I want to increase my punching power, what exercises are best?

Dips and bench to a lesser degree train the triceps hard. Allows you to recruit more muscle fibers and with greater neural efficiency. If squats and power cleans increase a runners stride speed/length then bench and dips will increase hand speed. I've done this myself when I started incorportating weighted dips my hands got much fast esp the jab. I really don't get why people discount upper body presses when talking about punching. The jab for example physically can't be done without contracting a tricep. Strengthening the muscles and joints in the upper body contributes to improved power/speed/injury prevention.
I just don't think benching and dips improves the speed aspect of the punch.

Well there we have it. No need to look into this matter any further.
You're free to look into that if you want.

And if you think it will help hand speed, that's fine. I just disagree.

You're free to look into that if you want.

And if you think it will help hand speed, that's fine. I just disagree.
According to the other six dozen times this debate has come up, I believe we've arrived at a consensus:

That there are a number of factors which contribute to punching power; form, practice, genetic makeup, flexibility, strength, etc. and that it stands to reason that improvement in any one or combination of these should improve punching power.

Arm strength is in the chain (planted foot to punching fist) so improvement there will improve punching power. How much? Hard to say. How to prioritize? Probably near the bottom. But yes, getting stronger helps.

According to the other six dozen times this debate has come up, I believe we've arrived at a consensus:

That there are a number of factors which contribute to punching power; form, practice, genetic makeup, flexibility, strength, etc. and that it stands to reason that improvement in any one or combination of these should improve punching power.

Arm strength is in the chain (planted foot to punching fist) so improvement there will improve punching power. How much? Hard to say. How to prioritize? Probably near the bottom. But yes, getting stronger helps.
Go back and read. I was telling him that bench and dips does not increase hand speed.

I don't deny that bench and dips can help punching power.

Go back and read. I was telling him that bench and dips does not increase hand speed.

I don't deny that bench and dips can help punching power.
I'm no physicist, but I'm pretty sure speed and power have a relationship.

They do, But doing bench and dips does not increase your hand speed.
Power is work over time. Meaning more strength is faster. You propel a mass over a distance, that's what a punch is. There's other factors, I mentioned them.

But when you tell me to go back and read, shouldn't you go back and read the thread title? It's about punching power. Saying that dips don't help hand speed isn't just incorrect, it's off topic.

This post makes too much sense and uses too many facts. I disagree with what you are saying. Lol

Power is work over time. Meaning more strength is faster.
That is not necessarily true with a punch. Because you are moving your fist through the air and resistance through the air is not a factor. Therefore more strength on the bench and dip movement are basically a non factor in hand speed.

That is not necessarily true with a punch. Because you are moving your fist through the air and resistance through the air is not a factor. Therefore more strength on the bench and dip movement are basically a non factor in hand speed.

What?? Thats not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

Ok.

I just don't see that working. No offense. I do hope it works for you though.

I literally told you that when I added weighted dips my hands became much faster. And yet you insist on arguing with me despite presenting no solid evidence or theories. For most people increases in strength increase speed and power. This is just basic knowledge.

I literally told you that when I added weighted dips my hands became much faster. And yet you insist on arguing with me despite presenting no solid evidence or theories. For most people increases in strength increase speed and power. This is just basic knowledge.
I can see bench and dips increasing punching power, but I have a hard time seeing them increase hand speed.

Back