If Pax Americana ended, what would happen?

Goonerview

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
The USA is basically the police of the world, one of the reasons stopping countries from expanding and taking over each other is the threat of US intervention, among other reasons.

If Donald Trump kept his promises and withdrew US bases from all over the world and took the USA into a more non-interventionalist way. What would happen?

Personally, I think after a few wars, the world would eventually be peaceful. The US tinkering in other countries affairs is not a good thing and they dont get any thanks for it anyway. Look at Iraq.

Russia may try expanding into Europe, China may start expanding.

North Korea may invade the South.

Interesting to think about.

Legit lol

So we're gonna beef up the military but we'll also be withdrawing from bases around the world.

South korea spends more on military than the north spends on literally everything. North aint gonna do shit.

Would the US still be responsible for protecting Europe? If not, they'd probably have to take the money they're currently spending on social goodies and develop a legitimate defense budget of their own. Hell, they're doing a poor job of avoiding being taken over even with US protection.

I don't know what you're prediction for world peace is based on. There have been wars since long before the US was even a thought, and crazy dictators looking for expansion and takeovers aren't suddenly just going go away. The point is to keep them contained so they don't become powerful enough to take over other places.

The world today sees wars fought on ideological and economical fronts. A carrier group making way from Norfolk, Virginia can't do shit about refugees, corrupt politicians, and those who seek to change a country or culture from within which is what we see today. Nobody is going to use a military to invade the UK or USA. Instead, policies will be pushed and adopted to "take over" and change the country from within.

Russia has to be laughing at the current state of the US. At one time we loved our God and Country, hunted our food, and kept a family going on single income while a woman stayed home and made sure the household was held together. English was the Native language and we had controls in place for how many people could come to and become Americans. Now we chastise teachers if their Christian necklace is visible while teaching about Islam, we have children convinced at age 9 that they are transgendered, Mom and Dad don't marry and if they do, they often struggle even with dual income. I'm not saying that we need to regress to the 50's, I'm just saying that somewhere along the line we seem to have gone 'off the tracks" of useful progression and lost a bit of the decency that helped make this Country great.

It would unleash Russia to regain lost territory and substantially increase their population and GDP, making them a much bigger player. Iran would probably have nukes by now and be causing even more instability in the region. This would in turn inspire the Sunni countries to attempt to acquire nukes and probably lead to an arm's race in the region. Alternatively, Israel might have even attacked Iran or others because they'd likely be far more belligerent with regards to potential threats if they didn't know the US would always be there. China would likely be far more aggressive in the SCS and probably attempt to take Taiwan sooner than later through force or threat. Order would largely remain in Western Europe, but the dynamic would change significantly elsewhere. China and Russia would probably take on more adversarial roles with each other if they were no longer more concerned with countering US actions to contain them.

South korea spends more on military than the north spends on literally everything. North aint gonna do shit.

North Korea literally have a million man army and tons of artillery aiming in one direction to the south.

If the USA withdrew support and they decided to march south, they would take some stopping, for sure.

North Korea literally have a million man army and tons of artillery aiming in one direction to the south.

If the USA withdrew support and they decided to march south, they would take some stopping, for sure.
My whole life, the US has been in the enviable position of being expected to help or "where the fuck are you? ", but only exactly as much as desired and then "fuck off, we don't want your help".

My whole life, the US has been in the enviable position of being expected to help or "where the fuck are you? ", but only exactly as much as desired and then "fuck off, we don't want your help".

Yeah.

Also, with the Korean situation, Seoul is literally right near the border with the North. If a million+ North Korean soldiers suddenly started to March south. They would take some stopping. Regardless of what technology you've got.

Withdrawing the US military from the region may make them more likely to "have a go".

Yeah.

Also, with the Korean situation, Seoul is literally right near the border with the North. If a million+ North Korean soldiers suddenly started to March south. They would take some stopping. Regardless of what technology you've got.

Withdrawing the US military from the region may make them more likely to "have a go".
I have no doubt that the sudden disappearance of the US as a peace keeping force would result in some military actions that were being held in check.

The USA is basically the police of the world, one of the reasons stopping countries from expanding and taking over each other is the threat of US intervention, among other reasons.

If Donald Trump kept his promises and withdrew US bases from all over the world and took the USA into a more non-interventionalist way. What would happen?

Personally, I think after a few wars, the world would eventually be peaceful. The US tinkering in other countries affairs is not a good thing and they dont get any thanks for it anyway. Look at Iraq.

Well the Russians would move aggressively to expand. Same with the Chinese and Indians. Israel would get into a shooting proxy war with a bunch of terrorist funded by saudis. Japan would seek to counter China by allying closer with Taiwan, South Korea, Phillines and Oz.

Africa would get carved up by russia and china with some indian influence. South America governments would be bought off or overthrown for governments that could be bought off

It'd be really really bad.

a new hegemonic power would step in. this is basically a guarantee.

human groups/countries naturally create a pecking order.

a new hegemonic power would step in. this is basically a guarantee.

human groups/countries naturally create a pecking order.

Exactly. There would massive strife and social upheaval until the new power or powers stepped up. Depending on the morals of whoever steps up the rest of the world would be influenced. Part of the reason the world right now is innovating at an incredible pace is because America values inventions more than anything else. Plus compared to most of the world powers we are actually the good guys.

Let's game this out. How to stop a million man army from crossing the DMZ. It might involve nuclear weapons. And not ones from North Korea.

Exactly. There would massive strife and social upheaval until the new power or powers stepped up. Depending on the morals of whoever steps up the rest of the world would be influenced. Part of the reason the world right now is innovating at an incredible pace is because America values inventions more than anything else. Plus compared to most of the world powers we are actually the good guys.

yea, this reminds me of a process ive gone through as ive gotten older.

when i was in high school, i was taught basically that the US has never done anything wrong, and that we're the best at everything.

when i got to college, i had a more balanced education in my history courses, and learned that america is like anywhere else. we've done some good shit and some bad. so then i became sort of resentful.

THEN i understood that if we werent the big power doing some occasional bad shit....who would i put in our place? the answer for me is no one. of the other potential world powers, i do think we would do the least of the bad deeds around the world.

Let's game this out. How to stop a million man army from crossing the DMZ. It might involve nuclear weapons. And not ones from North Korea.

Does South Korea even have independent nukes? I don't think so.

If the US withdrew its support. The north would be pretty hard to stop.

Heck, even the UK technically requires permission from the US to use nukes.

Last edited:
After WW1, we tried stepping out, going isolationist and let Europe handle their own shit

The results are well known

I still would like a more isolationist policy, because it would be better for Americans, if not the rest of the world

Would be funny to see the countries that complain about us, begging to save them from the Russian empire

The north would flatten the south before they even engage

The north would flatten the south before they even engage

Why are people pretending that the south korean army basically is nonexistant?

Theor army is half the manpower of the north. But is is so massively superior in technology it would not even be a fight. A ton of peasants holding ak47s isnt going to do jack shit against an airforce. They could mess up seoul pretty bad with artillery barrages, but that is nowhere close to winning a war.

Why are people pretending that the south korean army basically is nonexistant?

Theor army is half the manpower of the north. But is is so massively superior in technology it would not even be a fight. A ton of peasants holding ak47s isnt going to do jack shit against an airforce. They could mess up seoul pretty bad with artillery barrages, but that is nowhere close to winning a war.

The South have better technology, but Seoul is only 35 miles from North Korea.

The Seoul metropolitan area has about 50% of the entire South Korean population living there.

If it kicked off, the north would launch everything they had and be marching on the capital within the first few days.

Without US support or the threat of going nuclear, it would be very hard to stop that kind of barrage.

Back