I think Chael Sonnen's win is one of Anderson's most underrated

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It's talked about a lot because of the way the first fight was finished.

But both of their fights are noticable accomplishments from Anderson because of the context (the rib injury during the first fight, and more generally the fact that he was criticized after the lackluster Maia fight).

Anderson had an 11 fights win streak and needless to say, people wanted him to be put to the test after his clowning during most of the Maia fight (even though i think he won it fair and square).

Sonnen was no joke. He had great performances against Marquadt, Okami, Bisping, but he most importantly was a very bad matchup for Silva. Maybe the most dangerous wrestler he had to face to date at the exception and Hendo, who i consider to be his best win.

This is why i believe from the context of the stylistic matchup it's a great win, and if we consider Gastelum to be one of Adesanya's hardest fights, we can also consider Chael to be one of his toughest challenge as well.

It's talked about a lot because of the way the first fight was finished.

But both of their fights are noticable accomplishments from Anderson because of the context (the rib injury during the first fight, and more generally the fact that he was criticized after the lackluster Maia fight).

Anderson had an 11 fights win streak and needless to say, people wanted him to be put to the test after his clowning during most of the Maia fight (even though i think he won it fair and square).

Sonnen was no joke. He had great performances against Marquadt, Okami, Bisping, but he most importantly was a very bad matchup for Silva. Maybe the most dangerous wrestler he had to face to date at the exception and Hendo, who i consider to be his best win.

This is why i believe from the context of the stylistic matchup it's a great win, and if we consider Gastelum to be one of Adesanya's hardest fights, we can also consider Chael to be one of his toughest challenge as well.
Of course, Chael was a huge stylistic challenge against Silva, and like you said he was on a good winning streak.

Plus anytime you beat an undefeated GOAT fighter like Chael twice it's very impressive

I don't think Chael ranks as one of Anderson's best careers wins. I wouldn't even put him top 5. There's Franklin, Belfort, Hendo, Griffin and Newton. Honestly overall Marquardt and Maia were probably better than Sonnen as well

It's weird but fighters get less respect for hard fights when they should get more. It usually means their opponent was strong, at least on that night, or had a hard style for them.

The first fight Chael was dominating for Anderson to then pull out that sub, amazing great fight. The second fight Silva owned him and tore him apart, really impressive.

The Franklin fight was probably the best because Frank legitimately looked afraid after the clinch.

I was at a show for the first fight, remember my buddy texting me updates saying it was hopeless and then suddenly that Silva won. I missed both that and the Vitor front kick being at shows, kinda wish I hadn't.

I don't think Chael ranks as one of Anderson's best careers wins. I wouldn't even put him top 5. There's Franklin, Belfort, Hendo, Griffin and Newton. Honestly overall Marquardt and Maia were probably better than Sonnen as well

I agree with all these fights except maybe Griffin because Anderson thrives of these slow big boys with telegraphed shots. But i love Forrest and that was a good win considering it was at LHW and that Silva was putting his UFC undefeated streak at stake

The first fight Chael was dominating for Anderson to then pull out that sub, amazing great fight. The second fight Silva owned him and tore him apart, really impressive.

The Franklin fight was probably the best because Frank legitimately looked afraid after the clinch.
There was a lot of shorts grabbing in the rematch. Not saying it would have totally changed the outcome cause Chael is known for making stupid moves that lead to him being finished but the ref shouldn't have allowed Anderson to grab Sonnen's shorts for like half a minute to help defend takedowns.

Anderson cheated so much in the second fight, it was ridiculous.

Sonnen dominated Marquardt, was a harder style matchup, was bigger and even more roided, and got the tittle shot coming off more legitimate wins than Marquardt. There is no standpoint from where you can say Nate was a better win than Chael.

Okami, who beat Marquardt in a tittle eliminator, is arguably a better win too

I agree with all these fights except maybe Griffin because Anderson thrives of these slow big boys with telegraphed shots. But i love Forrest and that was a good win considering it was at LHW and that Silva was putting his UFC undefeated streak at stake

Griffin was coming off beating Shogun, Rampage for the LHW tittle, and was also beating Evans until got caught in the 3rd in another LHW tittle fight. He outgrappled Franklin, Rua among others and had 20+lbs of size advantage over Silva.

To say Newton was a better win that Griffin is just a shertard statement that not even Silva or even Newton himself would agree on lol.
Sakurai was also arguably a better win than Newton at the time Silva beat them

This is another underrated pre-UFC win for Silva btw:

It's a huge win.

But it was like taking 11 left turns to take 23 minutes get where he was going, when everyone expected him to just take a right and get there in a few minutes.

And honestly, if Chael had just been more patient, he probably would have just LnP'd his way to the title. Silva won for sure....but it took Chael choking to make it happen.

So I just convinced myself out of it. It isn't an underrated win.

Please rewatch the 2nd fight.
Sonnen took him down after 5 seconds and had 6 of the total 7 minutes control.
Then Sonnen stumbles over his own feet and gets finished by an illegal knee.

Chael got 9 submission losses and was like the most submission prone top 3 fighter ever.
Anderson still needed 23 minutes for it.

It's a huge win.

But it was like taking 11 left turns to take 23 minutes get where he was going, when everyone expected him to just take a right and get there in a few minutes.

And honestly, if Chael had just been more patient, he probably would have just LnP'd his way to the title. Silva won for sure....but it took Chael choking to make it happen.

So I just convinced myself out of it. It isn't an underrated win.

So that wrist control to get the triangle...

Magic?

Abracadabra?

I don't know about that. Fights for the title are 25 minutes. Chael won a good 23 of them, but it ain't over til the last bell.

Also Chael was juiced to the gills, so a loss was never going to stand.

Chael was 90 seconds away from a No Contest.

that first fight is one of my top 5 all time greatest fights, everyone was rooting for Sonnen cus we were all pissed at the maia fight, but I thought for sure Sonnen would get waxed inside 2 rounds, I was in such disbelief the entire time given that Silva looked unbeatable prior to that fight, part of me thinks Silva went easy on him just to fuck with him and waited till round 5 to sub him, there were a few instances where Sonnen was lazy in Silva's guard and left a triangle open

So that wrist control to get the triangle...

Magic?

Abracadabra?

I don't know about that. Fights for the title are 25 minutes. Chael won a good 23 of them, but it ain't over til the last bell.

Also Chael was juiced to the gills, so a loss was never going to stand.

Chael was 90 seconds away from a No Contest.
IIRC Chael started sitting up more in about the 4th round.

I'm not saying Silva did nothing. He secured the win in dramatic fashion. It was epic.

But I am saying Chael brainfarted. Or "showed low fight IQ". Or displayed his mental weakness that he admitted to on TUF. There are lots of different ways of saying it.

IIRC Chael started sitting up more in about the 4th round.

I'm not saying Silva did nothing. He secured the win in dramatic fashion. It was epic.

But I am saying Chael brainfarted. Or "showed low fight IQ". Or displayed his mental weakness that he admitted to on TUF. There are lots of different ways of saying it.

Anderson had a fucked up if i reckon ? The second fight went different

Things I've learned from Chael over the years

He's a nightmare matchup for primary strikers. Chael didn't just beat up Anderson, he beat up like half the division.

Terrible against better wrestlers. Chael takedowns and chain wrestling is A tier but everything else about his ground game is average or bad. I swear he has like some of the worst scrambles and transitions at the top. Lopsided losses to better wrestlers

Low IQ and lazy submission defense. His sub defense has been questionable his entire career and he's made some dumb decisions in fights

Back