Ice cold showers after workouts

AminoAcid

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Do they really help reduce inflammation? I have been taking cold showers after my training sessions and I have noticed it has helped my joints and muscles recover better, but I am not sure if this is truly the case or if it is simply a placebo.

Does anybody else do the same?

Unless you are doing something horribly wrong, there is no good reason for you to want to "reduce inflammation" from a workout.

That said, cold showers probably don't have a significant effect on reducing inflammation. If they make you feel good, you might as well go ahead with it.

More than taking a table spoon of liquid fish oil a day? Doubtful.

Mixing up max heat with max cold in the shower will certainly “numb” you pretty quickly, which can help relax some people, particularly if you are feeling tight/stiff/sore.

Dr Ronda Patrick claims heat shock proteins from sauna use will reduce inflammation (as well as enhance recovery etc). Doubt the shower could stimulate such hormonal responses but you could try.

Dont all the pro athletes in the major 4 or 5 team sports take ice baths after the game?

Unless you are doing something horribly wrong, there is no good reason for you to want to "reduce inflammation" from a workout.

That said, cold showers probably don't have a significant effect on reducing inflammation. If they make you feel good, you might as well go ahead with it.

You get tons of bits and bruises and sore spots from wrestling and grappling though. Don't cold showers help with that?

Take cold showers every day, whether you workout or not and see if you notice a difference.

It's for more than just inflammation.

You get tons of bits and bruises and sore spots from wrestling and grappling though. Don't cold showers help with that?
Cold showers helping with bruises? Doubtful that they'd have a significant effect.

But again, if you feel they help you, go ahead.

Dont all the pro athletes in the major 4 or 5 team sports take ice baths after the game?
Source?

Cold showers helping with bruises? Doubtful that they'd have a significant effect.

But again, if you feel they help you, go ahead.

Source?

This is just two examples. I dont know how prevalent, but I do know some do this.

What other benefits does it provide?

Provides an energy boost; good for your skin; helps with sleep; improved mood, etc..

Google it.

I do it five minutes daily. I don't limit it to workouts.

This is just two examples. I dont know how prevalent, but I do know some do this.

That's two videos of two teams doing it.

You said "all the pro athletes in the major 4 or 5 team sports".

But its the athletic trainers, coaches, admin that make them do it I believe.

The main athletic therapist who came up with the idea of icing everything admitted later, based on research, he changed his viewpoint and now only uses it in acute injuries vs constant use for every nagging bump or recovery.

In my experience in the training room and rehab, I wouldn't even bother to use it on sprained ankles etc very often. Knee replacement? Abso fucking lutely.
Grade 1-2 ankle sprain? Not often, not unless I wanted to use it as an intermittent pain modulator...Ice is over used and over prescribed. The body needs its inflammatory response and blood flow as well as movement in pain free ROM. This will help prevent proprioception loss, fear, and lack of range (transiently).

The main athletic therapist who came up with the idea of icing everything admitted later, based on research, he changed his viewpoint and now only uses it in acute injuries vs constant use for every nagging bump or recovery.

In my experience in the training room and rehab, I wouldn't even bother to use it on sprained ankles etc very often. Knee replacement? Abso fucking lutely.
Grade 1-2 ankle sprain? Not often, not unless I wanted to use it as an intermittent pain modulator...Ice is over used and over prescribed. The body needs its inflammatory response and blood flow as well as movement in pain free ROM. This will help prevent proprioception loss, fear, and lack of range (transiently).

That sounds intredasting, how does ice or cold cause proprioception loss?

Back