If Sergei blocks all of Curtis takedowns and finishes him in less than 2 rounds, is it safe to say..

Alcatrosz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He will have a decent chance at beating jones? Let's say 40% or so? I think his chances would be better than everyones, including Ngannou.

Blaydes couldn't takedown Lewis either though. People forget. He was winning on the feet but he did try.

The narrative now is that Gane's takedown defense sucks so much that Cejudo could take him down but I think that what Jones did to him was very impressive. He wasn't expecting Ngannou to wrestle and he was the one who got the takedown in the last round, before that, he was always the one landing takedown on his opponents. I'm not confident Pavlovich would stop Jones even if he stops Blaydes easily.

But Pavlovich seems to only need seconds to put people away, he could win the same way JDS won against Cain. He has almost the same height and reach as Jones and Jones has always struggled with those!

Last edited:
Blaydes couldn't takedown Lewis either though. People forget. He was winning on the feet but he did try.

The narrative now is that Gane's takedown defense sucks so much that Cejudo could take him down but I think was Jones did to him was very impressive. I'm not confident Pavlovich would stop him even if he stops Blaydes easily.

Curtis took down Overeem AT WILL.
And gane got wrestlered fucked by Ngannou on ONE LEG.
Jones could not even take down dominick reyes. Landed only 3 out of 11 takedown attmepts on freaking Smith. And failed every single takedown attempt against OSP in the first 3 rounds. Only took OSP down after OSP broke his hand in round 4 and 5. OSP who is known for having terrible TDD.
Also Gane threw one of the most sloppiest punches ever that resulted in him turning his back to jones LOL. Everyone would have taken down Gane in that situation.

Last edited:
He will have a decent chance at beating jones? Let's say 40% or so? I think his chances would be better than everyones, including Ngannou.
Jones is retiring after he finishes Stipe. Literally nothing left for his legacy beyond that MSG fight. All of this is kind of moot. However, Jones takedowns are night and day different compared to Blaydes' blast doubles. I think Overeem finished Sergei using a trip and then vicious ground and pound. Jones will have way more tools to take Serge down

I already give him an excellent chance to beat Jones. I would consider him the favorite in that fight.

I think so. Doubt we ever see the fight though. A Sergei coming off a finish would be 10X more intriguing vs Jones than more than a 41 year old, semi-retired Stipe who hasn't won a fight in more than 3 years.

On that note, I also wouldn't mind if they did Sergei vs Stipe if Sergei won. The winner of that fight would no doubt have a hell of a lot more intrigue vs Jones.

I think so. Doubt we ever see the fight though. A Sergei coming off a finish would be 10X more intriguing vs Jones than more than a 41 year old, semi-retired Stipe who hasn't won a fight in more than 3 years.

On that note, I also wouldn't mind if they did Sergei vs Stipe if Sergei won. The winner of that fight would no doubt have a hell of a lot more intrigue vs Jones.
Jones finishes both of them IMO

I think Blaydes is going to run through the division. He wins tonight and wins the belt in his next fight. Jon will retire after fighting Stipe, so Blaydes will have to fight someone else for the belt. After he wins the belt his confidence will skyrocket and he'll defend the belt a few times before retiring.

The narrative now is that Gane's takedown defense sucks so much that Cejudo could take him down but I think that what Jones did to him was very impressive. He wasn't expecting Ngannou to wrestle and he was the one who got the takedown in the last round, before that, he was always the one landing takedown on his opponents. I'm not confident Pavlovich would stop Jones even if he stops Blaydes easily.

But Pavlovich seems to only need seconds to put people away, he could win the same way JDS won against Cain. He has almost the same height and reach as Jones and Jones has always struggled with those!

I don't know man I more convinced that Gane has Dsrren Till level takedown defense and grappling iq thant Jones having god tier takedown after I saw him struggle taking down Smith, Reyes and 1 leg Santos.

Jones could not even take down dominick reyes.

You have absolutely no clue wtf you are talking about. You obviously didn't watch the fight.

Jones took Reyes down twice in that fight.

Curtis took down Overeem AT WILL.
And gane got wrestlered fucked by Ngannou on ONE LEG.
Jones could not even take down dominick reyes. Landed only 3 out of 11 takedown attmepts on freaking Smith. And failed every single takedown attempt against OSP in the first 3 rounds. Only took OSP down after OSP broke his hand in round 4 and 5. OSP who is known for having terrible TDD.
Also Gane threw one of the most sloppiest punches ever that resulted in him turning his back to jones LOL. Everyone would have taken down Gane in that situation.
Jones is one of the most effective and best MMA grappler there is. Don’t forget he even got DC down.

I think more of an issue with ganes performance. He kinda panicked in the grappling exchange which made it worse because he's inexperienced.

Curtis doesn't really fight or shoot for TD similarly to Jones, at all, so probably no.
IDK about Cejudo, but I get what you mean.
I bet, however, that some MW wrestlers could easily do it, like "prime" Chael or Rockhold.

It’s safe to say……He was better than Blaydes. Will show us nothing in a fight with Jones.

Back