If Babalu moved down to 185 would Silva still be MW GOAT?

If he moved down to MW at the right time how would he have done?

Babalu was like a better version of Weidman IMO.

Strange that he never went to Pride, (or even Pancrase b4), after Rings...

Last edited:
Really enjoyed Babalu as a fighter, but I think a prime Anderson would have been a tough fight for him. More speed and KO power would have made it difficult on Sobral.

People seem to be forgetting the Lutter fight. If an in shape Babalu fought that night he could have had a good chance of beating Silva.

Babalu once was a really skilled fighter and a dangerous opponent, I liked his fights. But prime Silva was way too much for Babalu to handle IMO

People seem to be forgetting the Lutter fight. If an in shape Babalu fought that night he could have had a good chance of beating Silva.
How? By decision? Sobral doesn't KO people. You think he could outstrike, submit, or hold Anderson down in his prime for 5 rounds? Babalu never had it like that. He's arguably a legend he was never champion material. He would have gotten KO'd like the Chuck fight, imo.

Well alright then, who is your choice for MW GOAT?
a tricky choice, since he started his amateur [freestyle] wrestling carreer at 140 lbs, but his boss forced him to get bigger in his pro-wrestling stint, he then fought historically at 177-183 lbs in Pride... He didnt cut weight, was realistically a WW and not a MW, but... he technically fought at MW...

U know the answer, mate...

a tricky choice, since he started his amateur [freestyle] wrestling carreer at 140 lbs, but his boss forced him to get bigger in his pro-wrestling stint, he then fought historically at 177-183 lbs in Pride... He didnt cut weight, was realistically a WW and not a MW, but... he technically fought at MW...

U know the answer, mate...
Pat Miletich?

I always liked Babalu, but him vs Silva would have looked like Babalu vs Gheyguard.

Really enjoyed Babalu as a fighter, but I think a prime Anderson would have been a tough fight for him. More speed and KO power would have made it difficult on Sobral.

I see it potentially going either way, Babalu was definitely vulnerable standing but also clearly a threat on the ground and a much better wrestler than someone like Maia who could threaten with GnP.

Arona would probably have been a worse matchup for Silva I'd say, his whole gameplan was basically doing what Chonan did(minus the sub) to Anderson but better, land lowkicks from range then time takedowns when someone moves in.

Loved me some Babalu, but think he's too sloppy on the feet to compete against Silva. If he could manage take downs before any damage was mounted sure, but Babalu's wrestling wasn't top of it's class. It was ok to decent, but definitely not like Couture/Hughes level for the era. Feel like Anderson would just land too many meaningful shots over time that would slow him down enough to just go in for the finish.

Er, pretty much everyone. Do you disagree with that assessment?
I consider a vacant space that is hopefully filled In the next five years.....i just cant say its anderson with a straight face.
I'd feel like i would be just going through the motions and parroting all thr anderSTAN'S like its 2008 or something....especially with all things considered and certain truths coming to light

If he moved down to MW at the right time how would he have done?

Babalu was like a better version of Weidman IMO.

I don't really get how he is a better version of Weidman. If anything Weidman is Babalu 2.0.

Back