Idea's for a strength and conditioning circuit

Mind I am not a pro or have coached. I am experimenting on myself mostly.

Biggest cardio improvement I had with LISS runs - targeted 30 min runs initially... 3 years ago I could not run 800 meters without losing my breath. Now I play amateur soccer and can run 90 mins.

Biggest punching conditioning I earned on the boxing bag - I do boxing as you know. I used the bag to condition my body for tiredness. I will suggest finding Sinisters topic about working on the bag. It is super useful and can guide you how to work the bag and in the same time to condition yourself.

Swimming works fine for boxing type of conditioning. I like doing short swim sprints - for example 4 swings, go out take a breath, 4 swings ... kind of simulates go in 4 punch combo, take a breath, 4 punch combo.

Strenght you obviously do in the gym
Here I got tons of advice from Sano.
The most strenght I gained by following a 3 days per week training A, B, A type
A - squat and bench and B - DL + OHP, add some assistance: like lunges, rows, chin ups, hyperextensions
2 weeks at 80-85 % with 5 reps, 3rd week with 90 % at 3 rep. range. I usually work with 4 sets and 2-3 warm up sets with lower weight.

I am not familiar with cirtcuit type of work unfortunately. I used to do some, but my friends who train in this way are too advanced and I injured myself twice training with them, so I backed off.

But Squat Rack is really all you need in a gym. You can do squats, DL and OHP on them... although OHP on a squat rack in a full gym :) is not adviceable.

Yeah I should probably get back into swimming though too. Can you explain what LISS is exactly? And maybe if you know the name of thread that sinister made, can you link it?

This is going to be long but I broke it up half into strength, and half into conditioning. Overall I would recommend following the SAID Principle (Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands). In a nutshell your body, and skillset will adapt to what you expose it to. I do not recall it being mentioned what style of fight you are preparing for, but in general analyze the planes of motion (sagittal, frontal, transverse) used in that fight, and cater your training to becoming strong in those areas. For example, if you are throwing a punch in order to be able to meet the demands of turning the fist over you may want to use exercises that strengthen the pronation of the forearm (think dumbbell seated pronation). If you are standing in the clinch you may want to use exercises that improve the flexion of the biceps, and elbow joints to have more imposing underhooks (think zercher squats, curls). There are so many exercises that can fit your purpose, body type, and fighting style. Multiple recommendations can be made but look at what movements are most used in your style of fight, and train those movements. That is my recommendation for strength.

As far as conditioning, pick any plyometric or HIIT that displaces your body across space. I've found in my personal experience that bigger multi-joint/compound movements with more body displacement through space tax the cardio system the most. You do not necessarily need a lot of floor area to accomplish these movements either (think burpees, tuck jumps, high knees). They can prepare you for the fatigue that pacing, and adrenaline can bring to a fighter's energy levels. How often is a decisive movement utilized in your style of fighting? Train your body to "explode" in intensity on that time to mimic the output needed for the fight. For example, if a takedown attempt is made every 10 seconds in a period (round) then train to "explode" every 10 seconds in your interval training (think double unders every 10 seconds on a round of jump roping) Any exercises you choose make sure they fit your required planes of movement, and of course are not contraindicated for your situation. In short, train as you fight. Hope this helps.

Thank you this is one of the best in depth explanations on here. And I'm trained in basically all the mma styles (boxing, muay thai, bjj [briefly] but just not in wrestling). So I'm really looking to improve just overall explosiveness, stamina, and power in my punches. Thank you for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Yeah I should probably get back into swimming though too. Can you explain what LISS is exactly? And maybe if you know the name of thread that sinister made, can you link it?

LISS is low intensity slow running. Basically jogging. Target 30 mins initially and grow from there.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/differences-in-bag-work-re-cognitive-aspects.2244103/

I like using the last video for the pressuring drill. You are forced to high volume work which includes lots of movement. This shit burns me out completely in 7 x 2 min rounds. Mind I am not the most conditioned guy out there.

I would advice against going specific training first.

First you build your core - good in long runs, good strenght, good conditioning on the boxing bag. Then you go train specific and get into details to train explosiveness and etc. Because sure developing fast twitch fibers is good, but why do you need to be explosive when you have no strenght behind.

And in before someone comming with 2,5 x BW DL, 2 x BW Squat and 1,5 x BW Bench. These are advanced stuff which you may target in a 2-3 year plan of lifting weight.

Point is take it slow, build with the long term in plan.

My biggest judge is how I look (am I muscular and athletic enough) and how I feel especially in boxing and soccer (do I get tired, am I balanced and does my technique work or I am too tired to think when playing the games - spar or soccer game). I am a thinking guy, especially in soccer I like to outplay people with my brain, not with my physique or technique. And often I can see how the play will go and I can be super influental. But when I am not in physical form I get tired and my brain shuts down. This is when I know I need to work more :p

Thank you this is one of the best in depth explanations on here. And I'm trained in basically all the mma styles (boxing, muay thai, bjj [briefly] but just not in wrestling). So I'm really looking to improve just overall explosiveness, stamina, and power in my punches. Thank you for the suggestions.

Np brother. I hope it all goes well.

LISS is low intensity slow running. Basically jogging. Target 30 mins initially and grow from there.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/differences-in-bag-work-re-cognitive-aspects.2244103/

I like using the last video for the pressuring drill. You are forced to high volume work which includes lots of movement. This shit burns me out completely in 7 x 2 min rounds. Mind I am not the most conditioned guy out there.

I would advice against going specific training first.

First you build your core - good in long runs, good strenght, good conditioning on the boxing bag. Then you go train specific and get into details to train explosiveness and etc. Because sure developing fast twitch fibers is good, but why do you need to be explosive when you have no strenght behind.

And in before someone comming with 2,5 x BW DL, 2 x BW Squat and 1,5 x BW Bench. These are advanced stuff which you may target in a 2-3 year plan of lifting weight.

Point is take it slow, build with the long term in plan.

My biggest judge is how I look (am I muscular and athletic enough) and how I feel especially in boxing and soccer (do I get tired, am I balanced and does my technique work or I am too tired to think when playing the games - spar or soccer game). I am a thinking guy, especially in soccer I like to outplay people with my brain, not with my physique or technique. And often I can see how the play will go and I can be super influental. But when I am not in physical form I get tired and my brain shuts down. This is when I know I need to work more :p

Yeah I feel I already have the foundation for strength because I was following the 5/3/1 program for 2 months. But maybe I should get back into the using those exercises I can definitely do every one of those with just the bar and no plates on it, but I can do a little more with weights on it.

Yeah I feel I already have the foundation for strength because I was following the 5/3/1 program for 2 months. But maybe I should get back into the using those exercises I can definitely do every one of those with just the bar and no plates on it, but I can do a little more with weights on it.

2 months is really nothing, dude. Sure periodization sounds cool and you want to rush things and try different stuff. But trust me it does not work like this.

To get past the newbie gains you must lift for at least 6 months in a beginner program such as 5-3-1. Then you can take a week or two rest and try a more advanced strenght program. After finishing the advanced program for at least 2 cicles you can say "hell yeah I am strong enough. But that is at least 9-10 months of consistent lifting. Then I would say you have the strenght base to experiment with stuff.

I myself have not passed the beginner stage even ones. I either injure myself or work pressures me for consistent 6 months lifting. The heaviest squad for 3 reps has been 100 kg, while the heaviest DL for 3 reps 130 kg and the heaviest bench 70 kg... these numbers are shameful for a 80 + kg person :p

To give you an example with fighters I know:
1) my ex coach who is a pro MMA fighter - squats with 160 for 3 reps, DL is 200 for 3 reps and bench is 120 for 3 reps, His chin ups are with 80 kg additional weight which is freaking fucking impressive. He walks at 80 kg and fights at lower weights. I have seen him working out with 200 kg tires and 80 kg tires feel like puting the school bag in his back.
2) my friend with whom I train boxing, has a good amateur career - the dude is a beast. I have not seen him strenght train but he does 4 sets of squats with 10 reps with 120 kg with a rest of 20-30 seconds in between post boxing work out. I have not seen him DL. His bench is 140 kg for 5 reps :D He snatches 100 kg with an ease. The dude is super athletic and strong and he walks at 75-80 kg.

And these are low level fighters. Not some amazing professionals. Their

2 months is really nothing, dude. Sure periodization sounds cool and you want to rush things and try different stuff. But trust me it does not work like this.

To get past the newbie gains you must lift for at least 6 months in a beginner program such as 5-3-1. Then you can take a week or two rest and try a more advanced strenght program. After finishing the advanced program for at least 2 cicles you can say "hell yeah I am strong enough. But that is at least 9-10 months of consistent lifting. Then I would say you have the strenght base to experiment with stuff.

I myself have not passed the beginner stage even ones. I either injure myself or work pressures me for consistent 6 months lifting. The heaviest squad for 3 reps has been 100 kg, while the heaviest DL for 3 reps 130 kg and the heaviest bench 70 kg... these numbers are shameful for a 80 + kg person :p

To give you an example with fighters I know:
1) my ex coach who is a pro MMA fighter - squats with 160 for 3 reps, DL is 200 for 3 reps and bench is 120 for 3 reps, His chin ups are with 80 kg additional weight which is freaking fucking impressive. He walks at 80 kg and fights at lower weights. I have seen him working out with 200 kg tires and 80 kg tires feel like puting the school bag in his back.
2) my friend with whom I train boxing, has a good amateur career - the dude is a beast. I have not seen him strenght train but he does 4 sets of squats with 10 reps with 120 kg with a rest of 20-30 seconds in between post boxing work out. I have not seen him DL. His bench is 140 kg for 5 reps :D He snatches 100 kg with an ease. The dude is super athletic and strong and he walks at 75-80 kg.

And these are low level fighters. Not some amazing professionals. Their

I've been doing strength training longer then that. I didn't just start working out 2 months ago, it's been 5 years on and off with my strength training that's how I know I have the foundation.

I've been doing strength training longer then that. I didn't just start working out 2 months ago, it's been 5 years on and off with my strength training that's how I know I have the foundation.

Ah that explains a lot, sorry then dude :)

50/20 workout with sandbag shouldering is a good stamina/GPP thing. if you got the hinge down, the movement shouldn't be too difficult.
i did this 50/20 thing a lot: https://sustainableevolution.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/bryce-lane-5020-program/

also the deck of cards can kick your ass. i did it with bw squats, push ups, inverted rows and glute bridges with a sandbag. you do this against the clock, too. choice of exercises is up to you.

best thing i did for pure cardio were hill sprints with a bike. short, intense hills and longer hills. i rode the hills in a standing position.

like i said, look into bas ruttens audio workouts. i did this for years with squat thrusts between rounds and it's really a nice and simple tool especially if you are a martial artist. he also has two audio workouts with jumps squats, jump lunges, mountain climbers etc. which really should give you the exhaustion you are looking for.

stamina has a lot to do with pain tolerance. liss is absolutely fine and you should do liss workouts but it doesn't teach you much about the limits.

watch your recovery and have fun...

You said this right?

If you are squatting and benching just a little over 20kg, you don't really have a foundation of strength.

You said this right?

If you are squatting and benching just a little over 20kg, you don't really have a foundation of strength.

My max squat is 110 lbs, my max bench press is 155 lbs. When did i say i was squatting or just bench pressing the bar?

50/20 workout with sandbag shouldering is a good stamina/GPP thing. if you got the hinge down, the movement shouldn't be too difficult.
i did this 50/20 thing a lot: https://sustainableevolution.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/bryce-lane-5020-program/

also the deck of cards can kick your ass. i did it with bw squats, push ups, inverted rows and glute bridges with a sandbag. you do this against the clock, too. choice of exercises is up to you.

best thing i did for pure cardio were hill sprints with a bike. short, intense hills and longer hills. i rode the hills in a standing position.

like i said, look into bas ruttens audio workouts. i did this for years with squat thrusts between rounds and it's really a nice and simple tool especially if you are a martial artist. he also has two audio workouts with jumps squats, jump lunges, mountain climbers etc. which really should give you the exhaustion you are looking for.

stamina has a lot to do with pain tolerance. liss is absolutely fine and you should do liss workouts but it doesn't teach you much about the limits.

watch your recovery and have fun...

Yeah i've made some progress with my running. I should probably get back into biking too. It was a great workout when i was doing it.

Hold up i got to review this whole thread because i can't remember what was said and what i responded too exactly.

You said this right?

Oh you misinterpretted what i said, whenever i post in a forum thats not the stand up forum, i clearly have to be more clear on everything, i was saying that i can definitely do the bar and i can do more weight on it (because benchpress i can put 1 45 lb on each side, and put 1 10 lb plate on each side.) I was saying that the bar is easy.

Sorry whenever i make a thread i usually get preoccupied doing something (wether it's just strength training or just work [which i don't really have a job now].)

Next time just ask before assuming a lot of the times i drained or just working out or something. I mis type shit.

My max squat is 110 lbs, my max bench press is 155 lbs. When did i say i was squatting or just bench pressing the bar?

Well, those are better but still low, especially if you have been doing it for 5 years. I think most people would still say that you don't have a base of strength.

Well, those are better but still low, especially if you have been doing it for 5 years. I think most people would still say that you don't have a base of strength.

I have been harsh lately so let me.continue. My ex squats with more for 10 reps and she is 55 kg.

Newbie levels are really squatting your body weight at least 5 times. Bench little less than that and DL little more than that.

Strenght training adds significant advantage in fighting. You can bully people with pure strenght if you learn to clinch and push. Take a look at Andre Ward the boxer for example. He is a very high IQ fighter and uses that left hand and his strenght to bully other boxers.

Pretty sure strenght can make significant difference in MT, wrestling and MMA due to more grapling and clinching imvolved.

Imo anyone serious about fighting should work for at least 3-5 reps on 1.5 body weight squat, 2 x body weight DL and body weight Bench. These are realistic goals for about 2 years of Strenght Training no matter how bussy your schedule is.

Yeah it was on and off, i stopped weightlifting for a year once because i decided to just focus on the muay thai, now i got back into it but i'm not trying to be no strongman competitor.

I have been harsh lately so let me.continue. My ex squats with more for 10 reps and she is 55 kg.

Newbie levels are really squatting your body weight at least 5 times. Bench little less than that and DL little more than that.

Strenght training adds significant advantage in fighting. You can bully people with pure strenght if you learn to clinch and push. Take a look at Andre Ward the boxer for example. He is a very high IQ fighter and uses that left hand and his strenght to bully other boxers.

Pretty sure strenght can make significant difference in MT, wrestling and MMA due to more grapling and clinching imvolved.

Imo anyone serious about fighting should work for at least 3-5 reps on 1.5 body weight squat, 2 x body weight DL and body weight Bench. These are realistic goals for about 2 years of Strenght Training no matter how bussy your schedule is.

Looks like i got to work up to squatting my bodyweight because right now i can only bench my bodyweight.

Squat and DL too mate. These movements help a ton for developing explosive power later.

What has.worked for me well is also weighted lunges as they work very well for balance. One leg DLs have been also recommended for the same purpose but I have not yet.imcorporated them in a program.

Back