I want to dress better (fashion brahs gtfih)

C2FwCqaUsAAdQTb.jpg

giphy.gif

I've never cared much about clothing but I've decided that I want to improve my fashion game. Any of you know good blogs or websites where you can learn the basics and get some inspiration and tips?

Most of dressing nice is the fit and color-coordinating. But do it with clothing you like.

My advice: if you find a clothing item you like, go to google images and search: '(item you like) men style'.

So lets say you see a pair of black slimfit chinos and you like them. Just go to google images and search 'black slimfit chino men style' and you'll see 100's of different styles. So you can users that as inspiration.

bonus: when doing this you Will see a lot of the same color combinations, giving you a good Idea what color matches well or not at all with the clothing item you like.
So die example you like camel colored Chino's and you Go to google images, Lets say there are 50 pictures of that color chino with blue colored upperhalf clothing, 50 pictures with Grey upperhalf clothing and only 1 picture with the brightest green ever upperhalf clothing. Its safe to assume that camel and blue/Grey matches better than camel/Bright green.

Last tip: invest in quality shoes, invest in shoetrees AND USE THEM (!!!!!), clean and polishing your shows once a week and NEVER wear your shoes two days in a row. (Leather) shoes need at least a 24 hour restingperiod between wears. If youre wanting to buy dress shoes, let me know. I got some more tips for sure.

Hooe this helps man. Dont forget to west what you like. If you want some more tips etc. Just hit me up:)

Went shopping today for 4 hours and ended up with 2 sweaters (gray and blue), 2 cotton pants that looked like chinos (green and gray), a brown belt and 3 t shirts (burgundy/wine, gray and black). Also bought some shoes similar to the ones I posted as an example.

Went I got home I went through my closet, ended up tossing out about half my shit. The rest were decent enough to keep for now.

When I went out to buy the shoes I was wearing the new stuff and I felt great because I knew the clothes fit great :D

I've been reading a lot on the subject the last 2 days and already feel like I'm getting more of a grasp on what works and what doesn't.

Yeah, you'll get a taste for the hunt and then your personal style will develop; build your wardrobe SLOW. With items you love. If you're thinking in multiples, think about quality dress shirts and other low-profile garments that can serve as your "uniform" -- reserving unique or splashy items for your focal points.

Beyond silhouette, think about the story you want to tell with your appearance because people will infer one anyway. And like any good story, you'll benefit by layering purposefully.

That shit was poetic! :p Hadn't thought that deep into it.

Be careful what you see on TV, some guys win best dressed and style awards dressing like this, you will get laughed at trying to copy this clown stuff only way you can get away with this is if you are some celebrity or its Halloweeen, Andre 3000 is a dope rapper but I laughed when they voted him best dressed
original-25948-1440616184-11.jpg

040914_Andre_4.jpg

andre-3000-2004-grammys-billboard-500.jpg

The majority of guys on Sherdog wear suits like this on the left, and don't wear proper fit clothing it makes a big difference
Suit_Comparison.jpg

8171886_orig.jpg

More examples of guys who don't wear proper fitting suits and dont realize they are making a fool of themselves

poorlyfittingsuits.jpg

I'm somewhere in between $30 pants and $100+. And I think fit is very important. I guess I've just never found it all that hard to get jeans that fit.

Most of the better brands only have one inseam and unless your legs are the exact length of the inseam you need to get them hemmed.

You absolutely can.

2003 vs 2017 NBA Draft Photo. The 2003 suits look fucking terrible:

kqoy0mbp4g5z.jpg

Additionally, suits do not look good everywhere. It's great to be well-dressed. It's not great when you are over-dressed. Suits can be overdressed.

ca69b5ef9d5e65e79a7b50deead84a87.jpg

The majority of guys on Sherdog wear suits like this on the left, and don't wear proper fit clothing it makes a big difference
Suit_Comparison.jpg

8171886_orig.jpg

More examples of guys who don't wear proper fitting suits and dont realize they are making a fool of themselves

poorlyfittingsuits.jpg

I agree but interesting to note this is a generational gap as well with the times. I'll put it this way, if you are 30 today and show up wearing a baggy suite you are oblivious to these things and dress like shit for the times. But baggy suites 15 years ago was actually a thing that everyone did. If you looked at pictures from the Oscars in say 2001 baggy suites or tuxes were the norm. Recently I got a crappy backup suite I had hemmed from the eastern european women who was a suite tailor for probably over 30 years and she was giving me a hard time on my request. She finally was like "Oh you want it like the modern style that the young generation likes". I'm thinking to myself...Yes I want my suit to look good for today's time not some generic fit that my dad has.

I agree but interesting to note this is a generational gap as well with the times. I'll put it this way, if you are 30 today and show up wearing a baggy suite you are oblivious to these things and dress like shit for the times. But baggy suites 15 years ago was actually a thing that everyone did. If you looked at pictures from the Oscars in say 2001 baggy suites or tuxes were the norm. Recently I got a crappy backup suite I had hemmed from the eastern european women who was a suite tailor for probably over 30 years and she was giving me a hard time on my request. She finally was like "Oh you want it like the modern style that the young generation likes". I'm thinking to myself...Yes I want my suit to look good for today's time not some generic fit that my dad has.

I know what you are saying man, those Zoot suit style baggy suits with big shoulder pads were big in the 1940s, most black folk back in my area wear baggy colorful suits like Steve Harvey and the NBA players back in the early 2000s.

Russell Crowe wore this to the Oscars in 2001 lol
style-2013-02-worst-dressed-oscars-worst-dressed-oscars-20.jpg

One thing is for sure, the classic tailored or fitted suit is Timeless, those fads will come and go but the fitted suit will always be the pinnacle of style.

LOL wtf anyone with half a brain would know those pants are WAYYY to big, either he did that on a dare or T mac lost all his millions and is flat broke and borrowed a suit.

Lmao he claimed his tailor gave him the wrong suit I think.

You absolutely can.

2003 vs 2017 NBA Draft Photo. The 2003 suits look fucking terrible:

kqoy0mbp4g5z.jpg

Additionally, suits do not look good everywhere. It's great to be well-dressed. It's not great when you are over-dressed. Suits can be overdressed.

Yep. All thanks to madmen. Watch any (non period) movie or show from before then and it's wide lapel ugly suit city.

It's particularly glaring in near future set sci fi. The 6th day (2000), minority report (2002) and Irobot (2004) clearly never predicted the return of 60s style skinny tie/lapel. Hell its only in inception (2010) and then intime (2011) where "modern" style suits are seen.

Suit_Comparison.jpg

8171886_orig.jpg

poorlyfittingsuits.jpg

for office wear, tailored suits and pants are a pain in the ass (and balls) to wear

Most of the better brands only have one inseam and unless your legs are the exact length of the inseam you need to get them hemmed.
I'm not arguing, seriously, it just never once occurred to me based on the amount of shitty fitting jeans I see. Anyway, back to the real point.

The answer, TS, is go slim, not skinny, and make sure it matches and fits well. That's it. It's easy for guys these days, really. Mix formal and informal clothes like dress shoes and nice jeans. When the weather calls for it, add in a nice non-baggy sweater. Simple shit. It helps to have a chick around who can help you make sure you're you've got the fit right.

Back