If USADA can show up at all hours of day to drug test, they could also weight test fighters!

Seaside

Caudillo
Banned
Reaction score
In addition to this guys proposal about weight cutting. They could easily start weighing fighters say 1 month out, then 3 weeks, then 2 weeks etc. If a fighter is say over 20lbs or 25lbs above their weight class max limit then they should be fined.

There is no reason WW as big as WW Johnny hendricks should be allowed to fight at WW when 2 months away from the fight he is weight 215lbs or 220lbs then he needs to lose 20lbs of fat and then cut 30lbs of water weight.

If you like to eat a lot and are going to be so big you are freaking 25lbs heavier then you go up

I think it's ridiculous how much weight MMA fighters cut. This has been discussed to death, but eventually someone is going to outright die from weight cuts in the UFC. And weight cutting makes the brain more vulnerable to TBI's, which is detrimental to a fighters long term health.

Why don't they just implement hard 7.5% rehydration caps? For example, if you fight at 170, 7.5% of 170 is 12.75 pounds. Thus, welterweight fighters shouldn't under any circumstance be allowed to walk into the cage heavier than 182.75 pounds. Obviously this is just an example -- you could up that number to 10% rehydration (187 pound hard limit for walk-in to cage at welterweight), at least to start.

Also, regardless of whether this is implemented -- every fighter should be weighed walking into the cage, and their weight published. We should know exactly how much each fighter weighs in the cage. This public information would at least help start a dialogue on extreme weight cutting.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-ufc-should-put-hard-7-5-rehydration-limits-on-weight.3675001/

Below is Hendricks saying 10 seconds into the video that he walks around NORMALLY at 215lbs, at 30 to 34 seconds he says or 220lbs!!

You'd have to create a rule specifically for that. Being however much above weight, outside the actual weighing day is not against the rules. So, fining for that would be....novel.

70% guy is hopeless.

weigh in 3 hours before fight.

Result: everyone fights at their natural weight class.

Problem solved.

Bye

Nope nope nope. The scales need to be tested and certified by local commissions or jurisdictions otherwise fighters cry foul.

Easiet solution is dehydration tests dur By fight week (weight cut time) and/or weigh in before walk out. Massive fines for being over weight.

Problem solved.

Bye

This does not even slightly solve the problem it would only make it worse. Unless them impose hydration testing, or lead up weigh in's people will just be cutting weight the day of the fight and end up dieing in the cage. Its one of the reasons they have weigh in's the day before so they don't fight in that condition.

Problem solved.

Bye
Fighters try to cut weight anyways, fight dehydrated and/or exhausted and end up getting seriously hurt or even killed in the cage.

Not that this wouldn't be negligent and stupid of the fighters, but it's reality and it will look very bad for everyone involved.

People will still try to cut weight.

This does not even slightly solve the problem it would only make it worse. Unless them impose hydration testing, or lead up weigh in's people will just be cutting weight the day of the fight and end up dieing in the cage. Its one of the reasons they have weigh in's the day before so they don't fight in that condition.

Fighters try to cut weight anyways, fight dehydrated and/or exhausted and end up getting seriously hurt or even killed in the cage.

Not that this wouldn't be negligent and stupid of the fighters, but it's reality and it will look very bad for everyone involved.

There have been numerous examples of fight day weigh ins in boxing. Noone ever died. Some fought dehydrated, felt consequences. Most people fought at their natural weight class.

You weigh in week before a fight, a day before a fight for official press conference weigh in, and day of the fight for final weigh in. Works like a charm.

There have been numerous examples of fight day weigh ins in boxing. Noone ever died. Some fought dehydrated, felt consequences. Most people fought at their natural weight class.

You weigh in week before a fight, a day before a fight for official press conference weigh in, and day of the fight for final weigh in. Works like a charm.

For starters there you just changed your premise, you made no mention of multiple weigh in's which was what every one of us who commented implied would be required, you simply said weigh in day of fight problem solved.

Second there is tons of evidence that fighting dehydrated increases your risk of serious injury and death.

Third people die in boxing all the time who is to say that is not one of the causes it was not exactly looked at super close until recent years, we also have tons of boxers with brain damage.

Edit - Adding examples

1983: Kiko Bejines died of brain injuries after a defeat by Albert Davila for the WBC bantamweight title.

1985: Shawn Thomas died of head injuries suffered in a lightweight fight against Chris Calvin.

1985: Gerardo Derbez died of brain damage after being in a coma since being knocked out by Jorge Vaca.

1985: Jacob Morake died from head injuries received when he was knocked out by Brian Mitchell.

1986: The Scottish-born Steve Watt died of brain injuries after a defeat by Rocky Kelly in Fulham.

1987: Jean-Claude Vinci died half-an-hour after he was beaten on points by Lionel Jean.

1988: Daniel Thetele collapsed and died after losing to Aaron Williams.

Now I am not saying this had anything to do with weight cutting per say but why increase the risk when people are already dieing and it could be related to it but no one cared at the time to look that closely

Last edited:
For starters there you just changed your premise, you made no mention of multiple weigh in's which was what every one of us who commented implied would be required, you simply said weigh in day of fight problem solved.

Second there is tons of evidence that fighting dehydrated increases your risk of serious injury and death.

Third people die in boxing all the time who is to say that is not one of the causes it was not exactly looked at super close until recent years, we also have tons of boxers with brain damage.

Yeah i wanted to say is we should ADD the weigh ins couple of hours before the fight, my bad.

That way fighters would be forced to fight at their training camp weight, their best fighting shape weight.

To me, adding a simple step on a scale couple of hours before the fight is much better solution than blood sugar testing, hydratation precentage ratings tests, and other stuff people propose.

It would surely shift alot of weight classes, but it would force fighters to fight at the weight class they belong in when theyre in fighting shape, wich is 3 hours before the fight.

If someone is stupid enough to cut weight 3 hours before a fight and believes that will give him some advantage, i say go for it.

Yeah i wanted to say is we should ADD the weigh ins couple of hours before the fight, my bad.

That way fighters would be forced to fight at their training camp weight, their best fighting shape weight.

To me, adding a simple step on a scale couple of hours before the fight is much better solution than blood sugar testing, hydratation precentage ratings tests, and other stuff people propose.

It would surely shift alot of weight classes, but it would force fighters to fight at the weight class they belong in when theyre in fighting shape, wich is 3 hours before the fight.

If someone is stupid enough to cut weight 3 hours before a fight and believes that will give him some advantage, i say go for it.

I agree with you that adding that weigh in would be a step in the right direction because it would mean if a fighter wanted to attempt cutting weight they would have to do it at least twice in a short window of time the day before and the day of which would result in them almost certainly not even making it to the fight. The confusion was it seemed like you were saying make that the only weigh in which would only make the problem worse.

The only draw back to not doing the hydration testing is you would still have some crazy person try to cut the weight and increase their risk of injury or death and if it happened put a huge black eye on the sport if something like that happened in a premier organization.

The only draw back to not doing the hydration testing is you would still have some crazy person try to cut the weight and increase their risk of injury or death and if it happened put a huge black eye on the sport if something like that happened in a premier organization.

Yeah you will always have nutjobs that would do anything for any sort of advantage... I dont think we can totally rule them out... Were talking about a bunch of cage fighters here :D

Even swimmers completely shave off their entire body before a competition so hairs wouldnt slow them down, and they dont really have any consequences if they lose a race, so, guys will always look for that edge no matter what the rules are...

What about a monitoring bracelet that fighters have to wear from signing to walkout. Would something like that prevent ped usage?

Back