If the U.S. Marine Corps is a separate service so should other subdivisions be

glasses? What did he look like?

Tall... like 6'8" or close. He was enlisted back in the 90's then went to OCS and was a tank officer out there (I think at Pendleton) for a long time. He came to us in OIF I after our company commander got shot in the throat (survived).

Wow, some familiar faces in that video. haha I graduated tank school in March '01 so I was a couple cycles ahead of you.

Did y’all really have to respond “yes, SSgt/Sgt” when you were in school? LMAO. :-o

I was 3051 and went to MOJT for warehouseman/supply in Barstow....first time I said yes Sgt, he laughed and reminded I wasn’t in boot camp anymore....funny enough I almost got into a fight with my platoon leader (Sgt) while on barracks duty in Iceland...all because he wanted me to “lock my body when I spoke to him....effin grunts lol

Last edited:
Did y’all really have to respond “yes, SSgt/Sgt” when you were in school? LMAO. :-o

I was 3051 and went to MOJT for warehouseman/supply in Barstow....first time I said yes Sgt, he laughed and reminded I wasn’t in boot camp anymore....funny enough I almost got into a fight with my platoon leader (Sgt) while on barracks duty in Iceland...all because he wanted me to “lock my body when I spoke to him....effin grunts lol

You are always supposed to address your superiors with proper respect and courtesy. As a grunt, you're always supposed to use rank when saying yes/no. They earned that rank so show respect. Sometimes you can get away with being less formal depending on the situation and relationship, but they are serious as fuck about properly addressing your chain of command.

Jesus Christ no. USAF ground forces still operate with, within, and amongst, an almost entirely USAF based community. Half the problem i had during my service as Army detached was that Army by and large, dont speak Air Force Lingo. At the end of the day, i communicate with pilots, aircrew, and support personnel and removing me from that culture would not have served any purpose except to force army guys to go through years of air force training to fill the deficit. hell, in the USMC, i think they had to have actually been pilots at one point to be FAC's. every other service either sends them Air Force way for training or like the navy has its own aerial warfare schools to do it.

When I was in the Marine Corps, 1996-2001. The Battalion S-3(operations) had 2 air Officers to help the BN coordinate with the Marine wing unites. One is usually a fix wing pilot and the other a helicopter pilot. I believe the pilots do a 2 year rotation with ground units.

I seen a LCpl make another LCpl lock his body just because he was his fire team leader. Got to love the Grunts.

You are always supposed to address your superiors with proper respect and courtesy. As a grunt, you're always supposed to use rank when saying yes/no. They earned that rank so show respect. Sometimes you can get away with being less formal depending on the situation and relationship, but they are serious as fuck about properly addressing your chain of command.

When you say always, do you mean even after ADvanced Infantry Training (forgot the actual term]? Are you suggesting that in the field/combat zone you addres them as such? I was a peace time/Cold War Marine, so I don’t know.

I seen a LCpl make another LCpl lock his body just because he was his fire team leader. Got to love the Grunts.

I do recall a few retread grunt NCO’s that went into an air wing MOS acting “all fleet like” for a few weeks before they realized their “gruntish behavior” wouldn’t fly in the wing.

I do recall a few retread grunt NCO’s that went into an air wing MOS acting “all fleet like” for a few weeks before they realized their “gruntish behavior” wouldn’t fly in the wing.

Yeah, the Wing is very different than Division. I was a tanker and even after 9 years I still addressed people by their rank and name.

Yeah, the Wing is very different than Division. I was a tanker and even after 9 years I still addressed people by their rank and name.

That’s not what I’m talking about....even in the wing you addressed people by name and rank....mostley officers and staff NCO’s....junior NCO’s that you knew, could be called by their last name...I’m talking about using terms like “yes, Sgt” said in the same tone that you addressed your drill instructors....my question is....did that behavior continue past school and into the field on a regular basis?

Only time you’re addressed by rank in the Air Force is when you fucked up. Everyone is sir. The shiny new LT? Sir. The e2 who just made the coffee run? Thank you sir. Chief master sergeant asking a staff if something was completed? Yes sir it was. Guy in trouble? Senior airman snuffy, want to explain this situation?

That’s not what I’m talking about....even in the wing you addressed people by name and rank....mostley officers and staff NCO’s....junior NCO’s that you knew, could be called by their last name...I’m talking about using terms like “yes, Sgt” said in the same tone that you addressed your drill instructors....my question is....did that behavior continue past school and into the field on a regular basis?

Ok, I see. No, not really. We still addressed them in the proper manner but it wasn't as disciplined as like it was in boot camp.

I was a Cpl in the infantry. Stand by if you didn't address me as such. Hehe

....still pop up from time to time to bail the family out.

Someone had to drop the Jarheads off on an island to kill folks, and the Navy gets nervous driving in less than 10 fathoms

When I was in Haiti we actually had the Coast Guard come in. We provide security for them so they could do some humanitarian work in a small village outside Port Au Prince. I never realized they patrol the Caribbean sea pretty heavily.

After the Marines the Coast Guard was my second option.

14431695.P3161797a.jpg

Mad respect for what they do.

When I was in Haiti we actually had the Coast Guard come in. We provide security for them so they could do some humanitarian work in a small village outside Port Au Prince. I never realized they patrol the Caribbean sea pretty heavily.

After the Marines the Coast Guard was my second option.

14431695.P3161797a.jpg

Mad respect for what they do.

I talked to a C.G. recruiter after I left the Corps. He said I'd have to do their boot camp. Ended conversation there.

When you say always, do you mean even after ADvanced Infantry Training (forgot the actual term]? Are you suggesting that in the field/combat zone you addres them as such? I was a peace time/Cold War Marine, so I don’t know.

AIT wasn't like boot camp, but you still have to address your superiors with respect. Once in AIT and the fleet, you don't have to yell or get yelled at but you have to use proper respect. When talking to a superior you go to a casual parade rest and address them by rank.

I was in from 79
AIT wasn't like boot camp, but you still have to address your superiors with respect. Once in AIT and the fleet, you don't have to yell or get yelled at but you have to use proper respect. When talking to a superior you go to a casual parade rest and address them by rank.

Parade rest to talk to a superior both officer and NCO? Hahahahahahahaha.....you must be kidding...right? Tell me your just busting my chops

I was a peace time/cold war Marine also. I was a POG for 3/2. We always address by rank. But then again it was a grunt unit.

I was in from 79

Parade rest to talk to a superior both officer and NCO? Hahahahahahahaha.....you must be kidding...right? Tell me your just busting my chops

*you're !

Did you skip the M.C.I. ?! Turd

Yes. We stood at parade rest for superiors. Its why infantrymen are more legit yo'

It's not like a formation parade rest, you just put your hands behind your back and address them with the rank they've earned. If you are in the field, you'll skip anything that puts them at risk of being identified as leadership. Maybe they give rank away when you're a POG, but when I was in if you were a Sgt or had rank that meant you earned that shit.

It's not like a formation parade rest, you just put your hands behind your back and address them with the rank they've earned. If you are in the field, you'll skip anything that puts them at risk of being identified as leadership. Maybe they give rank away when you're a POG, but when I was in if you were a Sgt or had rank that meant you earned that shit.

no way Jose......are you saying that while you were diddy bopping your badass grunt self to the chow hall and some NCO decided to ask you for directions to the PX, you’d stand at a lax parade rest and answe him....gtfo of here...serious?

Some MOS’s in the wing didn’t require much to get promoted in...Like air traffic controllers...they got promo’d quickly and many saw Cpl in 2 years....do they still base promotions on need? I recall that it was difficult and/or just plain lengthy for the 03’s tomget promoted because the pool was much larger.

What does POG stand for? I don’t recall hearing that...also was it your generation that changed BAM to Wookee?

Back