Iaquinta Shuts Down Dopey UFC Fans Who Snickered At Khabib’s Striking

and not even that,IMO worse. I would expect some fire/passionin a guy who fights so rarely. Risk it, put it out there, go for it. Like in those older Pride or K1 fights, out of the pen swinging Vitor, Wand style. He cant really do much worse than lose,which seemed inevitable.

Yet he coasted through the whole fight and did nothing but react... why even fight then.

From how he looked he honestly would not have even beat Felder that night, his original opponent.

I'm shocked at the level of praise he's been getting. How he's looked in the past, and against someone like Diego lol, shouldn't be be overshadowing how he's presently looking. He looked very bad in the striking. A lot of his punches were literally being thrown with the palm and not the knuckles.

I don't know much about anything but can't believe Iaquinta's stand up strategy was to get his face look like mashed tomatoes
but obviously kalabib's stand up sucks, rogan must be right

Nobody thinks K1 Khabib is going to be outboxing Mayweather anytime soon, but he used his striking very well in the fight. End of.

As I said in another post, a big reason good strikers have problems landing on Khabib is because of the threat of takedown.

So you're conceding that his defense is effective.

As for him losing if he weren't a good striker, that's simply absurd. As pointed out, most of his fights have taken place on the ground. His ability to get the fight to the mat is as good as any striker's ability to KO someone. That coupled with good submission defense allows him to not worry about striking. His fights simply don't take place on the feet long enough to gauge any real striking ability

Dude, you're making out like he spends 99% of the time on the ground in his fights. He's stood for extended periods with strikers. He spent nearly the entire third round standing with Barboza, and Barboza couldn't land shit on him. And don't tell me that Barboza wasn't dangerous because of the threat of the takedown. Lee beat him up worse than Khabib did on the ground, and we saw how dangerous he still was in the third round of that fight.

If he were totally incompetent at striking defense like you're making out, he would have been caught by now. It doesn't take 15 minutes for that to happen. It only takes an instant. Look at Corey Anderson vs. OSP. Anderson grapplefucked OSP for nearly the entire fight, then the one time that OSP got separation, he KTFO Anderson. That's what incompetent defense looks like.

Khabib is the 2.0 version of Maia and Shields. His specialty is so great that he can get away with having poor striking

It's obviously the weakest part of his game, but it's effective.

As much as a love Al for putting the Dim Mak on the TV show guys it was fear of the hump that caused the striking to be that way .

"Numbers" only tell a part of the story. Chael out struck Andy by a million miles, in both fights...and we know who won both.
Anderson Silva has 61% striking accuracy with 62% striking defense. Chael Sonnen is 44% striking accuracy with 63% striking defense.

I think the numbers tell a better story than personal opinions based on "he looks better, so he must be better."

You know how it is goes, Sherdog keyboard warriors know more than the fighters themselves.
Well while fighters are spending all that time in camps, we're on the couch STUDYING these fights, so it makes sense.....

Well while fighters are spending all that time in camps, we're on the couch STUDYING these fights, so it makes sense.....

Ya, im sure they don’t have anyone doing that for them either. We should all defer to the judgement and opinions of the keyboard warriors here on the Dawg.

OK.....

We have a real contender for the absolute dumbest fucking thing anyone's seen all year....

Khabib is not a kickboxer or a boxer. He will never take a kickboxing or boxing match

So who gives a shit if his striking only works with the threat of the takedown? It's not like that is going away

As long as people are scared he will take them down his striking will always be effective. And people will always be scared he's going to take them down because there is no one in MMA who wants to be taken down by Khabib at 155
Because the average shertard member or casual fans these days (which is like 90% of the community) can't understand simple things like that. Asking them to take all those factors into thought is pointless.

Al wasn't prepared, he wasn't able to study Khabib's style.

Al was tired from getting taken down and beat up on by the time Khabib decided to strike.

Al was weary of another takedown and wasn't fully committing to his standup as Khabib would likely shoot in if Al came forward with a combo.

Khabib was working a good jab that kept Al on the outside without over-committing to strikes that would put him in big danger if Al countered them.

It's all there, clear to see. I guess that's only clear for people intelligent enough to see it, which doesn't seem to be many...

No one willing to give Khabib props either, as all they could probably hear was Rogan screaming about Khabib having his chin up, and how Conor fans are salivating at the fact that Conor will easily KO him.

Trust me, Conor won't make it to the 3rd round with Khabib. Conor won't have the gas tank for a powerful KO shot or to stop another takedown after the first round. His arms will be like noodles, his power will be gone. His speed will be gone. He'll give up like he did vs Diaz.

Kevin Lee and Tony Ferguson are Khabibs hardest tests. Conor is an easy win if he doesn't stand in front of him like some dipshit.

Awkward striking =/= bad striking, especially when it was as effective as it was against Al.

Think same with Fedor, peoples called him untechnical anscomposed, yet as long he was in his prime (fast/explosive) he outstruck all his opponents and most of them did'nt landed a single decent punch on him lol

he lit him up, he did look awkward, we don't know if he's bad. If he is, he'll be exposed for it one day.. Props to al though. it was a no-win situation for him and he still came out a winner in my books.

Yet, some sherdogger will come on this post and say Al is wrong..
Als lying. He didn’t try combinations. He didn’t close the distance as khabib backpedaled with his chin up. Al laid an egg and this is his excuse. Every time a fighter loses they embellish their opponent to soften the blow.

as others have mentioned, the threat of the takedown makes his jab, and other strikes more effective. He doesn't need to have perfect striking technique. I like it because everyone is saying these "new breed" mma fighters are coming that are good at everything. Khabib is amazingly good at grappling and ok at striking. There is something to be said about being mainly good at one style over all others. Plenty of fighters are still successful being mainly good at either striking or grappling. You need to be great at something, have some type of bread and butter, and not just good at a bunch of styles I think to be successful.

Those numbers are misleading. The reason Khabib never gets hit much is because the fight usually takes place on the ground with him on top.
Khabib barely gets hit even during prolonged stand up exchanges. He just has good defense.

Khabib's striking sucks lol
2a8f12654a1249e7528c3e1c1aa9ff20.jpg

Al disagrees

Khabib jab the shit out of Al but Rogan was retarded like always and now people think Khabib's stirking is bad. It is not perfect but it is not such low level like Rogan sold it.

OK.....

We have a real contender for the absolute dumbest fucking thing anyone's seen all year....

What, you think a little "pro training" beats all the years of collective observing SD has been doing??

Get serious, bud. We can beat these fighters!

Back