If Stipe knocks Ngannou out, will he be a star?

Hes already a star in sports loving city. Hopefully he's not concerned with that. I think pursuing a KO would be Stipes downfall. Not that he should completely abandon striking but he'll need to keep Francis honest. Use everything in his tool box. His striking has looked pretty good and it's working for him but his Joshua call outs lead me to believe he may be growing overly confident in his hands. If he comes out trying to prove a point by lingering in the pocket with Francis it could end badly fast. He's got a lot on his plate and playing into Nganous strength would seem to be a disastrous strategy.

They're not promoting Stipe at all because the UFC doesn't think his persona sells but it doesn't matter. If Stipe stops the hype train all the hype will go to him and he will be on everybody's mind.

that tells you something about the metrics of the UFC fan base.

they do not think a hard working midwestern American can sell. Firefighters used to be heros. HW Champs are heros. How can they think that doesnt work?

shit talking plumber on welfare though sells very well.

cfe74cc4e2a2b1cb71a89ad5d76ae4a6.gif

Hes already a star in sports loving city. Hopefully he's not concerned with that. I think pursuing a KO would be Stipes downfall. Not that he should completely abandon striking but he'll need to keep Francis honest. Use everything in his tool box. His striking has looked pretty good and it's working for him but his Joshua call outs lead me to believe he may be growing overly confident in his hands. If he comes out trying to prove a point by lingering in the pocket with Francis it could end badly fast. He's got a lot on his plate and playing into Nganous strength would seem to be a disastrous strategy.
Good points, though I suspect Stipe calling out Joshua has more to do with a desire for bigger money than over confidence in his hands. I hope so anyway, because he'd better fight this one smart.

Ngannou is on the rise but I don't think his that well-known that the hype will transfer from him to Stipe. Hell, even when your well-known to casuals the hype may not transfer like how the Ronda "Fear the return" hype didn't transfer to Nunes. Nate was always pretty liked among the hardcores and known for being Nick's lil bro but the hype transferred from Conor to him cause his a character. Stipe although I appreciate the class act and knockouts is not something the casuals haven't seen before and neither is Nunes. Nate niche can be his a thug that doesn't give a shit.

I don't doubt Ngannou's power, and he probably is the future of the division, but I think Stipe is more well-rounded and he won't give Ngannou the space or time to setup his shots. I think Miocic keeps it close and dirty for the first couple rounds and waits on Ngannou's cardio. The longer the fights goes, the more I think Miocic has the edge, and I could see him stopping Ngannou in the later rounds.

Stipe celebrated his last championship win at applebees. Bow Down to your new big black overlords.

He doesn’t talk shit, and is not a douchebag. So, no...He won’t become a star.

The state of a large percentage of UFC fans is just completely fucked.

I like to think that along with myself. There are still a lot of fans of the old school philosophy when it comes to the UFC. Ppl that like the respectful, hard working, fighters that epitomize the true meaning of Martial Arts.

When clowns like Jones, McGregor, and Dillashaw are thought of as heroes. While GSP, MM, and Stipe are made fun of, and shit talked. You know there are some really shitty ppl on these boards.

I distance myself as far as possible from these amoral douchebags.

Nobody cares what Shertards think. They're irrelevant. I'm talking about the broader MMA community, casuals and the public in general.
Then why are you asking the question on Sherdog?

<JagsKiddingMe>

I think that it would be a breakthrough moment for Stipe given how much momentum Ngannou has going for him. Everyone is expecting Stipe to lose. People are dismissing him despite the fact that he seems incredibly confident and is the champ with a 5-fight winning streak (all finishes).. I'm personally rooting for Stipe. I hope he stops the hype train and then fights Lesnar or Cain after. He's one of my fav champs, he's down to earth, a firefighter, hometown hero, etc.

stipe-miocic-firefighter.jpg

Stipe seems like a cool guy...but he will never be a star that sells ppv's...He's boring...a guy that is a world champion, still needing to work a job...that just doesn't look good...you never hear from him outside of fight week...and he doesn't fight all that often...Blue collar worker, might sound good, but it's not a big seller and doesn't get people interested in you...Plus, I think he's going to get ko'd by ngannue.

He won't, he already have 3 rounds KO, he is just no an star and he never will be, no charismatic, no appealing look, nothing interesting about him but hardcore we must love him

Hes gonna be a ROCK STAR GLOBALLY! THIS STUD HAS CHARISMA AND HW KO POWER.
The dude is gonna go on a long hw title run.
Allot of ppl are uderestimating him....

No. Still won’t be a star. Just doesn’t have the personality, IMO.

I like Stipe. I like Ngannou more. But to answer your question: No.

Becoming a star appears to be only modestly about who you beat. You also need some X-Factor. Here are some X-Factors that I’ve noticed make you a star:

-Having an insane physique.
-Very Witty trash talker.
-Being batshit crazy.
-Unflinchingly humble in all situations despite being incredible.
-Badass, entertaining brawling style win-or-lose. In fact, it’s almost mandatory you take a lot of shots in the process.

You have to have one of these qualities on top of mostly winning.

that tells you something about the metrics of the UFC fan base.

they do not think a hard working midwestern American can sell. Firefighters used to be heros. HW Champs are heros. How can they think that doesnt work?

shit talking plumber on welfare though sells very well.

I look at it from a different angle...why does this guy still need to work as a firefighter? Does he make so little money, that he needs to...that doesn't look good...or is he choosing to be a fire fighter anyways...that still, doesn't look good...a professional world champion fighter, should not be working a regular blue collar job....it doesn't look good.

Back