If You Caught Your Coach Talking Trash About You...

Are you talking about Vut Kamnark? Or Toddy?

No, I have never met either of them. I dont know much about either of there history however I was always under the impression vut was a exfighter, just googled it now and learned different. He still seems like a great coach.

The relationship between a coach and his team is supposed to be one of mutual benefit, and trust.

However, if you walked in on or overheard your coach talking down on you to another member of the gym what would you do?

Would you try to approach him on the situation, and move forward together?

Or

Would you feel that the trust has been broken, and find another place to train?

Thoughts?
id change gyms if it was bad trash, for sure

Man we could probably stay up all night with these damn stories. lol I think one of the most visceral experiences for my fighters in realizing my clout was when we went to Mayweather's to spar a couple British guys. I hadn't been there in years, and what I didn't know going in was that Mayweather's right this second is full of everyone who was at Top Rank when I was there. A little older and a little fatter, myself included, but pretty much most of the gang. So I walk in and instant celebrity status, I got hugged by about 20 people. Chris Eubank Jr. was there, I told them how I knew him when he was 17 and I used to give him rides home. We were both training with McCallum. Sharif Bogere, we both trained with McCallum, he beat my ass in sparring. But gave me props because in his words: "you MADE me come after you." When guys like that stop what they're doing to hug you, eyebrows raise. Even Daijon experienced it because some kid trained by Kofi Jantuah came up and went: "Are you Daijon Carter? Man you're good as f*ck, I've seen videos of you on youtube!"

Your Uncle is a G. See a lot of people don't know HOW to look at boxrec. Your uncle reminds me of my opponent's Coach, who is this dude:

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/46465

One glance and people think "bum." But I asked him what was up with his record. He was a Cuban National Champion. Moved to Vegas to turn Pro. For his debut he got offered Graylin Curry. That last name should sound familiar. He's the Brother of Donald and Bruce Curry. Garcia used to spar all 3 Brothers, so he told the promoter: "Oh Graylin? I'd knock him out." Bada bing, that's exactly what happened. He said after that they felt like they could match him with ANYONE, because when he took the fight Graylin was 2-0, and he was 390-15 as an Amateur, I think. Graylin was a lot like Pepper Roach, when the Roach Brothers were Amateurs, everyone thought Pepper would be a World Champ. Graylin was supposed to be the best Curry Brother, Garcia essentially ruined that entire plan. His next opponent had two losses, but he was a MASSIVE puncher and Garcia didn't take the fight seriously. He said from there he went into a downward spiral, ended up doing time in prison...twice.

Ironic part is that's almost EXACTLY what happened to his student who beat me. After beating me he agreed to fight a guy 6-0 with 5KO's, because he thought he was invincible. I'm kind of flattered by that, even if it turned out false.

The last guy your Uncle fought retired undefeated and won most of his bouts by knockout. Your Uncle had the stones to get in the ring with him. That's respect.

thanks for your compliments man.

it is crazy because you see so many guys come and go, some that could have done xyz and if they stuck with it or what not. seems alot of people get mixed up in drugs.

Here is a phony I will expose, but before I expose him, I would say that, this guy used to train at the same location as me, we didnt train together, but his boxing skill level was high and I wanted to learn some boxing from him. The guy talked about fighting all the time and wanting to get a fight, but it never happened, I was willing to help him with the mental part but it didnt play out. I attempted to be his friend as well but he was not at the gym for very long. Anyways again going back to the community being so small, anyone who knows him, knows he has never fought, but he can get away with lying to clients in LA, not in the IE where he grew up and everyone knows him despite having LA tatted across his neck.

Anyways I stumbled across the guys instagram the other day and found out a bunch of nonsnese.

he runs the IG fightingskills

https://www.instagram.com/fightingskills/

the closes thing he ever had to a fight was this sparring match between a friend of mine a very long time ago, they didnt like eachother for whatever reason so we let them settle it at the gym

seems hes a coach at mayweather boxing fit in LA

apparently hes been "fighting" for 10 years as well

shincheckin I had no idea you went through such tough journey and story but I'm amazed and commend you for overcoming all that. What you did was your best, sounds like your coach at some point was a great person but maybe he got caught up with his own issues and he started taking those issues out on good people like you that he was close to at the time, and burned bridges.

thanks dude, the guy is a all around fake and phony and natural dick head shit talker. Everyone that knows him for long enough realizes this and leaves such as his other assistant coach.

it is crazy because you see so many guys come and go, some that could have done xyz and if they stuck with it or what not. seems alot of people get mixed up in drugs.

Here is a phony I will expose, but before I expose him, I would say that, this guy used to train at the same location as me, we didnt train together, but his boxing skill level was high and I wanted to learn some boxing from him. The guy talked about fighting all the time and wanting to get a fight, but it never happened, I was willing to help him with the mental part but it didnt play out. I attempted to be his friend as well but he was not at the gym for very long. Anyways again going back to the community being so small, anyone who knows him, knows he has never fought, but he can get away with lying to clients in LA, not in the IE where he grew up and everyone knows him despite having LA tatted across his neck.

Anyways I stumbled across the guys instagram the other day and found out a bunch of nonsnese.

the closes thing he ever had to a fight was this sparring match between a friend of mine a very long time ago, they didnt like eachother for whatever reason so we let them settle it at the gym

Yeah that's a pretender if I've ever seen one. I've never met many who actually fought with gauged ears like that. Seems stupid to criticize, but it just suggests something. Like that he had talent but never believed in it, so now he tries to teach people what he failed at. Which is fine, to a degree. I could be classed as that, but the difference is I fought. So I have no delusions about the game. This kind of guy is subject o passing on his delusions while steering someone into dangerous ground he's never stood on. Then if they fail, he will blame them and not his own ignorance.

Yeah that's a pretender if I've ever seen one. I've never met many who actually fought with gauged ears like that. Seems stupid to criticize, but it just suggests something. Like that he had talent but never believed in it, so now he tries to teach people what he failed at. Which is fine, to a degree. I could be classed as that, but the difference is I fought. So I have no delusions about the game. This kind of guy is subject o passing on his delusions while steering someone into dangerous ground he's never stood on. Then if they fail, he will blame them and not his own ignorance.

exactly right. right down to his superman punch videos. Gauged ears = clinch handle bars lol. His boxing technique was quite good, and he looked very clean crisp and sharp on the mitts. He was taught at warzone boxing which is a good boxing gym from my understanding, either way as we have already discussed before. Knowing how to do it, being able to use it, teaching someone how to do it, teaching someone how to use it, are all different things.

Wow, what a fake. Hahaha. Seriously though, if people hasn't fought before, then don't say they have. Eventually they're going to get outed. LOL!! It's okay to just say they never fought before. It's not a big deal. But LYING about fought before and then get caught, that fool will lose all his credibility. Sucks for him! Haha!

This kind of guy is subject o passing on his delusions while steering someone into dangerous ground he's never stood on. Then if they fail, he will blame them and not his own ignorance.
Not only that, leads a loyal fighter on, and essentially screws up his or her career, then takes the exp and moves on to a newer younger fighter, leaving those he failed with nothing but lost time

Not only that, leads a loyal fighter on, and essentially screws up his or her career, then takes the exp and moves on to a newer younger fighter, leaving those he failed with nothing but lost time

Indeed, and fuck do I hate that.

Edit: another red flag about that guy is the old "I've been fighting for over 10 years." No one says that shit who actually did it unless they're selling you a counter-top grill. In other words, you don't advertise it or lead with it. It just is. When people ask me if I fought I just say I did, I don't boast. The more you get to know me, I'll tell my War stories.

I was texting with Fernando Vargas a few weeks back and he couldn't keep track of when the time we had already arranged sparring was. His reply after being corrected twice was:

"....."

"Luis, you know I fought for 20 years of my life? :("

Seriously, sad emoji. The old War horses don't brag much unless they're still vain, in which case it's not a good idea to be led by them. Their vanity costs YOU blood.

Last edited:
you're paying this coach i'd assume. speak with your money and go elsewhere, if that's not an option... if not... gracie challenge...

Indeed, and fuck do I hate that.

Edit: another red flag about that guy is the old "I've been fighting for over 10 years." No one says that shit who actually did it unless they're selling you a counter-top grill. In other words, you don't advertise it or lead with it. It just is. When people ask me if I fought I just say I did, I don't boast. The more you get to know me, I'll tell my War stories.

I was texting with Fernando Vargas a few weeks back and he couldn't keep track of when the time we had already arranged sparring was. His reply after being corrected twice was:

"....."

"Luis, you know I fought for 20 years of my life? :("

Seriously, sad emoji. The old War horses don't brag much unless they're still vain, in which case it's not a good idea to be led by them. Their vanity costs YOU blood.

i dont know what it is about myself, maybe many factors outside of just training/fighting, but my memory is very bad for the most part. I have a hard time remember what I did yesterday.

i dont know what it is about myself, maybe many factors outside of just training/fighting, but my memory is very bad for the most part. I have a hard time remember what I did yesterday.

The trainer I'm closest to here, Rodrigo, he's like that. He's not punchy, his memory just generally sucks. I attribute it to that he always has a ton of junk he's thinking about that only matters to him. Lol

But he's another G with a shitty record. Fucker fought Gary Russell Jr. on like 4 days notice.

you're paying this coach i'd assume. speak with your money and go elsewhere, if that's not an option... if not... gracie challenge...

My coach is a volunteer. He makes no money off the gym. Fighters, and coaches typically work construction around here until they make it. The gym has coaches, a gym manager, and the owner. The owner of the gym owns a landscaping company. The gym is largely opened to the public for free as long as you're putting in work. He is not hurting for money. He grew up boxing, and just wanted a gym for the locals, because he loved the sport.

The coach who got into it with my friend had already been challenged. He apparently didn't show up to spar the guy, our regional champ. I don't know what his reasoning might have been for not showing up, maybe work?

In any case, yeah it would make sense to leave. However, a lot of people have loyalty to that gym not because of the coach but because of the gym manager. Old guy who is almost 80. He is like a father figure to many, MANY disenfranchised and troubled youth. People have been at that gym since they were kids. I would argue he saved some of their lives. He kept them out of trouble. We've even gone to bail people out as a gym.

I think for my gym, it is hard for guys to leave. However, yes, leaving makes sense.

My coach is a volunteer. He makes no money off the gym. Fighters, and coaches typically work construction around here until they make it. The gym has coaches, a gym manager, and the owner. The owner of the gym owns a landscaping company. The gym is largely opened to the public for free as long as you're putting in work. He is not hurting for money. He grew up boxing, and just wanted a gym for the locals, because he loved the sport.

The coach who got into it with my friend had already been challenged. He apparently didn't show up to spar the guy, our regional champ. I don't know what his reasoning might have been for not showing up, maybe work?

In any case, yeah it would make sense to leave. However, a lot of people have loyalty to that gym not because of the coach but because of the gym manager. Old guy who is almost 80. He is like a father figure to many, MANY disenfranchised and troubled youth. People have been at that gym since they were kids. I would argue he saved some of their lives. He kept them out of trouble. We've even gone to bail people out as a gym.

I think for my gym, it is hard for guys to leave. However, yes, leaving makes sense.
I truly believe any relationship must have communication, honest open communication. A situation like this can be heated and emotional but if you feel slighted by his insults or opinions then speak to him about how it affects you. Stay calm and in the moment, think and speak carefully to avoid incendiary comments. He may get defensive and emotional but that is just his insecurities coming out for what he did/said. It wouldn't behoove you to challenge him by reacting to his insecurities and, in a sense piling on by drawing attention to his emotion. Just let him know what you heard and how you feel, then go from there... or leave.

I would think staying in an environment where you feel animosity and or anger will not end well... just my armchair psychologist's two cents...

I truly believe any relationship must have communication, honest open communication. A situation like this can be heated and emotional but if you feel slighted by his insults or opinions then speak to him about how it affects you. Stay calm and in the moment, think and speak carefully to avoid incendiary comments. He may get defensive and emotional but that is just his insecurities coming out for what he did/said. It wouldn't behoove you to challenge him by reacting to his insecurities and, in a sense piling on by drawing attention to his emotion. Just let him know what you heard and how you feel, then go from there... or leave.

I would think staying in an environment where you feel animosity and or anger will not end well... just my armchair psychologist's two cents...

Appreciate that. Yeah, I don't have deep rooted issues with the guy. If they want to go back and forth that's on them. Being specific to the situation that I've seen, I think he may get a little testy with the guys because he used to be a fighter.

He was actually ranked top 10 in the country according to a newspaper article I read on him. He also fought Mayweather as an amateur (he lost, but still impressive I think). He also showed a cute girl preferential treatment. Guys weren't too much feeling that.

Again, I don't have a problem with the guy, and don't want to get too specific about my gym situation (I'm not trying to bash) nor do I want to name drop. He is a cool guy overall. He may just be young, and forgets he's not a fighter anymore, and you have to act a certain way as a coach.

In general, yes I agree with your points. You made some good ones. In most cases I think to leave would be the best option. Thank you for your input.

The trainer I'm closest to here, Rodrigo, he's like that. He's not punchy, his memory just generally sucks. I attribute it to that he always has a ton of junk he's thinking about that only matters to him. Lol

But he's another G with a shitty record. Fucker fought Gary Russell Jr. on like 4 days notice.
Well damn that’s where I recognized him from it’s just that he had a shaved head in the bout. ..
He is a really good guy and a very talented boxer, fuck the records. When I was out there I was hurting financially, spiritually, physically and he went out of his way to help me when I got the feeling that he wasn’t really well off himself. Plus he. I was th re was when he got that nasty uppercut on that Asian guy and the whole gym was going nuts over it. After that I asked him about it and he just said listen to Lu he will teach you everything you need to know. I wasn’t tying to jump ship or nothing but I understand gym culture can be very shark like.

@ts unfortunately I know what you are talking about very well I got fed to an up and coming amateur who never ended up going anywhere at my first boxing gym and honestly my confidence took about a decade to recover. The hardest hit for me was my coach at the time I had paid him lots of money for privates and I went to the gym everyday. I paid about 200$ a month and I didn’t have that money to play around with. I thought I was hotshit and then his amateur guy just beat me up for a couple rounds and later when I asked my coach for help he ridiculed me for being weak and talked about how he had be forged by fire type of shit. I wa a pretty fed up and I started only going to the gym when I wanted and then less and less. Shit was hard for a 14 year old trying to create his own identity.
The fucked up part was I heard my coach Laughing about how my opponent caught me clean and I got all rubber legged. When I talked to him about it he just said that he thought I had no talent and that was after I paid him well over 2000$ dollars and wanted more...

Well damn that’s where I recognized him from it’s just that he had a shaved head in the bout. ..
He is a really good guy and a very talented boxer, fuck the records. When I was out there I was hurting financially, spiritually, physically and he went out of his way to help me when I got the feeling that he wasn’t really well off himself. Plus he. I was th re was when he got that nasty uppercut on that Asian guy and the whole gym was going nuts over it. After that I asked him about it and he just said listen to Lu he will teach you everything you need to know. I wasn’t tying to jump ship or nothing but I understand gym culture can be very shark like.

@ts unfortunately I know what you are talking about very well I got fed to an up and coming amateur who never ended up going anywhere at my first boxing gym and honestly my confidence took about a decade to recover. The hardest hit for me was my coach at the time I had paid him lots of money for privates and I went to the gym everyday. I paid about 200$ a month and I didn’t have that money to play around with. I thought I was hotshit and then his amateur guy just beat me up for a couple rounds and later when I asked my coach for help he ridiculed me for being weak and talked about how he had be forged by fire type of shit. I wa a pretty fed up and I started only going to the gym when I wanted and then less and less. Shit was hard for a 14 year old trying to create his own identity.
The fucked up part was I heard my coach Laughing about how my opponent caught me clean and I got all rubber legged. When I talked to him about it he just said that he thought I had no talent and that was after I paid him well over 2000$ dollars and wanted more...
Damn thats fucked. Especially if you're 14, sheit, the old gym tried to feed me to the semi-pro prospect who walked in 4 months earlier, I saw the direction it was heading and clocked out. At 14, its not easy to see that kind of stuff unless you've been through it already.

I'm not a coach, but I do know for sure, I definitely won't be doing the crap the old coach used to do. Not throwing anyone under the bus with favoritism, and definitely not going to do that to the members who would have been supporting me for 5+ years because some hotshot walked in the door.

Damn thats fucked. Especially if you're 14, sheit, the old gym tried to feed me to the semi-pro prospect who walked in 4 months earlier, I saw the direction it was heading and clocked out. At 14, its not easy to see that kind of stuff unless you've been through it already.

I'm not a coach, but I do know for sure, I definitely won't be doing the crap the old coach used to do. Not throwing anyone under the bus with favoritism, and definitely not going to do that to the members who would have been supporting me for 5+ years because some hotshot walked in the door.
That happened when I was 14, I am 28 now.
Those experiences are why I have so much respect for sins posts here and what he does. There’s a lot of duds like me who love the sport but never had a chance to really get their feet wet.
That coach I mentioned did pretty much all the things we have discussed about poor coaches on this forum but I did not see it and instantly gave him credit because of his lineage and his former ring experience.

If you overhear your coach "talking shit" about you, the first thing you need to do is step back and analyze what they said.

Were they in fact talking shit about you, or just telling someone the truth about you? Were they taking personal jabs at you, or talking to a colleague about your skill set?

Back