If I was Alistair Overeem right now, or even Curtis Blaydes, I'd be pissed.

Putting Punk and Megan on there ahead of this fight was shitty, but it was also obvious why Dana did it. What I can't really understand is why Tuivasa and Arlovski were put ahead of them. Those guys are ranked 9 and 11. Blaydes and Reem are ranked 2 and 4. Why does the UFC even bother ranking fighters if it is meaningless to them? Was Tuivasa really seen as being more popular because he likes to drink out of peoples' shoes?
They clearly put Overeem on the prelims to get more eyes on it. But they also expected the main card to sell much more. They didn't wanna put all their eggs in one basket. Turns out their main basket was mostly rotten eggs. Don't think Overeem being on the main card would've made much of a difference anyway. I am surprised by how low the buyrate is though.

Putting Punk and Megan on there ahead of this fight was shitty, but it was also obvious why Dana did it. What I can't really understand is why Tuivasa and Arlovski were put ahead of them. Those guys are ranked 9 and 11. Blaydes and Reem are ranked 2 and 4. Why does the UFC even bother ranking fighters if it is meaningless to them? Was Tuivasa really seen as being more popular because he likes to drink out of peoples' shoes?

maybe it was because they believed that tuivasa vs arlo will be a striking game, with tuivasa being a brawler and arlo a striker, while they knew that reem will run and run until he will get wrestled by blaydes.

Dana is a shit business man.

It amazes me how dumbasses think he is some sort of a genius selling 85k cards and below 200k cards lol.

inb4 "Sure bro, you could make the UFC into a $4 billion business"....Yes, Yes I could if I had rich friends like Dana.

I already know what the people want.....They don't want WMMA to headline PPV cards....They want real fucking fights, not fucking CM PUNK.

I would change the UFC into PRIDEFC 2.0..........I would make into the spectacle, it should be while still giving the fans interesting matchups that make sense.

I would have international cards with real fight rules....meaning Stomps/Soccer Kicks allowed.

Open weight Tournaments.....Lots of people are intrigued by little guy vs huge guy...both hardcores and casuals.

Get rid of Shitagon......Replace it with a ring which leads to more action and looks better IRL.

Get rid of TuF and recruit fighters from disciplines we havent heard before like Indian mud wrestling, etc and pay for their MMA training.... lots of weird fighting arts of countries that have never even heard of MMA, and get them into MMA.....Not only will it be intriguing but it would grow the MMA talent pool...Create a TV show out of this and watch them evolve....We could also recruit NFL guys into this to finally answer the A level athlete question.

You mean Pride 2.0?
OK,I'll buy it.
Can't be worse than current UFC.

Hindsight is a bitch.
"Hindsight"? There was 100 threads talking about how idiotic it was prior to the card happening.

Now they've displaced one staple of the HW division, while giving 0 coverage to the guy that should have replaced him. In a division that desperately needs new stars/excitement.

Nothing to do with hindsight. Punk was exactly the flop everyone predicted, the decision was every bit as horrible as everyone predicted.

lol apparently. Good point. By every definition in the world Overeem/Blaydes should have been ahead of Arlovski/Tuivasa. Ranking + fan interest + division importance.

Overeem and Blades said they didn't care, because they still get paid their normal wages.
Overeem still cashed 800k and probably don't even remember he was on the prelims.
But from a business point of view, it might be a bad choice to Overeem and blades on the prelims instead of that ballet dancer of a CM Punk

It's more embarrassing for Dana if anyone.

He's put a freak show on the main card, a fight between a man who was 0-1 and who displayed probably the worst skills ever witnessed in the octagon vs. another 0-1 man who thought it was a sparring match.

Even the local MMA shows where I live have better skilled fights than that fight.

If anything Dana will blush when he meets with Overeem again.

Aside from the Punk fight, what "rotten eggs" did you find?
I didn't mind any of the fights. Even the Punk fight, because I was expecting two amateurs and that's what I got. By rotten eggs, I mean, fights/fighters that didn't draw buys from the casuals. I am basing that on the early reports of 150-200k buys, which I find very surprising for this card. Expected it to do at least 350k.

The Punk fight wasn't hyped up very much, and the UFC hasn't been pumping hype for a few months now... it feels like they're "saving it" for one of their chosen ones.

Overeem would have probably rather been on the PPV that way less people would have seen him getting stopped. But Blaydes is better off to have more people see the fight.

I didn't mind any of the fights. Even the Punk fight, because I was expecting two amateurs and that's what I got. By rotten eggs, I mean, fights/fighters that didn't draw buys from the casuals. I am basing that on the early reports of 150-200k buys, which I find very surprising for this card. Expected it to do at least 350k.

You expected it to sell better, I expected it to sell better--chances are the UFC expected it to sell better. I'm not a fan of the management but I hesitate to criticise them for this event because they really put together a good card. The customer isn't always right.

It amazes me how dumbasses think he is some sort of a genius selling 85k cards and below 200k cards lol.

inb4 "Sure bro, you could make the UFC into a $4 billion business"....Yes, Yes I could if I had rich friends like Dana.

I already know what the people want.....They don't want WMMA to headline PPV cards....They want real fucking fights, not fucking CM PUNK.

I would change the UFC into PRIDEFC 2.0..........I would make into the spectacle, it should be while still giving the fans interesting matchups that make sense.

I would have international cards with real fight rules....meaning Stomps/Soccer Kicks allowed.

Open weight Tournaments.....Lots of people are intrigued by little guy vs huge guy...both hardcores and casuals.

Get rid of Shitagon......Replace it with a ring which leads to more action and looks better IRL.

Get rid of TuF and recruit fighters from disciplines we havent heard before like Indian mud wrestling, etc and pay for their MMA training.... lots of weird fighting arts of countries that have never even heard of MMA, and get them into MMA.....Not only will it be intriguing but it would grow the MMA talent pool...Create a TV show out of this and watch them evolve....We could also recruit NFL guys into this to finally answer the A level athlete question.

You are a dumb, dumb man.

It was a stupid decision but I think Overeem is on his way out of the game, so I doubt he cares much about building his name at this point. On that same note though, CM Punk provides absolutely no long term benefit to the company and promoting him was such a ridiculous waste of a slot that they could have put some young 20 year old prospect in to start building up into a mega star 5 years down the road.

It's 2018 and there are still peoples discovering for the first time that dana is a piece of shit who can't give less fucks about the sport of mma

Aside from the obvious downside of getting finished by Blaydes, I'd be mad as hell that I wasn't on the main card. The reason given by Dana White, to a room full of reporters, was that "When Overeem sells as many PPV's as Punk, then we can talk".

UFC 225 went on to sell less than 200k, and the fight was derided by the same man who tried to justify it two weeks prior.

Dana is delusional.
The 200k number is fake. Meltzer has already said its much higher and estimates will be up next week.

The thing of it is Conor Mcgregor, Brock Lesnar, and Gsp are the only 3 fighters that get people talking about the UFC anymore. Most people I know do not know who Romero or Whitaker are. They don’t know Tyron Woodley or Wonderboy. That’s 4 title matches in the recent history and no one gives a shit.
Put all their eggs in one basket. Drop the basket: bunch of shitty yolky mess.
It's lazy quick fix management. Happens everywhere when greed takes priority. Drop the basket and hope somebody else clears the mess.

How bout some Mongolian wrestlers

And you would then lose your ass and all the investors ass. Pride died for a reason.

Back