I took a trip around Asia...Ask Me Anything | Page 6

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Pickle, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Pickle Yellow Card

Pickle
    A lot of Koreans do speak English if you go to the right places. A lot also don't though.

ShinkanPo likes this.
  2. loyalyolayal Double Yellow Card

loyalyolayal
    Eh...they wouldn't be swarming philippians if they know how to speak english.

Doughbelly and ShinkanPo like this.
  3. ShinkanPo Queen of Bad Jokes!

ShinkanPo
    I am curiius too there is definitely an Islamic past to the Philippines.

Maybe the rest of the word got corrupted over time. Hmmn I dont know. But even today we have this expression when some fuck up thing happend we say Hala! or Ala! Maybe its related to Alah Akbar.

Lol.

4. ShinkanPo Queen of Bad Jokes!

ShinkanPo
    I plan to visit Malaysia again.. so you saying the more Chinese the better food? I heard about Penang and their Chinese cousine but not much of Melakka.

Melakka sounds like a historical place and as you have said has great food.

I think they call that Peranacan Cousine?

loyalyolayal likes this.
  5. ShinkanPo Queen of Bad Jokes!

ShinkanPo
    I love a Baguio City but I am from the Philippines so I may be biased but as some one from Manila I would say its much more pleasant there maybe because of the mountain climate, I hate hot weather and I love some of the old American style houses.

6. Rjay Green Belt

Rjay
    Depends the type of food. The stuff Penang is famous for is more Chinese-style Malaysian cuisine, like chicken rice and especially char kway teow, rather than Malay dishes. So it's not more Chinese the better, just depends what you like. I haven't been to Melacca oddly enough but it's famous for the Peranakan food, which is a variation of Malay cuisine made by the Peranakans who are ethnically Chinese but heavily influenced by Malay culture. I don't like it much but depends your tastes.

loyalyolayal and ShinkanPo like this.
  7. 5crew Brown Belt

5crew
    Be sure to drop me a pm when you do come to Singapore. We can hit a few makan places and grab a drink or two after. I don't drive though :( So it's Uber time. ^^

I'm sure Cool Hand Luke have NO issue navigating Singapore. He used to live here. :D

loyalyolayal likes this.
  8. 5crew Brown Belt

5crew
    My campmate is getting married to a Korea lady. I don't stay in frequent contact with Korean ladies other than her so my opinion might be poo. Simply put it this way, you ARE the breadwinner but you don't have much say in most things except for the major decisions. They would prefer to be a stay home mum, if possible.

It really depends on your taste in food. I won't say Chinese food in Malaysia is better than Malays, but I tend to go for them more often simply because I'm a Chinese and I'm used to them. The same food are available here in Singapore, but are usually significantly better over in Malaysia.

As for Malacca, it's definitely a place to visit for the historical sights and buildings. The Architectures there are pretty unique due to the mixture of cultures decades ago.

However!
    Jonker Street is definitely what you will see in every single travel guides there. It's a fun place to loiter around for 3hrs ~ 5hrs but avoid the "famous Chicken Rice balls". They are touristed priced, but if you really wishes to try, go in further instead of trying them at the first stall you encounter. There are AT LEAST 20 stalls in you walk further down.

**There are WAY better Chinese Rice in all other parts of Malaysia tbh**

Peranakan cuisine is like @Rjay said, up to individual. I'm willing to go out on a limb to say it's not as easily acceptable as other cuisine. I'm luke warm with them and I'm usually very open to eating foods from other culture. Still worth a try obviously.

ShinkanPo and loyalyolayal like this.
  9. taurus Tiger knee belt

taurus
    Which stereotypes did you confirm?

And which stereotypes did you get rid off during the trip?

What surprised you the most?

10. Pickle Yellow Card

Pickle
    I actually didn't have many stereotypes before going but left with a few, however, I don't think I could get into those here without getting into trouble because they may not be PC.

Even the 2 countries that were actually nice, Japan and Korea, had a ton of other issues that showed me they can't compare with the USA.

I was told Singapore was supposed to be so nice but it was pretty average by American standards.

11. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    Singapore isn't really somewhere I'd go for exotic culture beyond perhaps the bar of the Raffles hotel, more just a clean modern hassle free city that makes for a good overnight stopover for long lights to NZ and Aus from Europe. If I actually had to live in South East Asia its probably were I would go for though, especially if I had a family.

Rav1nHunter and 5crew like this.
  12. Pickle Yellow Card

Pickle
    Yeah, Singapore sucks unless you just want to get pussy.

13. 5crew Brown Belt

5crew
    Singapore is extremely boring. It's just a city from any countries with much less culture and history.

But I still have to defend my fellow country mate by saying, we are generally nice people, just more "shy" compared to other SE Asia countries. We don't really speak up to strangers, or even give a simple smile/nod. Though, the "shyness" could be a result of over inflated Ego where most of us believe that we are better than neighboring countries. That "fact" is up for debate, I personally don't think so, but a number of Singaporean does.

14. Pickle Yellow Card

Pickle
    The girls in Singapore aren't shy.

15. Loiosh Detective

Loiosh
    Forgive me, but I'm going to use your name as an excuse to post this spiffy Pickle Rick gif.

[​IMG]

JC Komo and Left Hook Lacy like this.
  16. Pugilistic Black Belt

Pugilistic
    Where in the states are you from? Granted I lived in mostly hick towns in the States, I had a hard thinking someplace like Japan is worse than the US. I don't have to worry about walking around at night into the wrong neighborhood and having a gun pulled on me in Japan or Korea.

mon, koolinkunming and loyalyolayal like this.
  17. loyalyolayal Double Yellow Card

loyalyolayal
    Homogeneous society FTW!

18. Cool Hand Luke The Real Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke
    There is a very high chance I might move back there next year

19. RawHawg Brown Belt

RawHawg
    Did you eat any bugs, dead or alive?

20. JC Komo Amateur Fighter

JC Komo
    Why are Korean girls so god damn hot? Also, how many times did you masturbate during said trip.

Doughbelly likes this.