I want to compete, how do I know when I'm ready?

Have you competed before in striking or grappling?

Going on 3 years of BJJ training (4 times a week consistently) in December competed about 3 times a year. Started Kickboxing at the top of this year. Doing pretty good in sparring (twice a week) and working on my wrestling were I can.

Going on 3 years of BJJ training (4 times a week consistently) in December competed about 3 times a year. Started Kickboxing at the top of this year. Doing pretty good in sparring (twice a week) and working on my wrestling were I can.
That's good. A problem in the older days is people would jump into MMA fights right away with no competitive background, and it would be disastrous.

For now, just focus on the absolute basics on striking. Don't end up in the trap of underestimating it assuming "If I get close he's dead". I've witnessed too many fighters do that (both strikers and grapplers) and end up doing poorly in their fight.

Right now the plan should be to be to not shut down against a better striker. The striking game is really a game, the whole idea revolves around confidence. You prevent your opponent from getting comfortable and confident by shutting them down with volume, and you don't want that happening to you, so you interrupt him so he won't get his volume on you. So its kind of a tug o' war, they press offense, you reply with "offensive-defense" (interrupt) and then in that split second, you switch to offense. Its funny because even if its a very weak strike that interrupts, alot of times they bail or switch things up. Likewise don't make that mistake either, they'll see that and realize your combinations can be broken easily.

Best of luck on your fight. If you have a good coach and team, they'll set you up with a proper opponent, most likely its going to be a striker with some grappling. Hell, go for heelhooks, leg attacks are still new to alot of camps.

For now, just focus on the absolute basics on striking. Don't end up in the trap of underestimating it assuming "If I get close he's dead".

When you say basics you are talking about simple combos and keeping hands up chin tucked etc...? I gather what you are saying is don't get too fancy in there.

When you say basics you are talking about simple combos and keeping hands up chin tucked etc...? I gather what you are saying is don't get too fancy in there.
Yeah. Simple combination, solid guard, and keep the chin tucked. MMA gloves are small so you can't shell up long otherwise they're going to wreck the body

Got it. I like what you said about swarming and not giving a chance for the competition to get comfortable. I will try and make it a point to spar that way until the fight to get it dialed in. Our head coach has his hands full we have a couple of pro guys fighting the week before my fight so I'm picking up what ever I can and focusing on doing good in sparring and keeping my weight in check (fighting at 200lbs, 213 this morning).

Back