If you had to rank from 1 - 5, which one of your 5 senses would you least want to lose?

DLX

thpinal
@Silver
Reaction score
5. Smell - I don't think I'd lose much sleep if I lost my sense of smell.

4. Taste - I'd miss enjoying food I like, but on the plus side I'd probably be a lot more enticed to eat more healthy foods, since the negatives of eating them are now gone. So in a way, it could actually be a blessing.

3. Hearing - Being deaf is major, but I could adjust to life without hearing. And aside from having a weird lisp, you could essentially accomplish most if not anything a normal person with all 5 senses could accomplish. Plus depending on the type of deafness I have, I could just get a hearing aid and eliminate the disability all together.

2. Feeling - I'd imagine it'd be difficult adjusting to life being completely numb. It'd be tough to develop your motor skills, and you're sense of caution is hampered.

1. Sight - Sight would be a demonstrably major thing for me, and there would be an unquantifiable amount of things you lose out on. Tbh, I'd rather lose the rest of my other 4 senses, then be blind.

What would be your ranks?

Sight is at the top of the list. Taste is at the bottom. I would be healthy as fuck without a sense of taste.

Inb4 “but without smell you can’t taste”

Probably smell. The worst would be losing your sight, I can't even imagine it.

Loss of senses all have a suicide rate attached.

The sense that people lose who are most likely to kill themselves is smell.

Science says almost revereverse your order:

5 hearing
4 sight
3 feeling
2 taste
1 smell

Taste and smell are partly the same sense. What people don't realise is the importance that smell and touch are to our experience. They're processed at a deeper level of consciousness and their loss is profoundly depressing. Ear plugs or lights off at night can simulate sight and hearing loss and whilst they are inconvenient, they don't effect your feeling of being in the world much.

Last edited:
I feel like hearing would be most devastating to lose. It's close with sight, and I'm not sure what I would do ,if anything for employment being blind? Take the job out of the equation and I can still hear music,sports and have conversations? Adjusting now to sign language and a silent world? I could do it, but it would be extremely difficult.

I'm torn between sight and touch.

Sight is obviously important, but without touch, you couldn't have sex, and even if you could, what would be the point?

Also, you probably couldn't walk right because you can't feel the pressure of your feet against the ground enough to make those tiny adjustments that keep you up right.

Small things would become insanely difficult. You couldn't feel the gas or brake pedal so driving would be out of the question.

Typing, or pushing any buttons, or other menial tasks couldn't be done well if at all.

5. Smell - I don't think I'd lose much sleep if I lost my sense of smell.

4. Taste - I'd miss enjoying food I like, but on the plus side I'd probably be a lot more enticed to eat more healthy foods, since the negatives of eating them are now gone. So in a way, it could actually be a blessing.

3. Hearing - Being deaf is major, but I could adjust to life without hearing. And aside from having a weird lisp, you could essentially accomplish most if not anything a normal person with all 5 senses could accomplish. Plus depending on the type of deafness I have, I could just get a hearing aid and eliminate the disability all together.

2. Feeling - I'd imagine it'd be difficult adjusting to life being completely numb. It'd be tough to develop your motor skills, and you're sense of caution is hampered.

1. Sight - Sight would be a demonstrably major thing for me, and there would be an unquantifiable amount of things you lose out on. Tbh, I'd rather lose the rest of my other 4 senses, then be blind.

What would be your ranks?

Same order. Without sight, I couldn't see these.
200w.gif

I've only ever lost taste for a week or so at a time after each chemo treatment and it sucked royally. I was always looking forward to getting it back so I can get some dopamine rushes after a week of just feeling shitty.

That said, I think being blind would be the worst. I think being born blind isn't as bad as having to adjust after being able to see. The most difficult part of adjusting after going blind for me would be to not be able to see my wife and kids' faces.

I feel like hearing would be most devastating to lose. It's close with sight, and I'm not sure what I would do ,if anything for employment being blind? Take the job out of the equation and I can still hear music,sports and have conversations? Adjusting now to sign language and a silent world? I could do it, but it would be extremely difficult.

You know you could also just learn to lip read, since most people don't know sign language.

Back