If Edgar and DC become a 2 division champ, who will have the better legacy?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Who will have cemented a better legacy if they become a 2 division champ?

DC?
hqdefault.jpg

Or Edgar?
frankie-edgar.jpeg

Thoughts?

DC. Mainly cuz he will have done it simultaneously and and only lost to a cheater, plus Edgar can’t beat Aldo. I still think Edgar belongs in the top 5 p4p and goat consideration though. The longevity he has had in the sport at the highest level is unparalleled.

DC on paper, since he only lost to Jones, who was considered the GOAT and has a PED history.

The thing is Frankie fought in the two best and most stacked divisions, while DC fought in the two weakest and thinnest divisions.

In this imaginary situation, Edgar by unquestionably beating the real champ of both divisions and by staying top 5 for a decade.

Also, beating Penn still means more to me than anything DC has accomplished.

Last edited:
DC because hes only ever lost to one man, with a big old asterix next to those losses

Easy one. DC only lost to the GOAT.

I'm surprised by how many people are saying DC.

Penn, being a former two weight division champ, is the best win on either resume.

A win over Max would also be better than any win on DC's resume (except stipe).

Edgar has more top wins and has stayed top 5 longer than DC.

In this imaginary scenario, Edgar will have beaten two champs that were undeniably the champs, where as DC never really beat the guy at 205lbs.

Edgar has never been finished--DC has.

I like DC, but I can't see how it's not Edgar here.

Cormier. Now to be sure, Frankie Edgar is a warrior through and through but he does have unfortunate black spots where he allowed the fight to go to the hands of the judges and just put too much trust in them to make the right decision. Both Benson fights could be seen as examples with the second one being particularly unfortunate for Edgar. Cormier went into just about much any fight with no intention of looking for anyone but him to make the case that he won it. The often considered greatest MMA fighter ever felt the need to blatantly violate USADA policies to win a rematch when Cormier was clearly clean as a whistle. If Cormier could get a win over Miocic and be two division champ then St Pierre, as of now, is the only other MMA fighter whose legacy would be at his level. This is somewhat subjective; some may say Edgar has never been finished while DC has. That said, I would consider getting finished by a guy who was blatantly cheating when you weren't to be less of a negative impact than losing a decision you could have won had you not placed too much trust in judges to make the right call.

Frank

DC will only be a double champ because Jones can't get right.

Edit: Just realized mans graduated to gold belt in Sher-jitsu

tTuwL4y.gif

Last edited:
I'm surprised by how many people are saying DC.

Penn, being a former two weight division champ, is the best win on either resume.

A win over Max would also be better than any win on DC's resume (except stipe).

Edgar has more top wins and has stayed top 5 longer than DC.

In this imaginary scenario, Edgar will have beaten two champs that were undeniably the champs, where as DC never really beat the guy at 205lbs.

Edgar has never been finished--DC has.

I like DC, but I can't see how it's not Edgar here.
There´s also the fact that if Edgar gets the 2nd belt, he will have done it by fighting his way up the rankings in both divisions. Whereas DC will only move up and go straight to the champ, without fighting his way up the rankings.

Will Edgar have surpassed Aldo in overall legacy if he wins a second belt? Probably not, I'd say, but there's an interesting argument to be made.

Will Edgar have surpassed Aldo in overall legacy if he wins a second belt? Probably not, I'd say, but there's an interesting argument to be made.
Exactly, make a comparison between Edgar and Aldo´s legacy. How much weight do people give to things like a streak of title defenses , belts in different divisions, fighting bigger opponents and direct confrontation.

Edit: Aldo would have to his favour the streak of title defenses and direct confrontation 2-0.
Edgar to his favour would have belts in 2 different divisions and he fought the bigger opponents throughout his entire career.

Last edited:

They're different types of accomplishments. It's hard to compare.

One thing people are forgetting is that this hypothetical situation suggests that frankie will not only beat max, but Ortega too, thus adding two more top guys to Frankie's resume.

I love frankie but, dc only has 1 loss to a to guy who was on peds. DC already been a SF HW Champion and ufc lhw champion. Edgar is way behind here.

They're different types of accomplishments. It's hard to compare.

One thing people are forgetting is that this hypothetical situation suggests that frankie will not only bebe max, but Ortega too, thus adding two more top guys to Frankie's resume.
There's definitely a strong argument to be made for Frankie in that scenario over Aldo, since Edgar would have accomplished more on paper despite Aldo having his number in their matchups stylistically. Aldo may well be the better fighter though, so it's a contest of whether resume or actual ability is important.

I don't see it happening though, honestly. I can't really see him beating Holloway unless Max's TDD gets exposed hard.

There's definitely a strong argument to be made for Frankie in that scenario over Aldo, since Edgar would have accomplished more on paper despite Aldo having his number in their matchups. Aldo is the better fighter though, so it's a contest of whether resume or actual ability is important.

I don't see it happening though, honestly. I can't really see him beating Holloway unless Max's TDD gets exposed hard.

I liked Frankie's chances more before max got injured. Now Frankie will be even older and more shop worn if he gets past Ortega. Each day that passes increases Max's chances. Although, max injured his leg right? We'll see how well he comes back from an injury like that.

Back