If Tony Ferguson becomes champion will he ever clean up his style ?

His defense is a lot better then people think. He rolls with almost everything. And hes fighting top guys.... he's obviously going to get hit.

No, it doesn´t. Like Silva playing with his hands down. He got caught eventually.
giphy.gif
The point is it not gonna work out for long and i dont see Tony having a long title reign the way he fights. He needs some more clean performance and to focus on defense. Noone have ever had more than 3 title defense in the LW division. Its a tough division to be champion in. Will see maybe he will prove me wrong.

That's a different argument though. It's not "it doesn't work" (clearly for Tony, it does), but "It won't work forever"

Nothing works forever. Anderson attained GOAT status before his reflexes and chin started to fail him. Pretty fair deal, I'd say.

His defense is a lot better then people think. He rolls with almost everything. And hes fighting top guys.... he's obviously going to get hit.
Yes, but he lifts his head back with hi chin up to roll with punches. Never really seen a fighter roll with a punches like that with success against and accurate power puncher

No, he just needs to pull a Conor and run from bad matchups. Conor's wrestling is mediocre so he doesn't fight Edgar or Khabib.

Nah, it got him to the big dance. Plus, it's entertaining...like, one of the most interesting styles in UFC.

I just worry for him against a precision striker - like Conor.

But, if he can zombie his way through 2 round of getting brutalised by Conor, then you'd have to favour his gritty style to take the win.

Probably what makes McGregor vs Ferguson one of the best fights UFC could make.

The point is it not gonna work out for long and i dont see Tony having a long title reign the way he fights. He needs some more clean performance and to focus on defense. Noone have ever had more than 3 title defense in the LW division. Its a tough division to be champion in. Will see maybe he will prove me wrong.

But it HAS worked out for a long time. And he's already had a long win streak. In a tough division.

Why are there a bunch of random Internet people in this thread trying to say what the most successful fighter at lightweight should do to be more successful?

Tony_Ferguson.0.jpg
I was just thinking how Tony is always getting hit alot before his wins. When he beats Conor is he ever gonna clean up his style ? Like will we ever see Tony have good defense ? How long can he be champion when hes taking shots ? Should he shore up his defense ? When you look at champions like Joanna and Holloway they have very good foot work and defense they dont take to much shots. Will Tony ever become like this ? PS Tony is a badass im just wondering will he clean up his fight style when he becomes champion.

Tony's style has gotten pretty far.

Maybe you ought to clean up your shit posting :cool:

In my eyes tony is already the champ, lil nugget is afraid to lose his belt in a fight, this is why he has NEVER defended any belt....he will vacate that way he can always claim he never "lost" a championship fight

Last edited:
In my eyes tony is already the champ, lil nugget is afraid to lose his belt in a fight, this is why he has NEVER defended any belt....he will cate that way he can always claim he never "lost" a championship fight

Yep.

Combat sports has a long standing unwritten rule that any title winner who never defends is no champ at all.

Yep.

Combat sports has a long standing unwritten rule that any title winner who never defends is no champ at all.
nugget really has no excuse, has earned over 100 million so not fighting tony can't be about money, only logical conclusion is that he doesn't want to lose the belt fighting

Dude he's already won the Ultimate Fighter and now on a 10 fight win streak. It already has been working for ages. I don't get why armchair critics are constantly trying to change Tony. Clearly he knows what he's doing and clearly it's VERY effective.

But it HAS worked out for a long time. And he's already had a long win streak. In a tough division.

Why are there a bunch of random Internet people in this thread trying to say what the most successful fighter at lightweight should do to be more successful?

This x 1000. I should have read through before I replied.

He needs to work on blocking to some degree. He's not the fastest, he can't rely on head and body movement alone.

I think he'll fight Conor a little differently and that's what'll cost him - he needs to go balls to the wall like always

Back