Idea's for a strength and conditioning circuit

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I want to get my strength and conditioning up for both of I ever get a fight this year and if i get to go into the military next year, while also increasing stamina and explosiveness. So I want to do kind of a circuit because that's what my boy had me doing, he's suppose to be training me for a while. But he's handling some bussiness in cali. So idea's for circuit training inside a small weight room in the gym (obviously not a small room in the shape of a box but it is the YMCA so it's not the best weight room in the world.) Please no comments about military training I know what I got to do and I decided not to post threads about future opportunities because all I do is get troll accusation comments and I don't get why sometimes and it just seems like they have nothing better to do sometimes. I only respond to them just to pass the time whenever I'm at work or just waiting for a light to turn green while driving.

So idea's for a circuit, and keep in mind that the gym does not have sleds, or tires or sledge hammers, they do have medicine balls and one of those big medicine balls too the ones that are like boulders. They kettlebells, resistance bands, cable machines, pull up bars, barbells (obviously) and dumbbells. And my boy gave me weighted fingerless gloves (not mma gloves). They have boxes to jump on. But theirs barely any room most of the time. They have smith machines, and squat racks.

So any explosive exercises and conditioning exercises to mix together please let me know any. I know some exercises shouldn't be mixed together. So let me know the do's and the don'ts.

i think funk roberts on youtube has workouts which hit your description.
only use exercises for endurance/stamina workouts if you really know how to do them safely.

maybe you should also read the faq and get an overview about different training methods for strength, endurance, speed work etc.

Do they have rowing machines or assault bikes?

i think funk roberts on youtube has workouts which hit your description.
only use exercises for endurance/stamina workouts if you really know how to do them safely.

maybe you should also read the faq and get an overview about different training methods for strength, endurance, speed work etc.

Yeah I read the facts last year but I don't seem to remember if they said which exercises shouldn't be mixed.

Yeah I read the facts last year but I don't seem to remember if they said which exercises shouldn't be mixed.

just don't do deadlifts, cleans, snatches etc. for time if you don't really got the technique down and know when to quit.

i would do strength work via a sound lifting routine and endurance circuits on seperate days imo

for ma oriented circuit work i can recommend stuff like the bas rutten workouts or the good old deck of cards routine. stuff like that.

also google for some apps who generate crossfitish workouts with bwe or kettlebells/dumbbells/slam balls. you should find a ton.

Doing circuits will make you better conditioned for circuits! One of the most overrated and frankly counter productive ways to improve for anything else

Doing circuits will make you better conditioned for circuits! One of the most overrated and frankly counter productive ways to improve for anything else

Really even to improve stamina to eventually train and fight this year?

Yes. It's kinda like multitasking. You might think you're doing many things in one but in actuality you're just doing everything poorly.
Most strength and conditioning programs will he divided into phases. Depending on how far out from competition or what you need to improve on most will dictate how you should train in each phase.
If you're trying to build endurance I would focus on building an aerobic base. That would involve a lot of slow steady state work. I would recommend investing in a heart rate monitor. Look to keep your heart rate near 160-170 for prolonged period of time (45-60 mins)
Running is the simplest way, however anything that can get your heart rate around that zone can work. Bike, jumprope, even walking on an incline works well. You can combine these too but the idea is for you to stay in that zone. Control your breathing and if necessary tone down the pace if your hr gets out of the zone. More is not better here.

Yes. It's kinda like multitasking. You might think you're doing many things in one but in actuality you're just doing everything poorly.
Most strength and conditioning programs will he divided into phases. Depending on how far out from competition or what you need to improve on most will dictate how you should train in each phase.
If you're trying to build endurance I would focus on building an aerobic base. That would involve a lot of slow steady state work. I would recommend investing in a heart rate monitor. Look to keep your heart rate near 160-170 for prolonged period of time (45-60 mins)
Running is the simplest way, however anything that can get your heart rate around that zone can work. Bike, jumprope, even walking on an incline works well. You can combine these too but the idea is for you to stay in that zone. Control your breathing and if necessary tone down the pace if your hr gets out of the zone. More is not better here.

Well, I've never heard of circuit training not helping though. But does it matter the exercises you use and put together?

Well, I've never heard of circuit training not helping though. But does it matter the exercises you use and put together?

The post right above me I was about to like, the top half I agreed with. He was saying to divide up strength days and conditioning days. If you are trying to get strong you are using different energy systems than when building up stamina. That's why focusing on them at the same time will hold you back from getting better at the other.
If you are looking to take my advice of building an areobic base it's lirlitera anything you can do for prolonged period of time at that heart rate. Also those numbers are just examples, depending on your level of fitness you may even want to stay closer to 150s
Doing something like sprinting or swinging kettlebell will jack your hr up higher than you want plus you wouldn't be able to keep it up for 45-60 mins
I'd suggest running, jump rope or incline walking bc you can decide the pace. Ultimately the pace will be decided based off where your hr gets to

Jumping jacks can be another good exercise for building an areobic base too

you should just join a mma gym if you want to fight.
do the classes and the sparring and everything else will fall into place.
gym days, strength days, endurance days...

This is going to be long but I broke it up half into strength, and half into conditioning. Overall I would recommend following the SAID Principle (Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands). In a nutshell your body, and skillset will adapt to what you expose it to. I do not recall it being mentioned what style of fight you are preparing for, but in general analyze the planes of motion (sagittal, frontal, transverse) used in that fight, and cater your training to becoming strong in those areas. For example, if you are throwing a punch in order to be able to meet the demands of turning the fist over you may want to use exercises that strengthen the pronation of the forearm (think dumbbell seated pronation). If you are standing in the clinch you may want to use exercises that improve the flexion of the biceps, and elbow joints to have more imposing underhooks (think zercher squats, curls). There are so many exercises that can fit your purpose, body type, and fighting style. Multiple recommendations can be made but look at what movements are most used in your style of fight, and train those movements. That is my recommendation for strength.

As far as conditioning, pick any plyometric or HIIT that displaces your body across space. I've found in my personal experience that bigger multi-joint/compound movements with more body displacement through space tax the cardio system the most. You do not necessarily need a lot of floor area to accomplish these movements either (think burpees, tuck jumps, high knees). They can prepare you for the fatigue that pacing, and adrenaline can bring to a fighter's energy levels. How often is a decisive movement utilized in your style of fighting? Train your body to "explode" in intensity on that time to mimic the output needed for the fight. For example, if a takedown attempt is made every 10 seconds in a period (round) then train to "explode" every 10 seconds in your interval training (think double unders every 10 seconds on a round of jump roping) Any exercises you choose make sure they fit your required planes of movement, and of course are not contraindicated for your situation. In short, train as you fight. Hope this helps.

Mind I am not a pro or have coached. I am experimenting on myself mostly.

Biggest cardio improvement I had with LISS runs - targeted 30 min runs initially... 3 years ago I could not run 800 meters without losing my breath. Now I play amateur soccer and can run 90 mins.

Biggest punching conditioning I earned on the boxing bag - I do boxing as you know. I used the bag to condition my body for tiredness. I will suggest finding Sinisters topic about working on the bag. It is super useful and can guide you how to work the bag and in the same time to condition yourself.

Swimming works fine for boxing type of conditioning. I like doing short swim sprints - for example 4 swings, go out take a breath, 4 swings ... kind of simulates go in 4 punch combo, take a breath, 4 punch combo.

Strenght you obviously do in the gym
Here I got tons of advice from Sano.
The most strenght I gained by following a 3 days per week training A, B, A type
A - squat and bench and B - DL + OHP, add some assistance: like lunges, rows, chin ups, hyperextensions
2 weeks at 80-85 % with 5 reps, 3rd week with 90 % at 3 rep. range. I usually work with 4 sets and 2-3 warm up sets with lower weight.

I am not familiar with cirtcuit type of work unfortunately. I used to do some, but my friends who train in this way are too advanced and I injured myself twice training with them, so I backed off.

But Squat Rack is really all you need in a gym. You can do squats, DL and OHP on them... although OHP on a squat rack in a full gym :) is not adviceable.

Attachments

• never-half-ass-two-things-whole-ass-one-thing.jpg
    never-half-ass-two-things-whole-ass-one-thing.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
Here’s a great routine.
Run 30-60 minutes with heart rate 130-150 bpm

1-2 compound exercises for 3-4 sets.
Bench, squats, deadlift, pullups, rows, dips, pushups, overhead press
Pick two lifts and call it a day
(This is here solely to maintain strength)

Running can be replacing with jump rope, swimming, biking, aerodyne, Jacobs ladder, etc.

Do this 2-3 times a week for 4-6 weeks

Last edited:
Here’s a great routine.
Run 30-60 minutes with heart rate 130-150 bpm

1-2 compound exercises for 3-4 sets.
Bench, squats, deadlift, pullups, rows, dips, pushups, overhead press
Pick two lifts and call it a day
(This is here solely to maintain strength)

Running can be replacing with jump rope, swimming, biking, aerodyne, Jacobs ladder, etc.

Do this 2-3 times a week for 4-6 weeks

I don't know why I didn't get a notification that you replied but thank you for the suggestion, I'm already running, and making some progress. I've been just mixing up exercises in a circuit, but I will definitely try this sometime.

Everybody who responded to the thread sorry, I did not get a notification, I don't know why, I really don't want people to think that I'm not taking anyone's advice. I'm trying to read through everybodies post.

Back