If the UFC had a combine, what exercises would be used to gauge athleticism?

It should be how much you can run. I believe that is the most important aspect of fighting. Throughout my years, I met guys that weren't particularly talented but they could just go forever.

Just as the title reads, if the UFC had to pick exercises to gauge the athleticism of a MMA fighter, which metrics would they choose?

The NFL Combine uses
40 yard dash
225 Bench AMRAP
Vertical Jump
Broad Jump
20 Yard Shuffle
3 cone drill
and bunch more, but these seem to be the highlighted ones.

For MMA
40 Yard dash might be a good metric of explosive power. Fighters that run a 4.5-5 probably get more knockouts then someone running a 6+

1 Mile run. Once again, I bet most fighters that can run a 5-6 minute mile rarely gas compared to fighters who do 8+ minutes.

Burpees AMRAP. The ability to constantly sprawl on continuous attempts. Scramble ability

Sled pull: Takedown drive

Agility cones: Footwork and movement

1 minute heavybag round as many strikes as possible

Vertical Jump: Self explanatory

What else do you think would be a good metric?

Add pull ups (no kipping) to the list. Obviously lighter guys benefit more, but it's a good test of strength and endurance.

Weighted chin max, deadlift max, bench press max, 225 bench for reps, overhead press for strength. For cardio beep test scores would be fine.

Weight cutting
Excuse making
Boner maintenance without chemical assistance

I always liked the UBE for athletes and it got me thinking that Iso-kinetic training might be ideal for fighters, especially grapplers. Basically, the machine accommodates you and responds to the amount of force you exert upon it. Push harder and it pushes back harder. This is what occurs in grappling exchanges.

Back