I wish kick boxing had the same referees than the UFC

Chivas GDL

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Just watched Kelleher vs Barao and Barao was getting badly outstruck by Kelleher on the final 30 seconds of the fight but still defending and not falling down so the ref let it keep going .

Im trying to get myself into liking Glory kickboxing, but in the last Murthel Groenhart vs Harut Grigorian fight Harut gets a good nice knockdown so the fight is starting to get good Murthel gets up and then Harut is starting to turn this shit on again and landing noche shots and suddenly the ref steps in ending the fight in anticlimatic fashion and didn't let us see Groenhart getting properly destroyed as he deserved

Just watched Kelleher vs Barao and Barao was getting badly outstruck by Kelleher on the final 30 seconds of the fight but still defending and not falling down so the ref let it keep going .

Im trying to get myself into liking Glory kickboxing, but in the last Murthel Groenhart vs Harut Grigorian fight Harut gets a good nice knockdown so the fight is starting to get good Murthel gets up and then Harut is starting to turn this shit on again and landing noche shots and suddenly the ref steps in ending the fight in anticlimatic fashion and didn't let us see Groenhart getting properly destroyed as he deserved

I would agree that a lot of the refs out there probably shouldnt be reffing or should be more knowledgeable about the sport that they are reffing. I think the refs should be ex fighters in said sport. So if you used to fight karate, that doesnt qualify you to ref muay thai because they are "close enough". I know you were talking about glory, but several years ago there was a big controversy/drama all over social media about the reffing and judging of muay thai by the IKF. I can never find it when I search for it, but I can recall that on facebook kevin ross had posted a meme that said, how the IKF sees muay thai and it showed a picture of the karate kid. Since then things have seemed to change quite a bit with the reffing and judging for the better IMO.

Well first off glory has a no standing 8 count rule but the ref was an idiot. Chris Wagner was the ref for haruat vs murthal in Chicago and he is absolutely the worst ref in the sport. He fucks up every time he has been on a glory event and has no business being in the ring with professionals. The stupid guy also closes his eyes during big exchanges so he doesn't even know what the hell he is ruling over half the time.

Last edited:
UFC referees are quite shit (looks like the main event ended with an illegal shot just last night) but kickboxing refs are the worst across all combat sports so yes, having ufc referees come over would improve kickboxing by default.

I believe if you pick up random people from the street and have them read basic rules on the way to the ring they'll have to do a better job than the current kickboxing referees do.

Didn't Big John used to ref some ealier glory events?

Didn't Big John used to ref some ealier glory events?
when they have had events in California the state athletic commission used him as a referee. He also is still the only ref in glory history to actually call the clinch by the rules that are written down instead of by personal preference

Last edited:
Well first off glory has a no standing 8 count rule but the ref was an idiot. Chris Wagner was the ref for haruat vs murthal in Chicago and he is absolutely the worst ref in the sport. He fucks up every time he has been on a glory event and has no business being in the ring with professionals. The stupid guy also closes his eyes during big exchanges so he doesn't even know what the hell he is ruling over half the time.
I dunno man, Al Wichers is pretty bad, although I haven't seen him in a while.

Also I'm pretty sure Ive seen Dan Mirgliotta ref Glory before.

here is an example of poor reffing IMO. what it seems most people were lacking, was knowledge of the clinch, and generally speaking, clinching would always get cut short, basically immediately, as soon as you clinch, rather then letting them work the ref would be in to break it up.

In this video, I clinch the guy, get 2 hands around his head and am in the perfect position to start kneeing, and the ref comes and breaks it up, you can see me looking at him shocked and surprised like whats going on?

Later on in the fight, I am clinching the guy again........the ref comes and pats me on my back as if to stop fighting and then walks away, you can again see me look at him like whats going on? stop? dont stop? and then resume kneeing only to get swept. This ref basically had no knowledge of the clinch. He was also thai so go figure.

I dunno man, Al Wichers is pretty bad, although I haven't seen him in a while.

he constantly fucks up and someone died in a fight he reffed. I don't even know how this guy still has his license.

Referees across the board suck regardless of the sport. Their are some good ones but even they still make mistakes. Some of them need to be straight up fired though. They seem to get away with murder, almost literally in Al Wichers case.

Referees across the board suck regardless of the sport. Their are some good ones but even they still make mistakes. Some of them need to be straight up fired though. They seem to get away with murder, almost literally in Al Wichers case.

i agree, everybody makes mistakes so even the best refs are going to make a mistake here and there. Also a refs actions can easily be see one way or another depending who you ask. and lastly its always easy to point out the error/flaws from the outside looking in.

UFC referees are quite shit (looks like the main event ended with an illegal shot just last night) but kickboxing refs are the worst across all combat sports so yes, having ufc referees come over would improve kickboxing by default.

I believe if you pick up random people from the street and have them read basic rules on the way to the ring they'll have to do a better job than the current kickboxing referees do.
the knee missed the two legal elbow afterwards ended it. I really don't understand how a bunch of bs from DC forced this shit to go this way where everyone wants to say Stephens won due to illegal shit. The state athletic commision adapted the new rules Dan Miragliotta the ref told Jeremy Stephens if they are in that position and Josh Emmett lifts a hand off the ground then knees are legal so he threw one and it missed. The elbows before that was legal they hit on the side of the head one on the ear and one right behind it due to Emmett turning his head. DC doesn't know what he's talking about but he ran his mouth and got all these casual fans to side with him.

The state athletic commision adapted the new rules Dan Miragliotta the ref told Jeremy Stephens if they are in that position and Josh Emmett lifts a hand off the ground then knees are legal so he threw one and it missed. DC doesn't know what he's talking about but he ran his mouth and got all these casual fans to side with him.

You don't know what you're talking about. That rule doesn't apply if a knee of the opponents is touching the mat.

You don't know what you're talking about. That rule doesn't apply if a knee of the opponents is touching the mat.
listen dipshit this is what dan told him I just repeated what he said I wasn't saying it wasn't illegal where in there did I say it wasn't illegal.

listen dipshit this is what dan told him I just repeated what he said I wasn't saying it wasn't illegal where in there did I say it wasn't illegal.

not sure how Stephens misinterpreting what Miragliotta said does something for his case.

I agree with DC, that the knee grazed his head.

not sure how Stephens misinterpreting what Miragliotta said does something for his case.

I also think it the knee grazed his head.
the knee soared past his head without it even touching it beside on the way down it had no part in the outcome of the fight.

the knee soared past his head without it even touching it beside on the way down it had no part in the outcome of the fight.

I see two clear contacts.

hQ5vPKH.gif

Back