I worked for a computer support company that defrauded people out of thousands of dollars - AMA

I'll PM you.

Kind of hard to describe, but it's a bit action-y and that's what really jacks up the price. Certain vehicles would have to be secured, costumes, prop guns, locations, etc.

I also would like to have an experienced cinematographer and sound guy on board, so the cost would also depend on whether or not I could get someone to help out just because they want the credit.

I'd need a few thousand I imagine, though.
I'll keep an I on my inbox.

Action movies do tend to be expensive. Especially if you're gonna blow shit up.

I would be awesome if you made an adaption of one of @Slobodan 's stories about his adventures with Nic Cage. Shit would be hilarious. I wonder if you could get Nic on board.

I'll keep an I on my inbox.

Action movies do tend to be expensive. Especially if you're gonna blow shit up.

I'll send it in just a minute.

And I was mindful enough to try not to make the action too crazy. I didn't want to include anything that couldn't be executed on a reasonable budget.

I would be awesome if you made an adaption of one of @Slobodan 's stories about his adventures with Nic Cage. Shit would be hilarious. I wonder if you could get Nic on board.

Directing Nicolas Cage is truly one of the dreams. . .

Not the company I worked for, and I don't think most companies are looking for anything like that.

Usually what they'll do is connect to the computer and then start pointing out things that appear to be problems.

For instance, they'll run the NETSTAT command and it will list a bunch of IP addresses and they'll say, "You see all these foreign IP addresses? These are hackers that are in your computer!" Or they'll open up the Windows services and say, "You see all these services that are turned off? Your Windows installation is corrupted!"

And then once they have the customer scared enough they'll pitch them on some kind of support package and try to make a sale.
oh yeah he asked her to send him a check for some malware LOL. and she was like wtf a check? why?

oh yeah he asked her to send him a check for some malware LOL. and she was like wtf a check? why?

That's weird. We happily accepted credit and debit cards, but I have heard stories of companies asking for weird shit like Amazon gift cards. Those must be the REALLY shady operations.

That's weird. We happily accepted credit and debit cards, but I have heard stories of companies asking for weird shit like Amazon gift cards. Those must be the REALLY shady operations.
heres my question:
how much did you get paid

I have an associates degree in computer network engineering, but I never really worked in the networking field. I got into the industry and realized I didn't have any real interest or passion in it, so I never worked hard to advance.

I've since gone back to school to pursue a film degree.

I make survival wages doing freelance computer support through this website while I work to get a career in the film/video industry off the ground.

That's hilarious. Ironically, a lot of the computer work I do now through that website I mentioned consists of warning old people about the scams that are out there, and educating the ones who have actually fallen for the shit on how to get their money back.
Very cool, wish you all the best dude. I know you're a big movie dude, I always see your movie threads, and obviously know your love for Van Damme and Ninja movies. Tough business to crack I'm assuming but sounds like you have a great passion for it, so go forth and kick ass

Jean-Claude-Van-Damme-Fist-Pump.gif

giphy.gif

Very cool, wish you all the best dude. I know you're a big movie dude, I always see your movie threads, and obviously know your love for Van Damme and Ninja movies. Tough business to crack I'm assuming but sounds like you have a great passion for it, so go forth and kick ass

Jean-Claude-Van-Damme-Fist-Pump.gif

giphy.gif

Thanks, I appreciate it! And awesome gifs.

Damn shame I'll never get to make a movie with Van Damme in his prime. Maybe I can get him before he retires, though.

And I hope to one day make a ninja movie that pays homage to all the ninja movies I grew up loving.

TS check out the podcast reply all, episode called long distance about this very thing.

So how did you and this company come to part ways?

So how did you and this company come to part ways?

There was a period where there had been several pay periods where we didn't get paid on time. We were getting paid, but the checks were two, three, four days late. When that started, it was obvious we were looking at the beginning of the end.

Then in December 2015, about a week before Christmas, they laid everyone in the US office off. And, in fact, the owner tried to not pay us but the office manager went behind his back and wrote everyone a check anyway (which thankfully cleared).

And that was the end of that. The whole thing was a gong show.

There was a period where there had been several pay periods where we didn't get paid on time. We were getting paid, but the checks were two, three, four days late. When that started, it was obvious we were looking at the beginning of the end.

Then in December 2015, about a week before Christmas, they laid everyone in the US office off. And, in fact, the owner tried to not pay us but the office manager went behind his back and wrote everyone a check anyway (which thankfully cleared).

And that was the end of that. The whole thing was a gong show.

Fucking pathetic. People should drink hemlock if their only other option is to start a company like this.

Fucking pathetic. People should drink hemlock if their only other option is to start a company like this.

They kept selling it to us as this exciting start-up and big things were on the horizon and we're getting in on the ground level and will grow with the company, etc. The owner was wanting to expand into all kinds of other areas, like business-to-business support and cloud storage.

We never got that far. And I actually found out later that he had several lawsuits against him.

They kept selling it to us as this exciting start-up and big things were on the horizon and we're getting in on the ground level and will grow with the company, etc. The owner was wanting to expand into all kinds of other areas, like business-to-business support and cloud storage.

We never got that far. And I actually found out later that he had several lawsuits against him.

Any stock options in case you run out of toilet paper?

Any stock options in case you run out of toilet paper?

Ha.

I wonder what he's up to these days. The website for the company is down, so I have to assume they're gone. But he strikes me as the kind of guy who would just start over under a different business name and do the whole thing over again.

Ha.

I wonder what he's up to these days. The website for the company is down, so I have to assume they're gone. But he strikes me as the kind of guy who would just start over under a different business name and do the whole thing over again.

Some of these guys seem to have more corporate lives than a cat on Groundhog Day.

Ha.

I've seen guys who were CEOs of companies that had their stock trading halted on the exchange for failing to submit earnings reports (so they could liquidate their own stock before the underperforming reports came out and lowered the price) back on the exchange as CEO of other publicly traded companies within a year or two. When that should be some Lance Armstrong gone-for-life shit.

I've seen guys who were CEOs of companies that had their stock trading halted on the exchange for failing to submit earnings reports (so they could liquidate their own stock before the underperforming reports came out and lowered the price) back on the exchange as CEO of other publicly traded companies within a year or two. When that should be some Lance Armstrong gone-for-life shit.

Interesting. It does seem like some guys out there just know the hustle and know how to get knocked down, rebuild quickly and get back in the game, so to speak.

Back