I want to clarify on the old policy on PEDS. Basically out of competition you could pop

ClosetVitorFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
For anything under the sun. But when it came to being "in competition" you had to test clean. This is basically what Chael said in an interview. That back in the day, they would do random drug tests but you could test positive out of competition but IN competiton you can not. You basically get your license a week or two before the fight takes place. Once you get that license to fight X opponent you are now "in competition" and can not piss hot.

That's why I think so many fighters failed tests pre USADA because it was allowed out of competition and the fighters just didn't taper off correctly and pissed hot while in competition. Also TRT adds a whole new layer to that.

They were pretty lienent back then.

Your grammar in the thread title needs a yellow card.

Edit.
Jesus, you're a red belt and still want to talk about PED's?

Just to retort, you weren't "allowed" to juice out of competition. It was more like. "We can't tell you how to live your life".

You’re using Chael Sonnen as your source for anything.

LOL.
Hes a multiple time juicer...was caught pre usada for random drug test for a steroid ped cocktail. He's a good source on this subject matter. He knows peds and ped policy.

Hes a multiple time juicer...was caught pre usada for random drug test for a steroid ped cocktail. He's a good source on this subject matter. He knows peds and ped policy.
He either totally misunderstands, or more likely lies about, ANYTHING related to drug use and drug testing. It’s entertaining and fun, but he’s not someone to ever quote for facts.

Chael Sonnen is an idiot, at no time could you have tested positive out of competition for anything considered performance enhancing, and substances not considered performance enhancing weren't tested for out of competition. This is hilarious because Chael tested positive when he was supposed to fight Wanderlei, then again when the Wanderlei fight was cancelled and Vitor stepped in to be the replacement. Chael was immediately suspended when it happened. Pre-USADA

Stop listening to Chael when he talks about stuff, he really has no idea what he's talking about 90% of the time but speaks confidently as if he's an expert on the subject when he's not.

Don't know why the hate in this thread, fighters used to apply for fight licenses in states, just weeks before the fight. It was obvious they were juicing and coming off.

Don't know why the hate in this thread, fighters used to apply for fight licenses in states, just weeks before the fight. It was obvious they were juicing and coming off.
Because he said you could test positive out of competition, not that you could juice till you applied for a license. Two totally different things.

Because he said you could test positive out of competition, not that you could juice till you applied for a license. Two totally different things.
Right. According to Chael you could have peds in your system out of competition. Same way you could have marijuana in your system out of competition. That was the old policy. Now they identify that the using peds even out of Competition benefits the fighter unfairly come fight day or in competition.

He either totally misunderstands, or more likely lies about, ANYTHING related to drug use and drug testing. It’s entertaining and fun, but he’s not someone to ever quote for facts.

This is because he said bad things about Fedor isn't it. Admit it.

For anything under the sun. But when it came to being "in competition" you had to test clean. This is basically what Chael said in an interview. That back in the day, they would do random drug tests but you could test positive out of competition but IN competiton you can not. You basically get your license a week or two before the fight takes place. Once you get that license to fight X opponent you are now "in competition" and can not piss hot.

That's why I think so many fighters failed tests pre USADA because it was allowed out of competition and the fighters just didn't taper off correctly and pissed hot while in competition. Also TRT adds a whole new layer to that.

They were pretty lienent back then.

it wasnt "allowed" out of competition. they just didnt test out of competition.

not testing is not the same as "it was allowed"

you didnt get tested till you had your licence for that particular fight

either chael is an idiot, or you have totally misunderstood him.. or both

what you are suggesting is that they tested you out of competition but if it was positive they didnt do anything.. thats NOT what happened

it wasnt "allowed" out of competition. tjhey just didnt test out of competition.

Not exactly true, there was random testing prior to USADA and fighters were tested without a license.

Wand comes to mind for the Chael fight, he wasn't licensed for that fight when they tried to test him.

Overeem was tested without a license for the Brock fight, but he flew to England to avoid it, then was tested a week later or so, and granted a provisional license for that fight....he didn't fulfill the requirements of that provision because he tested positive randomly a month or so later when he was supposed to fight JDS (he tried to run from that test too!)

Those are just a couple examples off the top of my head because those are examples where fighters had extenuating circumstances, I'm sure there's a lot of examples of fighters just passing the test so them not being licensed at the time of testing is a non-issue.

it wasnt "allowed" out of competition. they just didnt test out of competition.

not testing is not the same as "it was allowed"

either chael is an idiot, or you have totally misunderstood him.. or both

what you are suggesting is that they tested you out of competition but if it was positive they didnt do anything.. thats NOT what happened
But that's what Chael said in the interview. I remember it clear as day.

Not exactly true, there was random testing prior to USADA and fighters were tested without a license.

Wand comes to mind for the Chael fight, he wasn't licensed for that fight when they tried to test him.

Overeem was tested without a license for the Brock fight, but he flew to England to avoid it, then was tested a week later or so, and granted a provisional license for that fight....he didn't fulfill the requirements of that provision because he tested positive randomly a month or so later when he was supposed to fight JDS (he tried to run from that test too!)

Those are just a couple examples off the top of my head because those are examples where fighters had extenuating circumstances, I'm sure there's a lot of examples of fighters just passing the test so them not being licensed at the time of testing is a non-issue.

So why did Wand and Overeem avoid the test if failing the test didn't have any repurcussions? And I thought that was the start of out-of-competition testing by USADA. Failing that test would result in a suspension.

So why did Wand and Overeem avoid the test if failing the test didn't have any repurcussions? And I thought that was the start of out-of-competition testing by USADA. Failing that test would result in a suspension.
I didnt say failing the tests didn't have repercussions, although they probably couldn't have been suspended.

Vitor also failed an out of competition test when he was on TRT and the nsac couldn't suspwnd him for it They ended up banning TRT though.

errrr.....

WAR VITOR!!!!!

Right. According to Chael you could have peds in your system out of competition. Same way you could have marijuana in your system out of competition. That was the old policy. Now they identify that the using peds even out of Competition benefits the fighter unfairly come fight day or in competition.
Why would they test them out of competition if the results literally didn’t matter?

it was incredibly rare.

I didnt say failing the tests didn't have repercussions, although they probably couldn't have been suspended.

Vitor also failed an out of competition test when he was on TRT and the nsac couldn't suspwnd him for it They ended up banning TRT though.

where is this failed test? no he didnt.

Back