If artem beats Swanson, can we finally agree that records in MMA truly dont mean shit?

king of theRing

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We've seen shitty record guys do well quite a few times in MMA, but this will be the first in a very long time it's been a main event and vs a very talented ranked guy.

If artem wins, will fans finally have to start watching fights and can't just wiki fighters anymore??

Sadly there I only a 10% chance this happens. And really Cubs game plan will be the deciding factor, but it won't be the biggest shocker in the world

Records don't tell you who will win a fight but they are not unimportant

It doesn't matter whether you Wiki him or watch his fights.

Artem is fucking terrible.

My first thought would be Cub must have been injured.

It doesn't matter whether you Wiki him or watch his fights.

Artem is fucking terrible.

Well I wasn't just pertaining to artem. I've seen plenty of shitty record guys beat undefeated record guys and look like killers. However those same guys lose to guys who are lower level and less skilled and look like shit within a couple fights.

It all depends on the matchup in the end

Truth is: Anyone can beat anyone on any given day given different factors.. It's not a science per se, but I'll still give Cub around 80% chance to win..

A lot of records are ''inflated'' thanks to can-crushing anyway, Alvarez for instance is 3-2 in the UFC (which you could argue should've been 1-4...) and like 25-3 before the ufc.

Last edited:
if vegas thinks they mean something then they do

Truth is: Anyone can beat anyone on any given day given different factors.. It's not a science per se, but I'll still give Cub around 80% chance to win..
See 20% is actually very generous. If cub told me he would fight exactly like he did vs do ho Choi, I would give maybe 30 o 40 to artem. But since I know cub is not retarded, I expect him not to and tear him apart keeping distance and using his angles. I'll keep at 20% as well due to I don't know what cub will do

Records mean something, maybe not what most people think they do.

I think context is the key.

Looking at Sakurabas record for example, you'd think who the fuck? But if you look at who he's beat and the factors that played into his losses (size difference) you'd see why he's a saint in the mma game

Last edited:
If Artem wins, it's an upset, not evidence that past performance and fight records don't matter ya goof. The only way to predict future performance is past performance.

If someone wins the lottery twice in a row - does that mean statistics and probability truly don't mean shit?

im just saying. i can find a 10-9 that could beat plenty of 10-0 guys
Well my point is that anything can happen, but that doesn't make probability useless.

Side note: Of course talking about records as pure numbers like 10-0 or 10-9 without looking at the opponents, that is quite useless.
(Going 2-2 against elite contenders is worth more than going 10-0 against amateurs)
But when people say "records matter" they usually don't mean just numbers alone.
They mean the fighter's history.
which opponents they've got on their record etc.

Last edited:
Well my point is that anything can happen, but that doesn't make probability useless.

Side note: Of course talking about records as pure numbers like 10-0 or 10-9 without looking at the opponents, that is quite useless.
(Going 2-2 against elite contenders is worth more than going 10-0 against amateurs)
But when people say "records matter" they usually don't mean just numbers alone.
They mean the fighter's history.
which opponents they've got on their record etc.
Well they do alot of times

Back