitsu kills the ego brah.........when you're a white belt.

I find him funny and weird. I mean he wears his rash guard while walking around NY.

That like a former solider wearing his uniform out in public just to get noticed lol. SMH

Watch his video with Matt Serra. Serra clowns him alot lol.
You’ve never had odd obsessive friends?

For all the people commenting, how many have met either in person? Because I dont know how you can walk away from meeting Hall and think he is a humble individual.

You’ve never had odd obsessive friends?

Ya. My former friend who was in the military who served a few years used to wear his uniform to odd places after he returned.

He loved the attention lol. I remember him wearing his uniform to buy a car at the dealership and other places.

The funny thing is he joined the military because he couldn't cut it in the civilian world. (He could never keep a job longer than a few months.)

I stopped talking to him because he became annoying and acted like civilians owed him something lol.

Back