I used to rank GSP over Silva, but it’s not logical.

It only sounds stupid if you cherry pick the fighters and reasons you mention it. A FW in Frankie Edgar captured the LW belt - it’s why he gets so much P4P/All time clout. You and I both know that guys have natural weight classes.

I’m not shitting on ANY of those fighters or their skill-sets, they’re all HW all-time greats and nobody can take that from them. The skill cap at heavyweight is significantly lower than lighter divisions, and that’s just reality.

If you don’t think a 240lb version of Demetrius Johnson would be the greatest pugilist to ever live, you’re insane. Nobody has a more well rounded skill set.

So a 5'3 240lb Mighty Mouse? MM is so technical because he has to be to be successful. HWs are not as technical because they don't have to be to be successful.

You're not being realistic. If Mighty Mouse was bigger he would be a completely different fighter, but you could pretend that he'd be the same guy.

Pro MMA fighters > Canadians on Sherdog
I’m American - and I can count, to boot!

Believe me when I say I’d much rather be Canadian.

Also, this has historically proven to be untrue. Fighters, just like you and I, have opinions and biases.

So a 5'3 240lb Mighty Mouse? MM is so technical because he has to be to be successful. HWs are not as technical because they don't have to be to be successful.

You're not being realistic. If Mighty Mouse was bigger he would be a completely different fighter, but you could pretend that he'd be the same guy.

Thick skull, huh?

You just argued that heavyweights are less technical...

That’s my point, chief. The division isn’t as skilled. The reason they don’t have to be is that other professional sports exist for 240lb men where they can make a shit-ton more money. If the LeBron Jameses of the world were MMAists, the Heavyweight division would be VERY technical.

But hey, you keep clinging to that bad logic.

Thick skull, huh?

You just argued that heavyweights are less technical...

That’s my point, chief. The division isn’t as skilled. The reason they don’t have to be is that other professional sports exist for 240lb men where they can make a shit-ton more money. If the LeBron Jameses of the world were MMAists, the Heavyweight division would be VERY technical.

But hey, you keep clinging to that bad logic.

Based on what? When you're that big, 1 punch can end it. All the technique in the world can't change that, just look at Overeem.

And being technical and being skilled aren't the same thing. Mark Hominick was very technical, he's not nearly as skilled as Fedor.

But keep making up impossible scenarios to try and shit on HW fighters. Mighty Mouse will never be 240 or taller than 5'3.

but GSP beat the great small BJ Penn

Anderson is a different conversation, so I’m going to focus on Fedor here.

I’m talking about skillsets, not speed. Demetrius is very fast and that’s incredible - but he’s also far more technically sound than Fedor has ever been. I’m referring to technique, here. If someone with his footwork, head movement, striking technique, grappling technique, etc existed at 240 lbs (Think if LeBron James chose MMA instead of basketball) then we wouldn’t even mention Fedor.

Technically diverse, yes. Technically sound, no. Fedors balance, weight shifting, footwork, defensive boxing, were all much better than Demetrious.

You are confusing technical ability with speed if you aren't seeing the holes in his game.

Anderson Silva has fought and finished much tougher competition. Holds the record for most consecutive wins and title defences. Never tapped to strikes to a semi-professional.

It's simple: anderson.
Lol list names of this "tougher competition"

GSP was empirically less consistent. Less defenses. Nothing less consistent for a champ than a loss
Anderson had fights so bad even the ref was disgusted w him.

Jon Jones emerged as GOAT in my eyes, but second place was always a question mark. When GSP beat Bisping to win a second belt it made sense to put him at #2 besides Jones, even if GSP did cherrypick and all three guys were out of their primes. However, the correct rankings are

1.Jones
2.Silva

3.fedor
4.gsp

GSP in his prime couldn’t even TKO/SUB the top guys at his own natural weightclass. 1 ‘finish’ vs BJ over 5 years/9 fights. That is not GOAT stuff.

Meanwhile Andy went up from 170 to 185 and finished 11 out 13 UFC opponents before running into Weidman.

Silva>GSP.
Also Anderson was innocent, dick pills confirmed the first time around, and contaminated supplements the second time.
View attachment 409191
I'm not totally believing the innocence, but I totally agree that he's above Georges.

Very overrated record, lay on most of his opponents and his opponents faded into complete obscurity.

You do it. How are the Hughes and Serras of this world any tougher than the monsters Silva destroyed?
Hughes was most dominant champ of all time in any division when gsp beat him. That's the equivalent of beating gsp, jones, dc, or dj today. Who are these monsters that Silva destroyed? The only good fighter he's beaten is vitor. The only time chael was good was when he was beating Silvas ass, yustin okami blows dick, Patrick cote sucks, demaian make dropped down to gsps division and got made irrelevant. Who the fuck are these monsters you are talking about?

Gap beat shields strikeforce champ, Diaz strikeforce champ, Condit interim UFC as champ, alves who had some of the scariest striking at the time, koscheck who was smashing anybody not named gsp, Hughes a hall of famer, bj penn when he was the UFC lw champ, and he completely dominated everybody else that didn't have top end accolades. Learn what you are talking about first buddy

Back