I want to talk about Bladerunner

Classic PKD story with amazing Ridley Scott production. Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer were both top tier.

Very interested in the 2017 reboot, but not too thrilled about Ryan Gosling. Hollywood needs it to be a blockbuster, so they are relying on a big name actor to draw crowds, as opposed to actually producing quality content.

For any PKD fans, also check out The Man In The High Castle on Amazon. Season 2 kind of blew me away. Really well done series.

Deakins + Villenueve has yet to let me down so I have high hopes. I don't mind Gosling at all and think he's a decent actor. I never go to the theater these days but I'll be there for this one.

I had the same initial experience. The first time I watched it I didn't really feel it. I thought it was boring tbh. I watched it a few years later and it blew my mind. The visual and audio experience had me fully immersed. I've seen it many times since and I'd put it in my top ten favourite movies, even top 5.

I highly recommend this documentary.

I love Blade Runner. It's not perfect and I always lose interest at points, but overall it's pretty unforgettable

Should definitely read some Philip K Dick if you're up to it ts

695050.jpg
Not ts but will do. Someone should start a book thread

I'm guessing the issue for most people as at the time is expectation, thinking there going to be seeing a more typical action/dective/romance film with a heroic Ford hunting down evil replicants and getting the girl. In reality Scott was looking to make a big budget arthouse film ala his obvious hero Kubrick although I do tend to view that early period(first 3-4 films) as "Kubrick if he was a bit more romanic rather than a cynical bastard".

What I think stands out from that Dangerous Days doct around the film for me is that actually even a lot of those in the production didn't entirely know what Scott was after, I would argue only his producer Michael Deeley and Rutger Hauer seem to totally on the page(although Ford always plays things close so is hard to read), hence for example the writters taking the view that the film was dramatically slight when really actually much of its depth is only present in the visuals.

Like Kubrick Scott from that era has an incredibly strong grasp of not just creating an evocative atmosphere but also of feeding it into his narrative. Something like the scene in Deckards apartment scanning the photograph for example does for me obviously help setup both the isolated nature of the character and the morally dubious task he's performing.

Last edited:
eh, Its one of my favorite movies. I love the blend of genres and the moral question of attempting to replicate intelligent life especially since it seems that topic is more relevant than ever.

Buts its very much a slow burn talky talky movie and i can see why some people dont get the appeal of that type of thing and view it as too slow. Nothing wrong with that opinion.

The final cut with an ambiguous ending is the best cut. Fuck that happy ending monologue bullshit

i remember playing fallout 4 and realizing how many subplots are basically bladerunner, so i stopped, rewatched it and then played more of the replicant/synth sidequests and it was more fun

Apparently Return To Castle Wolfenstein has story elements grafted from The Man in the High Castle.

I've tried multiple times over the years to try and enjoy Bladerunner and I just can't do it. Liking a movie shouldn't require this much energy, either you like it or not. You shouldn't have to be convinced to like a movie. Hey if this movie does it for you then awesome for you guys, just saying it doesn't do it for me.

I tried to watch Bladerunner a couple of years ago. I went into it expecting like a big action sci fi adventure movie and ended up being somewhat disappointed with what I got, honestly I thought it was boring and didn't even really pay much attention to it I just had it going as background noise while reading stuff on my laptop.

Last night I gave it another chance, this time giving it my undivided attention since I was watching it on my new 4K curve with a high end soundbar. What an experience. What a movie. I was really blown away by it this time. The story is fabulous, the music is great, this may be one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's like almost every frame, every shot is like a beautiful work of art with so much going on within it.

I can't stop thinking about how great this movie was. I want to talk about it more so post something. What do you think about this movie?

It is my favorite movie by a long stretch. I didn't enjoy it the first time I saw it. Second time I watched it I realized this was something else.

"You like our owl?"

I heard it was based on a true story.

Who wants to talk about the red glow in the eyes?

More gold than red and it was deliberate, Peter Jackson used the same kind of thing(although this time several small LED's) with Galadriel in LOTR reflecting lights in her eyes.

Deckard as a replicant I don't think damages the anti slavery message at all, indeed I think it works with it because the whole story is surely seeing the humanity in the godless replicants(as a stand in for post relgious humans with morality played up via a shorter lifespan) so the lead realising that he is one fits into that. The way the reaction is played at the end surely highlights that, its not some twilight zone shock but rather knowing resignation.

More gold than red and it was deliberate, Peter Jackson used the same kind of thing(although this time several small LED's) with Galadriel in LOTR reflecting lights in her eyes.

Deckard as a replicant I don't think damages the anti slavery message at all, indeed I think it works with it because the whole story is surely seeing the humanity in the godless replicants(as a stand in for post relgious humans with morality played up via a shorter lifespan) so the lead realising that he is one fits into that. The way the reaction is played at the end surely highlights that, its not some twilight zone shock but rather knowing resignation.

Of course it was deliberate. Every confirmed replicant in the movie at some point has the glow.

The one time you can kind of see a glow in Deckard's eyes is when Rachael is over his apartment, the genius of this shot being that Deckard is out of focus and fuzzy so you can't quite tell if is indeed the replicant eye glow.

I'm guessing pointing out that Deckards apartment and the med bay in Alien have the same sound in the background is something people know? a great cure for insomnia.

I'm interested in these books, will definitely check them out.

I watched The Final Cut on DVD that came out in 2007 on my 4K curve with great sound bar. It was so awesome I couldn't sleep last night. Movies like this and Apocalypse Now look so great on this TV. The soundtrack for Bladerunner really drew me into the movie, that was some really great music that set such a good tone for the film. I wonder if Bladerunner was released on 4K remaster?

They have done a 4K blu ray version of blade runner. Would have been fools not too.

https://www.dvdland.com.au/products...MIh6aWs6bt1QIVAti9Ch26AAe_EAQYASABEgKdqvD_BwE

There was a scene the wanted to put in but axed because of budget constraints, where Roy kills Terrell and goes into an upper deck of the building only to find a crypt of sorts where the real Tyrell's body is laid to rest.

I thought that would have been a great mind fuck to have placed in there

There was a scene the wanted to put in but axed because of budget constraints, where Roy kills Terrell and goes into an upper deck of the building only to find a crypt of sorts where the real Tyrell's body is laid to rest.

I thought that would have been a great mind fuck to have placed in there
Wtf. Was that scene ever made?

Wtf. Was that scene ever made?

Nah i remember i saw it mentioned on a youtube "making of" once. They had it story boarded and such and showed the drawings of the upper deck and Tyrells casket but never fleshed it out onto the film.

Heres a mention of it in the wikia

It was originally intended that the Tyrell murdered by Batty would be revealed to be a replicant, and as a result Batty would head up to the next floor, where he would discover the real Tyrell in cryogenic suspension. Sebastian would then explain that a incurable disease struck Tyrell, who had himself frozen until a cure is found. Subsequently Batty would demand that Sebastian awaken him. Two different versions exist with regard to what would have happened next.

In the first, Sebastian would break down and admit that he made an error years earlier and resulted in Tyrell's death and in a rage, Batty kills him. In the second Sebastian reveals that years before (estimated as 2013) a blackout struck the city, and during the approximately forty-five minutes the power was out, Tyrell's life support failed and he died. Again Batty is struck by despair and feeling there is no hope, he kills Sebastian much as he did in the finished film.

http://bladerunner.wikia.com/wiki/Eldon_Tyrell

ah heres more with storyboards

http://curiousconstructs.com/bladerunner/lost/BRL-Tyrell.html

Back