If the U.S. Marine Corps is a separate service so should other subdivisions be

I was a peace time/cold war Marine also. I was a POG for 3/2. We always address by rank. But then again it was a grunt unit.

WTF does POG mean? I don’t recall hearing that, even though I spent a year with grunts and was temp deployed with them for 3 months in 29 stumps....it was there that I foound out that our unit earned an MUC...

WTF does POG mean? I don’t recall hearing that, even though I spent a year with grunts and was temp deployed with them for 3 months in 29 stumps....it was there that I foound out that our unit earned an MUC...

Person Other than Grunt. I was a personal Clerk.

*you're !

Did you skip the M.C.I. ?! Turd

Yes. We stood at parade rest for superiors. Its why infantrymen are more legit yo'

It’s.........

M.C.I ?
And yes, I was an improper cover wearing, hands in pockets, diddy bopping walking shit bird, swinging with the wing lance coolie...I was fucking good at it too....:)

It’s.........

M.C.I ?
And yes, I was an improper cover wearing, hands in pockets, diddy bopping walking shit bird, swinging with the wing lance coolie...I was fucking good at it too....:)

Haha. Ello you.... Knife hand

no way Jose......are you saying that while you were diddy bopping your badass grunt self to the chow hall and some NCO decided to ask you for directions to the PX, you’d stand at a lax parade rest and answe him....gtfo of here...serious?

Some MOS’s in the wing didn’t require much to get promoted in...Like air traffic controllers...they got promo’d quickly and many saw Cpl in 2 years....do they still base promotions on need? I recall that it was difficult and/or just plain lengthy for the 03’s tomget promoted because the pool was much larger.

What does POG stand for? I don’t recall hearing that...also was it your generation that changed BAM to Wookee?

Yes pretty much. Although as a grunt, we really were only surrounded by other grunts not Persons other than Grunts.

If someone was asking you a favor then the formality could be relaxed a little, but generally you respect the rank not the man.

Yes pretty much. Although as a grunt, we really were only surrounded by other grunts not Persons other than Grunts.

If someone was asking you a favor then the formality could be relaxed a little, but generally you respect the rank not the man.

Thanks for clarifying.

no way Jose......are you saying that while you were diddy bopping your badass grunt self to the chow hall and some NCO decided to ask you for directions to the PX, you’d stand at a lax parade rest and answe him....gtfo of here...serious?

Some MOS’s in the wing didn’t require much to get promoted in...Like air traffic controllers...they got promo’d quickly and many saw Cpl in 2 years....do they still base promotions on need? I recall that it was difficult and/or just plain lengthy for the 03’s tomget promoted because the pool was much larger.

What does POG stand for? I don’t recall hearing that...also was it your generation that changed BAM to Wookee?

He must be referencing these POGs.

Image-Pog_Collection.jpg

They're not split for efficiency.

They're split to separate powers.

The Marines obviously are supposed to be part of the navy but they have weirdly morphed into a separate service in the U.S.A. which duplicates elements of the Army and Air Force.

The U.S.M.C. has drifted so far from its original mission that the Navy now has made effectively a new marines group under its command, under the N.E.C.C. Navy Expeditionary Combat Command, to do the jobs the marines were supposed to do.

If the Marines are a separate service then the Naval Air Force, Army Fleet and U.S.A.F. Ground Forces should also be separate services.
Stick to your day job. These things aren't organized based on your whiny sense of fairness.

The Royal Air Force has it's own Infantry, the RAF Regiment or, "Rock Apes". Even with the retards we have in government slashing our Defence spending not to the bone but through it, that won't change any time soon.

Air Force ground troops don't seem to get much love but they have a difficult job, guarding very high value targets on big open areas with just their light equipment and not much backup to call on. They go out and patrol around the area looking for enemies as well and some of them do parachute missions. They are like the Air Force's marines.

The Marines did an absolute ton of amphibious work in the Pacific. All the island hopping in the Pacific had Marine elements, particularly Iwo Jima. WWII was just so big that we needed the Army to do both Army and Marine jobs in Europe, and they were needed to assist in the Pacific as well because we are easily the largest of the services. Marines have always been small, and they just weren't big enough to do all the Marine missions themselves. We actually still have this problem today, manifest in other ways. We have lots of jobs that should be done by Green Berets, such as the training of the Afghan Army and other forces around the world. We end up using Marines Special Ops and Navy SEALs to help out with these missions, even though that's not what they do because we simply don't have enough Green Berets for all the work that needs to be done. Everyone likes to poke at the bloated defense budget, but we still don't have enough people to do all the stuff that's asked of us. Look beyond the really big number, and you'll see how thin it all gets spread.

The Army outnumbered the Marines 5:1 in the Pacific and as far as I recall the only land mission which did not involve the Army was Iwo Jima, which was a very costly victory. The U.S. Pacific Campaign was marred by competition between the Marines and Army and poor ground attack tactics by the Navy and Marines.

The Army outnumbered the Marines 5:1 in the Pacific and as far as I recall the only land mission which did not involve the Army was Iwo Jima, which was a very costly victory. The U.S. Pacific Campaign was marred by competition between the Marines and Army and poor ground attack tactics by the Navy and Marines.
The whole USMC at the end of WWII was 6 divisions. They are just a small, small force. They honestly ought to be much bigger so that we don't have to keep using the square peg in the round hole, applying Army forces to do Marine missions. Capturing beachheads is their primary purpose, and they ought to be able to do that at the scale required for real combat operations. I say this as an Army guy.

Back