Ian Mccall Cut. What do you think? *Pics and Vids

D0GMeAT

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Not sure how many watched Ian Mccall vs Manel Kape on the RIZIN NYE show, but Kape won via TKO by a nasty cut.

Ian-McCall-1-324x160.jpg

Ian Mccall has since gone on twitter to claim that the cut was the freak show result of his face rubbing on the ropes.

He has even gone to say that he will add contract stipulations to avoid getting cut by the ropes again.

The pre-fight build up between these two was quite intense, and there is clearly no love lost between these two. They even came to blows during the weigh ins (in front of a giant cup of ramen, LOL Japan).

But after watching the fight, it looked to me as if he was cut by a knee thrown by Manel Kape.
So, what do you guys think? Is this a freak show, head-rubbing-on-the-ropes, style cut? Or is this the case of denial from a fighter who does not want to accept a loss from another fighter he despises?

BYmOqF5.gif

Posted in another topic but...

I think we can eliminate a lot of the theories.

We can conclusively determine it wasn't caused by the forearm/elbow from before the ropes, because the cut wasin't there after they occurred.
giphy.gif

We can conclusively determine it wasin't caused by the knee, because it never hit that area.
giphy.gif

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 1.10.16 AM.png

We can conclusively determine it wasn't caused by the headbutt, because the cut shows open before it occurs.
giphy.gif

And while we can't see the ropes physically cutting the skin, we can see McCall's head rubbing straight across the ropes at the exact point and trajectory the cut occurred.

giphy.gif

Posted in another topic but...

I think we can eliminate a lot of the theories.

We can conclusively determine it wasn't caused by the forearm/elbow from before the ropes, because the cut wasin't there after they occurred.
giphy.gif

We can conclusively determine it wasin't caused by the knee, because it never hit that area.
giphy.gif

View attachment 320207

We can conclusively determine it wasn't caused by the headbutt, because the cut shows open before it occurs.
giphy.gif

And while we can't see the ropes physically cutting the skin, we can see McCall's head rubbing straight across the ropes at the exact point and trajectory the cut occurred.

giphy.gif
mickey-detective.gif

Good detective work. Thank you

I thought it was the rope when I saw it live (on replay). Props to Trigg on this (and only this).

McCall was losing IMO. And it looked like it wasn't going his way.

I would like to see a rematch though.

MMA in a ring with ropes is damn idiotic I don't know why it has so many apologist

But after watching the fight, it looked to me as if he was cut by a knee thrown by Manel Kape.
i think it was the knee too. it does look like the knee hits him in the spot of the cut, and i think it's much more likely that the knee cut him than the ropes. maybe the rope opened the cut more when his forehead dragged along it though.

Heh, I didn’t know that Japan didn’t let fighters put Vaseline on their faces. I guess it was obvious now that I actually think about it but I wonder why. They are so sensitive about cuts sometimes that you would figure they would try to prevent them.

i think it was the knee too. it does look like the knee hits him in the spot of the cut, and i think it's much more likely that the knee cut him than the ropes. maybe the rope opened the cut more when his forehead dragged along it though.

Look at post #3 in this thread. Looks like the knee lands on the chin/cheek

"I was about to smash."

Yeah. Ok Ian. Looked like you were about to get your TD stuffed and get worked on the feet some more.

@JkMMA

People was falling out of the ring since pride míster old school

Last edited:
Look at post #3 in this thread. Looks like the knee lands on the chin/cheek
yeah, that's not what i see. i see the knee landing above the eyebrow, like in this frame of one of the gifs:
15hob5w.jpg

the knee has already landed at that point, but it was behind mccall's arm at that point so you can't really see it, but although mccall's head has already been brought up by the knee it looks the contact was above the eyebrow to me. the still image under the gif in post 3 looks like it's from well after the knee connected and mccall's head has come up higher, and turned to the right (back... and to the left...).

this gif from the ref cam also looks like the knee lands above the eyebrow to me:
2ljtduq.gif

in one of the replays it even looks to me like when mccall's face drags along the rope it's contacting the rope under the eyebrow:
261koee.gif

you can see his elbow pulling the rope toward him, and when his face hits it and his head bends back (... and to the left...) it looks like his face is hitting the rope below the eyebrow to me. but maybe with the way his face is turning it's above the eyebrow, i don't know.

this shouldn't be the new zapruder film, and ultimately it doesn't deserve this level of scrutiny, but i'm seeing the knee land above the eyebrow. i understand that i'm in the minority though.

People was falling out of the ring since pride míster old school
Get use to it? Rizin without a ring with ropes is shit. Would still watch it if it's on cage but still...

In pride they used vasaline

"I was about to smash."

Yeah. Ok Ian. Looked like you were about to get your TD stuffed and get worked on the feet some more.
If the fight wasnt stopped he prolly would have. Kape put everything into that choke. His arms were done.

It's Japan. Rematch in a barbed wire exploding double hell swimming pool with piranhas and sharks death match..

Terry funk as guest ref...

Back