If Babalu moved down to 185 would Silva still be MW GOAT?

Babalu's never been a 'great' fighter IMO - slightly better than the marquardt, okami, sonnen level but no real threat to prime anderson, potentially if they crossed paths in the 05 era though, there would be a reasonable possibility of a babalu win, but id favour andy

There's no real overlap with Babalu when he was still good and Anderson getting to the UFC.
Babalu was pretty much done by 2006 so it wouldn't have made any difference.

There's no real overlap with Babalu when he was still good and Anderson getting to the UFC.
Babalu was pretty much done by 2006 so it wouldn't have made any difference.
The loss to Jason Lambert was bad but Babalu was able to rebound quite well in Strikeforce and Affliction. He still would've been a threat. It's a shame he never made the cut. The lowest he ever fought was 195 against Lawler.

So how've you been Babalu? Haven't heard about you in awhile

Seraldo was trying to storm the cage when Werdum besmirched Edmond, some dude was trying to hold the cage door shut for dear life lmao

I like Babalu, but his gameplan against Liddell was one of the worst in the history of MMA.

Seraldo Babalu was one of the greatest light heavyweights of the night but I dunno if he could take on the GOAT MW.

He prob get ko'd pretty bad but could do well on the ground against Andy

Yea, he had such great wrestling and BJJ, but he loved standing and brawling instead.

Silva would have murdered him in under a round. He would have done no better than Irvin.
He's way too big to make 185.
I'm relfloating this two years old thread because I feel like it. Sue me.

Babalu fought at 202 Lbs as a LHW in the UFC at some point. Slim, but not starving himself (There was no reason) and cutting ZERO water. Going down to 185 would've been a walk in the park for him.

Babalu fought many openweight valetudos and Ring matches. I remember him fighting a huge 300+ Russian karateka/wrestler right before being eliminated by the most talented of the Overeem brothers, that went to eliminate Randy next only to lose the King of King Final to Minotauro. He fought Maurice Smith at HW in the UFC too, IIRC. I'm sure he tought that moving down to MW was for sissies.

I'm relfloating this two years old thread because I feel like it. Sue me.

3fjcke498vf11.jpg

Babalu fought at 202 Lbs as a LHW in the UFC at some point. Slim, but not starving himself (There was no reason) and cutting ZERO water. Going down to 185 would've been a walk in the park for him.

Babalu fought many openweight valetudos and Ring matches. I remember him fighting a huge 300+ Russian karateka/wrestler right before being eliminated by the most talented of the Overeem brothers, that went to eliminate Randy next only to lose the King of King Final to Minotauro. He fought Maurice Smith at HW in the UFC too, IIRC. I'm sure he tought that moving down to MW was for sissies.

I agree that Babalu was all that....in the early 00's.

But by the time Silva whooped Franklin, Babalu's time was mostly past. Oh sure he could still beat the Bobby Southworth's of the world. But not A Silva.

Franklin v Babalu in 2005 or 2006 would have been very, very interesting.

In today's MMA, he would have cut down a division after losing to Chuck and shit would have gotten interesting. But that shit just wasn't done by guys who grew up fighting in the 90's (as @Choco rightfully suggests).

Last edited:

He actually fought and beat Lawler at 195 catchweight.

So yeah, MW was very realistic, most probably.

Haha not even

Back