Idlib, Home of "Moderate" Syrian Rebels, Now Nearly Under Complete Control of Al-Qaeda

I said pretty secular, relatively.

If you compare Syria under Assad to other countries like SA, Iran, Pakistan etc. you can easily make the claim that the secular process was more developed in Syria. Don't get me wrong, I just tried to explain why so many people, especially many Christians, support Assad.

In my opinion you will never see a secular state with a Muslim majority.
"The state is the Islam and the Islam is the state"

Islam is a political religion and secularity is not possible.
This is fundamental and everything else is wishful thinking.
Thats like saying one shit sandwitch is tastier than another....it was a sectarian totalatarian state like the others u mentioned just a different 'flavour'
I agree with u on islam but it is what it is .....even the formerly cool sultan of brunei (once an all star super baller) has gone uber islam now to fuck his country up

No offense but you sound psychopathic when you say Syria is only important because the media focuses on irt. Umm there has been roughly 500K people killed and millions displaced. I would assume normal people would care about this.

Maybe you could care less because there are Muslims on both side being slaughtered and you enjoy it somehow

Let me guess, alot of people on Sherdog, not all, now want to see Idlib turn into an Aleppo or Mosul because HTS now controls it. Wlll you people be cheering the destruction and slaughter of more Sunni Muslims and cities, because of the fact they are Muslims? You might not be doing the crime, but cheerleading death and destruction is just as worse as a weapon.

Some of you are worse than any AQ or ISIS.

This is human psychology. What's in focus is relevant. If Syria drops off the news tomorrow people will stop caring. Your assumptions about normal people are "nice".

A good example is the comparison of Aleppo vs Mosul. When Aleppo was being bombed by the Russians the western media was up in moral outrage with #prayforlaleppo. However, when Mosul was similarly, if not moreso, damaged there was very little of the same fanfare.

The syrian conflict is an internecine conflict between Muslims. Fighting terrorists like Al Nusra has everything to do with the fact that they are jihadists who would turn Syria into Afghanistan mark 2, rather than the fact that they are muslim.

I accept that war is not fought with kittens and rainbows. And if any city deserves destruction it's Idlib. It's always sad that innocent people die.

Funny then that alochol is legal and headscarves are banned in public institutions including universities.

Separation of church and state is one of the founding principles of their republic and their constitution bans any modification of that.

But they violate it clearly.
It's one of the main critic points regarding the EU negotiations.
They refuse to execute secularism regarding their citizens.

And it's not getting better with AKP and Erdogan.
Many AKP members show openly the will for reforms to transform Turkey to an islamic nation once for all. The current administration doesn't even hide their intentions anymore.

You can find many criticism on secularity regarding Turkey in both right and left media.
A secular Turkey - Unfortunately it's a scam.

Syrian is baath is not the same as Iraqi. They're backed by Iran, who was the enemy of Iraqi baath.
And yet both pretended to be secular democracies
Even when asssad was funneling jihadis into iraq....the same who arr now isis

You are clueless. Revolutions are violent and a race to the bottom. The salafists would have emerged either way. Thankfully you didn't get your way.

SDF is not majority arab. Apply a "but for" test. But for the kurds would the SDF exist? This is a kurdish group with bolt-ons. Pretending that it's an arab group is worse than whougonnacall saying that sunni fighters were integral to the liberation of mosul.

SDF is currently majority Arab in the year 2017.

It's lead by Kurds, but about 60% Arab.

You are clueless. Revolutions are violent and a race to the bottom. The salafists would have emerged either way. Thankfully you didn't get your way.

SDF is not majority arab
. Apply a "but for" test. But for the kurds would the SDF exist? This is a kurdish group with bolt-ons. Pretending that it's an arab group is worse than whougonnacall saying that sunni fighters were integral to the liberation of mosul.

It's not even relevant, who the majority in this coalition is.
Important is just the fact, that it's mixed and this is why it will fall apart like nothing lol.

There are already heavy tensions between these two groups.
An ethnicizing of the conflict between Arabs and Kurds is just a question of time.

This would please Assad.

This is human psychology. What's in focus is relevant. If Syria drops off the news tomorrow people will stop caring. Your assumptions about normal people are "nice".

A good example is the comparison of Aleppo vs Mosul. When Aleppo was being bombed by the Russians the western media was up in moral outrage with #prayforlaleppo. However, when Mosul was similarly, if not moreso, damaged there was very little of the same fanfare.

The syrian conflict is an internecine conflict between Muslims. Fighting terrorists like Al Nusra has everything to do with the fact that they are jihadists who would turn Syria into Afghanistan mark 2, rather than the fact that they are muslim.

I accept that war is not fought with kittens and rainbows. And if any city deserves destruction it's Idlib. It's always sad that innocent people die.

I respect your opinion, but why does Idlib deserve destruction? What kind of evil view is that.

It is like saying Chicago deserves to be destroyed and flatten because of the gang violence plaguing the city.

Many AKP members show openly the will for reforms to transform Turkey to an islamic nation once for all. The current administration doesn't even hide their intentions anymore.

You can find many criticism on secularity regarding Turkey in both right and left media.
Obviously Erdogan's a bit nutty, I'm not going to defend him, but if he actually tried to turn Turkey into a theocracy there'd be riots.

And yet both pretended to be secular democracies
Even when asssad was funneling jihadis into iraq....the same who arr now isis

You make no sense. How would it benefit Syria to "funnel" jihadis into Iraq to fight Iraq's Iranian backed government that also supports them?

Actually the biggest barrier was the control of the military over the civilian government and Erdogan, following the guidelines of the EU for ascension, removed the military from politics. Now the barrier is that Erdogan is authoritarian and trampling over human rights but he's not really doing so in an explicitly Islamic way. He's closer to Putin than any of the theocratic Gulf monarchies.

Can you name one Islamist policy of Erdogan? The main one he was criticized for was for unbanning the hijab in public places but that's not necessarily anti-secular since you probably have more freedom to wear the hijab in the US than you do in Turkey. The secularism that Erdogan and the AKP are against is French style secularism which attempts to cleanse the public sphere of any religious symbolism and to remove any public relevance for religion.

But US secularism is very different and allows for the public relevance of religion and the use of religious symbols publicly so long as its not the state or a person acting directly as a representative of the state doing so. And in Denmark and England they even have state churches which is something that doesn't exist in Turkey.

You make no sense. How would it benefit Syria to "funnel" jihadis into Iraq to fight Iraq's Iranian backed government that also supports them?
I think it was more to make the occupation in Iraq by the US difficult. Remember the US also put Syria and Iran on its axis of evil was beating the war drums at the time so it seems that Syria and Iran wanted to make Iraq as much of a quagmire as possible to dissuade a US invasion in their own countries.

I respect your opinion, but why does Idlib deserve destruction? What kind of evil view is that.

Idlib is run by Al Qaeda. It's the jihadist nexus. It's the most backward and conservative part of Syria. There's nothing evil about wanting to defeat them.

I think it was more to make the occupation in Iraq by the US difficult. Remember the US also put Syria and Iran on its axis of evil was beating the war drums at the time so it seems that Syria and Iran wanted to make Iraq as much of a quagmire as possible to dissuade a US invasion in their own countries.

Axis of evil was actually Iran, Iran and North Korea, unless it was amended later.

Axis of evil was actually Iran, Iran and North Korea, unless it was amended later.
Went to Wiki and it turns out you're right, it was only Iran, Iraq, and North Korea until Syria, Libya, and Cuba were added later
On May 6, 2002, then-Undersecretary of State John R. Bolton gave a speech entitled "Beyond the Axis of Evil". In it he added three more nations to be grouped with the already mentioned rogue states: Cuba, Libya, and Syria. The criteria for inclusion in this grouping were: "state sponsors of terrorism that are pursuing or who have the potential to pursue weapons of mass destruction (WMD) or have the capability to do so in violation of their treaty obligations."

Went to Wiki and it turns out you're right, it was only Iran, Iraq, and North Korea until Syria, Libya, and Cuba were added later

Cuba :rolleyes:. I'd wager the number of deaths caused by American "collateral damage," if you believe that term, is a hundred times higher than anything Cuba could be accused of doing.

Back