I switched from BJJ to Pure Wrestling (freestyle)

I got to wrestle a few times at a high school as an adult. Every time after has been me trying to relive that in bjj.

I found a poster in here - he posted once - about how he found wrestling in his 20's. People often speak about their bjj journey, when all they did was drive to the closest gym until they got a blue belt.

This guy's (jiadar) dedication to wrestling is inspiring. What's cool is it is the tale of a normal dude with an extraordinary interest in wrestling. One of the greatest SD posts ever in my eyes.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/want-to-get-good-at-wrestling-need-some-advice.2370821/page-2

you dont just turtle. you turtle and you grab a leg, preventing the other guy from forming a base. u would know that if you spent a day.

Just like you don’t just pull guard you break their posture so they don’t get good leverage to strike

You switched to wrestling? So whats it like to be the only adult in a room full of kids?

Folkstyle wrestling is much better if you want to fight.

Folkstyle wrestling is much better if you want to fight.
Chael Sonnen says it's why great international wrestlers don't do as well as US wrestlers in the UFC.
Like Yoel Romero, they can take guys down but can't keep them down.

Chael Sonnen says it's why great international wrestlers don't do as well as US wrestlers in the UFC.

I've always found folkstyle wrestling to be far more engaging to watch than freestyle or Greco for this reason. Riding time makes a huge difference. Greco has always struck me as the judo of wrestling.

I absolutely love to wrestle, probably more than I like BJJ. The physicality and speed appeal to me and I think it rewards athleticism and grit. However, I think that BJJ has much more of a culture that supports older athletes over a number of years, so what I'll probably do is train wrestling maybe 1 or 2 times per week (it requires something of a commute) and compete nogi so I can use a lot of what I learn from wrestling in BJJ.

We have a former D1 wrestling coach do a class at the bjj school i train at. Its only once a week and its not a class i can always goto. My game has improved a lot since doing the little bit i do in the class.

Sure, by turtling up you won’t? Giving your back in.a fight is horrible mistake...
Honestly, I think that mainly true if the other guy knows submissions, or at least wrestling. In wrestling you get up to your feet and get hand control and turn to face the opponent which is probably best in a street fight.
Even fighters in MMA successfully turn their backs to get up to their feet sometimes. Some random asshole is less than likely to sink in his hooks and choke you out - because he likely doesn't know shit about subs.
That's not to knock BJJ, but most people wouldn't know what to do in the short window of time a wrestler turned to stand up and escape.

Collegiate wrestling should be the international style. It's superior. You have three phases of wrestling and control is necessary to score points rather than flopping being superior to control. Also, if you get taken down and can't get away... that's your problem. Freestyle you got about 10 seconds last I knew (or the top guy might just show he's not gonna try to score and they stop it). Not sure if it's the exact same thing now, but that's in part because freestyle is constantly going through some weird bullshit rule changes.

Honestly, I think that mainly true if the other guy knows submissions, or at least wrestling. In wrestling you get up to your feet and get hand control and turn to face the opponent which is probably best in a street fight.
Even fighters in MMA successfully turn their backs to get up to their feet sometimes. Some random asshole is less than likely to sink in his hooks and choke you out - because he likely doesn't know shit about subs.
That's not to knock BJJ, but most people wouldn't know what to do in the short window of time a wrestler turned to stand up and escape.

Collegiate wrestling should be the international style. It's superior. You have three phases of wrestling and control is necessary to score points rather than flopping being superior to control. Also, if you get taken down and can't get away... that's your problem. Freestyle you got about 10 seconds last I knew (or the top guy might just show he's not gonna try to score and they stop it). Not sure if it's the exact same thing now, but that's in part because freestyle is constantly going through some weird bullshit rule changes.

In Mma you can’t siccer kick nor hit the spine and back of the head...

You switched to wrestling? So whats it like to be the only adult in a room full of kids?

the gym has no kids, its connected to an mma gym so many of the wrestlers there are mma guys.

Lol well that’s one gym I’ll never do a clinic in

In Mma you can’t siccer kick nor hit the spine and back of the head...
People do hit the back of the head in MMA, and rarely are punished for it (I've never seen it punished). It's very easy to get up quickly against someone who doesn't know how to grapple. And it's possible to protect yourself from taking a bunch of shots to the back of the head.
I think you're thinking of this as if a streetfight is going to involve one opponent who knows what an MMA fighter does, and I don't believe that's the most likely situation in most cases.

People do hit the back of the head in MMA, and rarely are punished for it (I've never seen it punished). It's very easy to get up quickly against someone who doesn't know how to grapple. And it's possible to protect yourself from taking a bunch of shots to the back of the head.
I think you're thinking of this as if a streetfight is going to involve one opponent who knows what an MMA fighter does, and I don't believe that's the most likely situation in most cases.

Being flat on your back or turtle up in a street fight presents the same type of problem, you can get fucked up by other people, if it’s an 1v1 position being flat on your back isn’t bad at all, it you know what your doing you could either stay or do a technical stand up...it’s much safer than being turtle up

with a lack of submission the only advantage I see wrestling have is the standing grappling and take downs. Wrestle are not comfortable on their backs and would turn turtle .

IT would be nice to learn proper stand up clinch and basic trips, takedowns and arm drags. It would really round things out for the average person.

Very odd I am sure. You really only have the chance as in Middle School and HS and then the SHIP HAS SAILED and its gone.
My BJJ class does some wrestling stuff but its not enough for me to apply it. I would need to be hitting the same moves once a week for many months to really do them . Doing a few takedowns every few months seems pointless.

Do most Judo schools spend vast majority of time on throws with little ground work

I wish my gym had a wrestling takedown class only because that would be super fun
The rest of wrestling I don’t like

One thing I really admire about folkstyle is their ability to drag people back to the mat in non takedown situations or constantly break people down so they cant stand up and disengage. A real skill that bjj needs to absorb into its skill set. Alot of guys cant prevent guys from running away, especially in no gi.

Last edited:
Back