If DC doesn't use up all his energy trying to take down Jones...

Dream20

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I think he has a good chance of winning standing.

I'm basing that on how well he did striking with Gus and knocking out TRTBigfoot for example (
something Mark Hunt couldn't do).

Thoughts?

I think he has a good chance of winning standing.

I'm basing that on how well he did striking with Gus and knocking out TRTBigfoot for example (
something Mark Hunt couldn't do).

Thoughts?
nope_zps9cfa59f3.gif~original

He would still have to worry about body shots. Jones hit DC to the body alot which led to him gassing.

Will be very interesting to finally see USADA Jones fight

He has to get close to strike with Jon, then comes the clinch, then comes the takedown, there goes the gas and there goes the W.

Jones with ring rust is a fighter who can be beaten.
Jones without PEDs a guy who can be beaten.

DC wins via car crash.

Jones with ring rust is a fighter who can be beaten.
Jones without PEDs a guy who can be beaten.

agree with this. DC can win by being a better fighter over the course of 25 minutes than a weight cutting, USADA-tested, ring rusted Jones. it won't be easy; it will be one of his hardest fights ever (along with Jones I and Gus), but he has a very decent opportunity here.

then of course it sets up a grudge match, in which Jones won't be ring rusted and Cormier will be 40. i hope DC wins in July so that we can see this bout too.

DC eats a kick to the knee, a jab and a body shot all before even entering his striking range against Jones.

That's not a good recipe for success.

He needs to have confidence which is something he didn't seem to have in the first fight. He's gotten a lot of wins under his belt now and proved himself. You can tell he was super nervous going into the Jones fight and didn't really have a gameplan or know what to expect. I think things will be much different this time.

DC is susceptible to knees. It's very hard for him against opponents as tall and long as Jones and Gustafsson. I hope he gets it done nevertheless.

agree with this. DC can win by being a better fighter than a weight cutting, USADA-tested, ring rusted Jones. it won't be easy; it will be one of his hardest fights ever (along with Jones I and Gus), but he can and has a very decent opportunity.

then of course it sets up a grudge match, in which Jones won't be ring rusted and Cormier will be 40. i DC wins in July so that we can see this bout too.

It's plausible that DC will retire after that.

It's plausible that DC will retire after that.
retire after going 1-1 against the guy everyone thinks is GOAT, making > 7 figures per fight, and still energetic enough to beat guys half his age?

he could, but i doubt he does.

Jones is simply the better athlete and cage fighter, don't overthink it.

PEDs are not magic fighting pills, they just help you train more.

He would still have to worry about body shots. Jones hit DC to the body alot which led to him gassing.
This cormier CAN'T win unless he can block or catch Jones's constant kicks to the body.

This cormier CAN'T win unless he can block or catch Jones's constant kicks to the body.

Which is an esp. tough task since his vulnerability and difficulty to defend against them has been there for most of his career. Even Mir was landing some heavy ones when Cormier gave him open space.

It hasn't gotten any better since the first Jones fight for that matter. Gus exploited as well and ofc. there's the Anderson Silva kick. Rumble's a head hunter, so not much to speak of there.

Which is an esp. tough task since his vulnerability and difficulty to defend against them has been there for most of his career. Even Mir was landing some heavy ones when Cormier gave him open space.

It hasn't gotten any better since the first Jones fight for that matter. Gus exploited as well and ofc. there's the Anderson Silva kick. Rumble's a head hunter, so not much to speak of there.

longer fighters taking advantage of range is definitely his biggest weakness. the HW's he fought didn't try, and he steamrolled past them all. and as you say, Jones & Gus & AJ all took advantage (though luckily for DC, getting inside on AJ and beating his weaknesses posed little difficulty.)

Jones should win. most believe he's an overall better fighter. but this year, for this bout, it's all about ring rust. if his timing, his energy, his range, his weight cut, or his aggression are off, DC could steal a few rounds. it's not like any of the last 5 were blowouts.

but ya, he needs to not get beat by hanging out in kicking range. my guess is he spends more time moving forward - not bull rushing, but not moving slowly - on Jones and tries to bully the bully.

Did you miss the first fight? Jones beat him standing and on the ground.

Back