If the U.S. Marine Corps is a separate service so should other subdivisions be

Wow, some familiar faces in that video. haha I graduated tank school in March '01 so I was a couple cycles ahead of you.

I still stay in touch with some of them. Do you know Talavera he might have been in your class? He is doing a online masters of law through USC. He called me up after 10 years because he knows I am a lawyer and I was helping him last week with school.

I still stay in touch with some of them. Do you know Talavera he might have been in your class? He is doing a online masters of law through USC. He called me up after 10 years because he knows I am a lawyer and I was helping him last week with school.

The name rings a bell but I can't say for sure... you ended up at 29 Palms, right? I'm trying to come up with some names of the guys I went to school with but I'm blanking hard. We had a kid that I went to boot camp with that showed up and didn't speak a single word of English... Peregrina I think was his name. He was in my tank class... maybe you knew him?

Jesus Christ no. USAF ground forces still operate with, within, and amongst, an almost entirely USAF based community. Half the problem i had during my service as Army detached was that Army by and large, dont speak Air Force Lingo. At the end of the day, i communicate with pilots, aircrew, and support personnel and removing me from that culture would not have served any purpose except to force army guys to go through years of air force training to fill the deficit. hell, in the USMC, i think they had to have actually been pilots at one point to be FAC's. every other service either sends them Air Force way for training or like the navy has its own aerial warfare schools to do it.

The Royal Air Force has it's own Infantry, the RAF Regiment or, "Rock Apes". Even with the retards we have in government slashing our Defence spending not to the bone but through it, that won't change any time soon.

The Marines obviously are supposed to be part of the navy but they have weirdly morphed into a separate service in the U.S.A. which duplicates elements of the Army and Air Force.

The U.S.M.C. has drifted so far from its original mission that the Navy now has made effectively a new marines group under its command, under the N.E.C.C. Navy Expeditionary Combat Command, to do the jobs the marines were supposed to do.

If the Marines are a separate service then the Naval Air Force, Army Fleet and U.S.A.F. Ground Forces should also be separate services.

What are the Army fleet?

Do they opperate ships under the command of the US Army? that is ineteresting I thought its only the Navy who operates ships.

What are the Army fleet?

Do they opperate ships under the command of the US Army? that is ineteresting I thought its only the Navy who operates ships.

Yes they are army ships, they have landing craft, lighters, tugs, stores vessels, engineer / repair ships that kind of thing

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/6149/meet-the-biggest-and-baddest-ships-in-the-us-army

More stuff from Youtube:

AB9qj8kZmHY

The sailors are fulfilling a mission that used to be accomplished by Marines. The Marines since being reorganized in 1947, have grown into a separate branch no longer under Navy control, and no longer serving the Navy. Marines used to provide shipboard security. No more. Marines used to provide defensive forces and security for major naval bases. No more. Marines used to guard the Navy's nuclear weapons. No more. The Marines have grown from being soldiers of the sea under the command of the Navy and to augment the Fleet's combat capabilities, into its own army. Outside of a nebulous claim to being "amphibious forces" (an obsolete mission in the traditional sense) the Marines provide nothing unique or irreplaceable. The irony is that the Marines grew to big for their britches, and they let the special operations moment pass them by (yes, Marines are not part of soccom, but a day late and a dollar short). When the Marine Corps was smaller, and intimately interwoven with the Navy, both on a practical level and culturally, it may not have been as big but it was perceived as less of a mission threat to the Army and less of a duplicated effort by Congress and the American tax payer. Now the question may be legitimately asked, with NECC providing the soldiers of the sea for the Navy and with the Marines not having a truly unique and subordinate role as a naval force, why do we have two land armies?

That's pretty fair. I've always considered the Marine Corps to be an elite assault force at the tip of the spear. We aren't big Army and we shouldn't try to be. That's where I think our future lays. Something needs to be taken, then send a MEU. Let them seize the territory then give it to the army to hold. Otherwise, why have a second "army"? I definitely think we've earned the right to stay though. We've fought for America since 1775. It's also why I think the physical standards need to go up drastically. Got to earn that check and find a niche. Lately it seems like we've been getting slower.
Kind of. Marines are designed to capture beachheads, ports, and establish footholds. Those footholds are often very hard won, so I agree with high standards. But Marines are sometimes not the right tool for the job when capturing new territory. Sometimes, what should be capturing and occupying territory is wave after wave of Armored Personnel Carriers and Bradley Fighting Vehicles, accompanied by battalions of tanks with artillery support. You guys just simply don't have the infrastructure for that. But we don't have the infrastructure and institutional knowledge for doing amphibious operations and maintaining readiness while doing a float, so there's the trade-off. I don't think you guys should go away because you perform a totally different function.

The Marines were disbanded 1783-1798. I suppose if the Marines have that niche and do it well why fix something if it's not broken. Really does seem like they are just doing Army work though, it's not like their job has anything to do with the Navy. I mean if you look at WW2 it was the Army that did all of the amphibious stuff in Europe and most of it in the Pacific. But yeah if it works I suppose probably just leave it be.
The Marines did an absolute ton of amphibious work in the Pacific. All the island hopping in the Pacific had Marine elements, particularly Iwo Jima. WWII was just so big that we needed the Army to do both Army and Marine jobs in Europe, and they were needed to assist in the Pacific as well because we are easily the largest of the services. Marines have always been small, and they just weren't big enough to do all the Marine missions themselves. We actually still have this problem today, manifest in other ways. We have lots of jobs that should be done by Green Berets, such as the training of the Afghan Army and other forces around the world. We end up using Marines Special Ops and Navy SEALs to help out with these missions, even though that's not what they do because we simply don't have enough Green Berets for all the work that needs to be done. Everyone likes to poke at the bloated defense budget, but we still don't have enough people to do all the stuff that's asked of us. Look beyond the really big number, and you'll see how thin it all gets spread.

More stuff from Youtube:

AB9qj8kZmHY

The sailors are fulfilling a mission that used to be accomplished by Marines. The Marines since being reorganized in 1947, have grown into a separate branch no longer under Navy control, and no longer serving the Navy. Marines used to provide shipboard security. No more. Marines used to provide defensive forces and security for major naval bases. No more. Marines used to guard the Navy's nuclear weapons. No more. The Marines have grown from being soldiers of the sea under the command of the Navy and to augment the Fleet's combat capabilities, into its own army. Outside of a nebulous claim to being "amphibious forces" (an obsolete mission in the traditional sense) the Marines provide nothing unique or irreplaceable. The irony is that the Marines grew to big for their britches, and they let the special operations moment pass them by (yes, Marines are not part of soccom, but a day late and a dollar short). When the Marine Corps was smaller, and intimately interwoven with the Navy, both on a practical level and culturally, it may not have been as big but it was perceived as less of a mission threat to the Army and less of a duplicated effort by Congress and the American tax payer. Now the question may be legitimately asked, with NECC providing the soldiers of the sea for the Navy and with the Marines not having a truly unique and subordinate role as a naval force, why do we have two land armies?

It's not an obsolete mission. It just isn't being used right now. It's a capability worth preserving though in case we do need it. That's why we still have airborne forces, large tank divisions, etc. If we need them, we have them. If we need them and don't have them, we might be fucked and lose a war while we try to generate these forces after the fact.

USMC is considered the red headed stepchild of all of the services. Overall they do the most dangerous work for the least amount of funding but that's generalizing.

Coast Guard says hi

The Marines are still dependent on the Navy for logistics and administration, same as it has always been

I would lump both of those together and just say dependent on support. As there are certain things the Navy just is not equipped to do independently. There are certain things the Marines are not equipped to do independently.

What are the Army fleet?

You were on the right track. The Army operates smaller tugs and freights vice the Navy operates larger ships.

I would lump both of those together and just say dependent on support. As there are certain things the Navy just is not equipped to do independently. There are certain things the Marines are not equipped to do independently.

You were on the right track. The Army operates smaller tugs and freights vice the Navy operates larger ships.
Broke it down to create a deeper understanding :)

I think we actually have more boats than the Navy, haha. We also contract out a lot of stuff like moving equipment and supplies around, and that may be factored in as well. Not sure.

You lot were kicked out of the House ages ago but we still toss a few dollars your way now and then.. lol

....still pop up from time to time to bail the family out.

Someone had to drop the Jarheads off on an island to kill folks, and the Navy gets nervous driving in less than 10 fathoms

....still pop up from time to time to bail the family out.

Someone had to drop the Jarheads off on an island to kill folks, and the Navy gets nervous driving in less than 10 fathoms

lol you guys are actually the forgotten warriors. We depend on your guys heavily for border security.

lol you guys are actually the forgotten warriors. We depend on your guys heavily for border security.

Mother Nature is a raging bitch enemy too

The name rings a bell but I can't say for sure... you ended up at 29 Palms, right? I'm trying to come up with some names of the guys I went to school with but I'm blanking hard. We had a kid that I went to boot camp with that showed up and didn't speak a single word of English... Peregrina I think was his name. He was in my tank class... maybe you knew him?

No I was at Pendleton with 4th Tanks A co. I tad'd over at 29 Palms a couple times and that guy actually seems familiar though.

No I was at Pendleton with 4th Tanks A co. I tad'd over at 29 Palms a couple times and that guy actually seems familiar though.

Ahhh, didn't know you were a tampon. ; ) Cool man, did you know an officer named Storer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back