If there was no trash talk or drama.

Nurse Joy

Lover, fighter, cut man,nurse, aspiring chef.
@Green
Reaction score
If Mma was a just a pure fighting. No shit talk, no drama. Would you still watch? Would you watch less? Would you watch more?

Sure, why not?

Look at the recent Stipe vs DC fight.

BOTH nice guys. Neither guy needed to bad mouth the other.

Just two super high level mixed martial artists testing their skills out to see who is the best.

Yes.

I personally try NOT to watch the shit talking and drama. I dont care about that shit. I wanna see fights.

If Mma was a just a pure fighting. No shit talk, no drama. Would you still watch? Would you watch less? Would you watch more?

I would definitely watch.

However, if your point is to have some sort of statistics , you're in the wrong place- it's not like sherdog forum is a random example of MMA watching population, let alone PPV payers or network subscirbers...

Shit talking and drama is mainly for the casuals.

Genuine bad blood is fine.. and adds excitement.. but fabricated drama has no place in MMA.

The trash talking is a double edged sword can be very entertaining but it can also be pure cringe.
Probably would watch less fighters overall, because you get to know some lesser known fighters due to their trash talking or social media "game" (Platinum)
But my fav fighters (besides bisping) are the ones that usually dont trash talk and let their fighting speak for themselves (Whittaker, GSP etc.)

Yes, I would still watch.

But the sport is 100x more exciting when there's trash talk involved (at least with the guys who can make it feel authentic... Those that can't just leave us cringing at their failed attempts to create drama.) To me it's a matter of variety. Not everyone should try to stir the pot by trash talking their opponents, but not everyone needs to be this super respectful, old school traditional martial artist either. I prefer a balance of the two.

Nope, I don´t care about fighting, to much blood.

Since my introduction to mma(pre-UFC), I try not to miss fights. Drama/no drama, idc. Match-ups is what makes me interested.

I actually prefer it that way.
WWE sucks, Chael sucks.

Of course. I think fighters like Lawler would be the fan favourites. Do enjoy a proper rivalry though(not scripted)

Trashtalk has been a part of the fight game since forever, stop acting like it's some type of new WWE-phenomenom ffs.
Even Jack Johnson talked trash over 110 years ago u bums.

Trashtalk has been a part of the fight game since forever, stop acting like it's some type of new WWE-phenomenom ffs.
Even Jack Johnson talked trash over 110 years ago u bums.
I never said it was new I said it was stupid . Soap opera for men.

I would still watch but love a good feud tho. You know feuds like chute boxe vs Brazilian top team, Wandy vs Rampage or Tito vs chuck back in the day.

the current shittalk and feuds feel fake, are boring and are being force fed to us fans.

Of course not. Imagine skipping all fight promo and just watch fights on mute and nothing else, how fucking boring that would be?

I never said it was new I said it was stupid . Soap opera for men.

So you only watch fights on mute and skip all promo content? Yeah RIGHT.

Soap opera aka drama isn't any more stupid than men in shorts fighting in a chain-linked cage. Drama is as much a part of our DNA as fighting is. People fight IRL for drama. How do you think WW1 got started? That's right, DRAMA. Serbian hippy Gavrilo blamed some Austro-Hungarian gaylord for taking everything he's worked for and decided to kill his stupid ass. Austria-Hungary got triggered and lashed out with its homies, Serbia says fuck u I ain't no punk, BOOM, WW1. Years later drama queen Adolf Hitler who got SHOOK in WW1 blamed the Jews for taking everything he's worked for motherfucker and decided to beat them into the living death and BOOM, we got WW2. Soap opera is the lifeblood the powers that progress of human history. Only an uneducated fool would call that stupid.

If I have to be 100% honest I must admit I would probably watch it less.

I like the entertainment element of MMA (and combat sports generally), too much is not good but to some degree it is essential.

Trash talking is a fast track to make money.

It's all about caring about who you are watching. Sure some people will still watch 2 guys fighting regardless, but if you can make people care if you win or lose, then you can get a following and get paid/move up.

You could do that by winning fights in style much like GSP in his early days, but it takes a while, or you can trash talk and get people invested much sooner like Colby has tried to do. In the modern world it's much easier with social media to trash talk etc.

Yes. Maybe even more.

I watch nothing as far as podcasts, interviews, press conferences etc. Only the Countdown shows, for the training and sparring footage mostly. I often watch smaller orgs like ACB that don't have any kind of drama behind them and still enjoy the fights, if they are good enough. If there is good commentary, highlighting both the strengths and weaknesses of the fighters and describing what is happening in a simple and informative manner, it is welcome but seeing that's not the way in the UFC events, i treat it as background noise and ignore it as well.

I would watch....ive been avid fan since 99'.The problem would be , may be, average fan likes or even needs that build up.Being brutally honest, the sport still needs it's fair share of shit- sharp talkers.

Back