If I was Alistair Overeem right now, or even Curtis Blaydes, I'd be pissed.

FloydMayweatherMMA

Money Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious downside of getting finished by Blaydes, I'd be mad as hell that I wasn't on the main card. The reason given by Dana White, to a room full of reporters, was that "When Overeem sells as many PPV's as Punk, then we can talk".

UFC 225 went on to sell less than 200k, and the fight was derided by the same man who tried to justify it two weeks prior.

Dana is delusional.

Dana is a shit business man.

It amazes me how dumbasses think he is some sort of a genius selling 85k cards and below 200k cards lol.

inb4 "Sure bro, you could make the UFC into a $4 billion business"....Yes, Yes I could if I had rich friends like Dana.

I already know what the people want.....They don't want WMMA to headline PPV cards....They want real fucking fights, not fucking CM PUNK.

I would change the UFC into PRIDEFC 2.0..........I would make into the spectacle, it should be while still giving the fans interesting matchups that make sense.

I would have international cards with real fight rules....meaning Stomps/Soccer Kicks allowed.

Open weight Tournaments.....Lots of people are intrigued by little guy vs huge guy...both hardcores and casuals.

Get rid of Shitagon......Replace it with a ring which leads to more action and looks better IRL.

Get rid of TuF and recruit fighters from disciplines we havent heard before like Indian mud wrestling, etc and pay for their MMA training.... lots of weird fighting arts of countries that have never even heard of MMA, and get them into MMA.....Not only will it be intriguing but it would grow the MMA talent pool...Create a TV show out of this and watch them evolve....We could also recruit NFL guys into this to finally answer the A level athlete question.

Aside from the obvious downside of getting finished by Blaydes, I'd be mad as hell that I wasn't on the main card. The reason given by Dana White, to a room full of reporters, was that "When Overeem sells as many PPV's as Punk, then we can talk".

UFC 225 went on to sell less than 200k, and the fight was derided by the same man who tried to justify it two weeks prior.

Dana is delusional.
Overeem and Blaydes probabaly didnt care. That fight was put as the "main event" on the prelims BECAUSE it was a big fight with a prospect and a very decorated veteran. The idea was people would buy the PPV after seeing that fight. CM Punk was on the ppv because WME was assuming he was a draw and thus people would buy the PPV. So what the fuck is the problem? What dont you understand about that? The fight happened regadless and more people watched that fight since is was free on TV. More eyes on both fighters because of it being free on TV. Neither get ppv buys cause they arent the champ so wtf are you complaining about?? Please elaborate.

Edit - regardless of bout order that PPV was going to do the same buyrate. CM Punk probably has a bigger following than overeem because of his wwe past.

Overeem was the highest paid athlete that night, don’t think he cares if he’s on fight pass even, I reckon he has one of the best contracts in UFC, Curtis blaydes yeah I agree probably needed the exposure on ppv more but they decided to give it to Tai tuivasa instead

Imagine being upset that only 150k people saw you rather than 650k

What about the Pillsbury Doughboy being on the main card instead of Blaydes/Reem?

The Doughboy couldn't even get the highlight reel KO they were hoping for him to and arguably lost while Blaydes (a much better prospect/contender) did get a brutal finish.

The thing of it is Conor Mcgregor, Brock Lesnar, and Gsp are the only 3 fighters that get people talking about the UFC anymore. Most people I know do not know who Romero or Whitaker are. They don’t know Tyron Woodley or Wonderboy. That’s 4 title matches in the recent history and no one gives a shit.

Overeem was the highest paid athlete that night, don’t think he cares if he’s on fight pass even, I reckon he has one of the best contracts in UFC, Curtis blaydes yeah I agree probably needed the exposure on ppv more but they decided to give it to Tai tuivasa instead

What exposure on PPV? Many more people would have watched the free show than paid for the ppv so more people saw his fight

Imagine being upset that only 150k people saw you rather than 650k

Other way round, but THIS.

If they would have got a cut of the PPV money, then yeah, there would be cause for them to be upset.

It amazes me how dumbasses think he is some sort of a genius selling 85k cards and below 200k cards lol.

inb4 "Sure bro, you could make the UFC into a $4 billion business"....Yes, Yes I could if I had rich friends like Dana.
I love idiots like you posting on sherdog how dana is a bad businessman when he get's paid $20 million per year salary + bonuses and has a net worth of $500 million.... I am sure Dana is butthurt over your opinion :)

if that is terrible businessman, then i wish i was terrible too

oh and the whole "Sure bro, you could make the UFC into a $4 billion business"....Yes, Yes I could if I had rich friends like Dana statement is retarded.... he's friends didnt give him the money out of charity, they are venture capitalist and dana pitched them a business proposition and they found it to be a good pitch and went into business with him.... no different than any upstart company that pitches it's idea/product to any venture capitalist.... if you are such a great businessman then go pitch your rival ufc idea to a venture capitalist and convince them how you can make an even bigger MMA organization and they will fund you in a second.

my guess is you're not as great as you think you are and the venture capitalist would inform you of that and turn you and your ideas away:)

Dana is delusional.

Reem gives 0 f*cks, he got his payday.

Get rid of TuF and recruit fighters from disciplines we havent heard before like Indian mud wrestling, etc and pay for their MMA training.... lots of weird fighting arts of countries that have never even heard of MMA, and get them into MMA.....Not only will it be intriguing but it would grow the MMA talent pool...Create a TV show out of this and watch them evolve....We could also recruit NFL guys into this to finally answer the A level athlete question.

I really like this idea.

Putting Punk and Megan on there ahead of this fight was shitty, but it was also obvious why Dana did it. What I can't really understand is why Tuivasa and Arlovski were put ahead of them. Those guys are ranked 9 and 11. Blaydes and Reem are ranked 2 and 4. Why does the UFC even bother ranking fighters if it is meaningless to them? Was Tuivasa really seen as being more popular because he likes to drink out of peoples' shoes?

I already know what the people want.....They don't want WMMA to headline PPV cards....They want real fucking fights, not fucking CM PUNK.

I would change the UFC into PRIDEFC 2.0..........I would make into the spectacle, it should be while still giving the fans interesting matchups that make sense.

I would have international cards with real fight rules....meaning Stomps/Soccer Kicks allowed.

Open weight Tournaments.....Lots of people are intrigued by little guy vs huge guy...both hardcores and casuals.

Get rid of Shitagon......Replace it with a ring which leads to more action and looks better IRL.

Fuck a ring and most of those ideas as well.

great ideas, except the shitagon part.
but ufc 225 was a good card (except punk) and still did not sell.
people, above all, want fighters like conor, brock, ronda.
these people sell.

honestly, they probably got more views being on network TV rather than the PPV.

Overeem still got paid like 800k cuz of his veteran status or whatever. he dont care. And now Blaydes has to get through Volkov for the title

Back