If DJ doesn't duck TJ

TJ has no wins at Flyweight.

That's what championships are for. You EARN them in the division.

Yeah, but it doesnt work like that, big name can jump the line if the fight make$ sense, Edgar did it, Conor did it, GSP was going to against Bisping.

Can't see TJ making 125. He looks pretty bad at 135. 10 more pounds is a lot.

So did Alves, Pettis, Hendricks, Gastelum, Lineker, Rumble. TJ looks like he can just about make 135.

These^

This fight has weigh-in disaster written all over it.

tj-dillashaw-joe-soto-ufc-177.jpg

DillashawMandelSherdog.jpg

Yeah, but it doesnt work like that, big name can jump the line if the fight make$ sense, Edgar did it, Conor did it, GSP was going to against Bisping.

I can give you far more examples of fighters not getting the title shot right away vs the 3 exceptions you are listing.

I don't think it works that way when we talk about moving down divisions. It's assumed if you've reached contender/champ status at a higher weight class that you have earned that level at the weight class below by default. That's why weight classes exist.

lol. There is no rule or practice in place for moving down weight classes.

God damn the UFC is turning fans retarded.

lol. There is no rule or practice in place for moving down weight classes.

God damn the UFC is turning fans retarded.
Who was Edgar's first fight at Featherweight? Yep. There is precedent and it makes complete logical sense. Sorry.

That is not a precedent. That is an exception.

Did Pettis get the FW shot? No, he did not.
Pettis had already lost multiple fights after losing the belt before moving down. It's a completely different scenario.

Edit: It's also different because the 145 division already has/had several legit contenders. Flyweight does not. The fact is, TJ makes perfect sense if he WANTS to move down to 125 and Demetrious is scared of losing his chance to break Silva's record against him. I'm sorry bud but you're kidding yourself if you don't think that's the case.

That is not a precedent. That is an exception.

Did Pettis get the FW shot? No, he did not.

You realize that is a terrible example right? Anthony Pettis was scheduled to fight Jose Aldo at 145lbs before he even got his 155lb title shot. Pettis just got injured and had to pull out of the fight, that's why Korean Zombie got his title shot.

Many fighters who were actually at the top level in their division have been given title fights in another one because of their skill level. BJ Penn twice for the welterweight title moved up in weight to get an instant shot (the first time was his debut at the weight)

TJ is the #1 contender at a much deeper weightclass with over double the competitors within it, he was promised a title shot and cannot fight for the one in his weightclass. Flyweight is without a real challenger so if he can make the weight then he definitely deserves it.

Flyweight is DJ's natural weight class though. He never fights with a size advantage, often a disadvantage.

How do you know it's his natural weight class. Are you his biological twin and have to deal with the same weight gain/loss issues?

I can give you far more examples of fighters not getting the title shot right away vs the 3 exceptions you are listing.

Please, list big names that were sent back to the line while switching divisions and had to earn their title shot, if the UFC thinks the fight will be a good finnancial move, they will do it, i didnt said it was the rule, but i mentioned examples of fighters doing it.

Flyweight is DJ's natural weight class though. He never fights with a size advantage, often a disadvantage.

Yeah. If he cut as much weight as other fighters he could probably make 115 lbs, if there was such a division.

Wouldn't count DJ outta any fight, he's proven he's a top dog in the game.

That being said, with what his record is and how he's been tearing through people, taking the Borg fight above TJ is a joke, the guy is on a 2 fight win streak and never makes weight. To me he wants that easy fight

Please, list big names that were sent back to the line while switching divisions and had to earn their title shot, if the UFC thinks the fight will be a good finnancial move, they will do it, i didnt said it was the rule, but i mentioned examples of fighters doing it.

Everyone knows the examples.

UFC also holds up divisions for Conor to hold 2 titles. We all know why they do it.

It's still wrong to do it and hurts the company because they might make a nice lil payday for the card but for the long run it's fuck everything up and people will stop caring if it's ran like a circus.

You realize that is a terrible example right? Anthony Pettis was scheduled to fight Jose Aldo at 145lbs before he even got his 155lb title shot. Pettis just got injured and had to pull out of the fight, that's why Korean Zombie got his title shot.

Many fighters who were actually at the top level in their division have been given title fights in another one because of their skill level. BJ Penn twice for the welterweight title moved up in weight to get an instant shot (the first time was his debut at the weight)

TJ is the #1 contender at a much deeper weightclass with over double the competitors within it, he was promised a title shot and cannot fight for the one in his weightclass. Flyweight is without a real challenger so if he can make the weight then he definitely deserves it.

TJ is the number 1 contender at Bantamweight which has nothing to do with Flyweight.

Pettis had already lost multiple fights after losing the belt before moving down. It's a completely different scenario.

Edit: It's also different because the 145 division already has/had several legit contenders. Flyweight does not. The fact is, TJ makes perfect sense if he WANTS to move down to 125 and Demetrious is scared of losing his chance to break Silva's record against him. I'm sorry bud but you're kidding yourself if you don't think that's the case.

No, it makes no sense.

If it's non title then it makes sense.

That's just silly, a non-title fight wouldn't make sense. If TJ cuts down to 125lbs and beats the champion then he should be the champ lol

I understand the argument against it, but it's the most compelling and on paper challenging fight for Mighty Mouse. TJ is a proven championship level fighter and the only guy that would deserve the shot more is Joseph Benavidez (but he just was injured).

Duck? He should fight a higher weight class fighter who has never fought at 125 for maybe a little more money?
He should fight the best competition and that's TJ if he's willing to move down. What does being champion mean? It means you've beaten the best guys. It doesn't mean you beat random guys who happen to have more history in the weight class.

Back