I think I may have damaged a ligament again, has anyone got advice?

Croo67

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
First off, apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Earlier today I landed awkwardly on my knee whilst sparring with a friend. I got the typical burning pain and the feeling as if my knee was twisted - like you usually get when a ligament is damaged.

Thankfully, my knee doesn't appear to be too swollen and I can stand on it fine without it giving way. However, it is sore and I have trouble bending it backwards.

IF it isn't damaged too badly, how should I go about strengthening it? I have access to a gym and I have a resistance band for knee injuries. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to go to a physio - the cheapest one nearby is $80 per session, and as a college student that is way out of my budget.

Thanks for any help, it will be greatly appreciated.

Your college doesn't have a student healthcare plan where costs are partially covered?
Or athletic therapists on hand ? Lots of them accept drop ins from non athletes if there is time.

Your college doesn't have a student healthcare plan where costs are partially covered?
Or athletic therapists on hand ? Lots of them accept drop ins from non athletes if there is time.

Unfortunately it costs, which really sucks.

My advice is see a doctor. I wouldn't sell my knee for $80

By the sound of it, it could be a PCL injury. They don't require surgery (even a full tear doesn't). They warrant the good old "avoid things that hurt it, if it doesn't get better within a month or so, go see a doctor", then working on regaining full ROM once the pain is gone.

Then again it could be a number of other things. Seeing a doctor is your safest bet.

Back