If A Fighter Is Given The Benefit Of A Doubt Based On Intent

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Franc Mittelo, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Franc Mittelo

Franc Mittelo Banned Banned

when he commits an eye poke, testicle shot, fence grab and etc. Why shouldn't he be punished when the intention is pretty clear, when he fails in his attempt to commit a foul?

For example, if your intention is to soccer kick an opponent while he is considered grounded, why should you get away with it just because you missed? The fact that you even attempted it should be clearly discourage, because if you succeed to lethal or fatal consequences, then it will be too late to do anything about it for the unfortunate fighter and his family.

It seems to me that the referees either have to throw intention out of the window, and punish fouls based on the fact that they were committed, or, if they are going to factor intention in their judgments, then they should punish a fighter when the intention is clear, regardless of whether or not the fouling fighter was successful with his intention.

The referee and the commission's most important job is fighter safety. So, I think it is a reasonable safety measure to punish fighters at the level of intention. Meaning, a fighter should never be so engrossed in the action that he losses his mind to the point of "I was in the heat of the moment and didn't intend to do that."

That excuse will not fly if your intention leads to a dead or permanently crippled fighter.

Just thoughts.

Kenny Powerth likes this.
  2. Philtard

Philtard Black Belt

How do you prove intent immediately in the middle of the fight. I agree some are blatant and the rules aren't properly enforced. I don't think theyre all judgement calls either.

3. SuperNerd

SuperNerd Off-Season Mode.

[​IMG]

Arm Barbarian likes this.
  4. Yodsanan

Yodsanan K'FESTA.1

The intent is pretty clear when you try to knee someones head off when he's grounded, even if you miss.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Franc Mittelo likes this.
  5. Philtard

Philtard Black Belt

What. Like the Daley koscheck knee?

6. TheRassler

TheRassler ---- L E G E N D A R Y --------- p4p GOAT poster

half of jon jones fights would be a DQ then.

7. Arm Barbarian

Arm Barbarian Steel Belt Platinum Member

Towards his last few fights, refs DID start bringing up the eye-poke stuff with Jon.

Hell, even Bones himself acknowledged he did it. One of the few times I appreciated him actually being honest for a change.

8. SuperNerd

SuperNerd Off-Season Mode.

TS' suggestion and Big John's stance of fingers out would be the same thing. There wouldn't be an automatic disqualification. It would be a warning followed by a infraction.

9. Franc Mittelo

Franc Mittelo Banned Banned

Not necessarily. A referee can give a warning. Then, take away a point, and continue taking away a point for every foul.

To lose by DQ, the opponent has to quit. I don't think half of Jon Jones' opponents would be quitters. Plus, when Jon Jones lost via DQ, he self-corrected with the illegal elbows.

Maybe, if an opponent had quit after an eye poke, he would self-correct, like he previously did.

Fighters are not as stupid as they act after they commit a foul and get away with it. They know it is a part of the game, and the benefits are worth the risks. When that changes, they quickly self-correct.

10. Yodsanan

Yodsanan K'FESTA.1

yes, but that's a bit more complicated because Koschek acted like he got hit. More like the Jeremy Stephens one.

11. Sapp

Sapp Red Belt

I agree. A foul shouldn't have to be crippling to be treated as such. Comes to mind recently where Blaydes threw an incredibly illegal soccer kick to the head of grounded Oleinik, but since it only barely grazed the head it wasn't treated as a foul.

Yodsanan likes this.